PM Yingluck: Let Parliament decide on Amnesty Bill

webfact

PM: Let Parliament decide on Amnesty Bill
By English News

13746585522922.jpg

BANGKOK, July 24 – Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said today she would leave it to the House of Representatives as to whether the Amnesty Bill would be raised for deliberation.

The government’s whip and the ruling Pheu Thai Party have agreed to carry on parliamentary debate on the Amnesty Bill, earlier proposed by Pheu Thai MP Vorachai Hema from Samut Prakan.

The bill, highly criticised by opponents of the amnesty move, is pending debate by the Lower House in the new parliamentary session, starting next month.

Ms Yingluck said she wished to see the debate on the bill to be conducted in a smooth and constructive atmosphere.

There have been reports that some civic groups will protest against the bill which they described as an attempt to whitewash ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, Ms Yingluck’s brother.

Ms Yingluck called on protesters to abide by the law in their demonstrations against the bill and said opponents have their right to protest.

She urged the media to fairly and accurately report the issue to avoid conflicts, saying this is not a matter of any individual but of the entire nation.

Asked if she would push for deliberation of the Amnesty Bill in the Defence Council meeting, Ms Yingluck who is concurrently defence minister said the issue was not on the Defence Council’s agenda and leaders of the armed forces have never been asked to discuss the matter.

The prime minister side-stepped a question on her standpoint towards the Amnesty Bill but said the government wants peace and justice for the people.

“I’d like to seek all related parties’ cooperation in maintaining a good atmosphere. We support debates in Parliament where discussions are held among representatives of the people,” she said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-07-24

Ms Yingluck called on protesters to abide by the law in their demonstrations against the bill and said opponents have their right to protest.

Great. So can we threaten to kidnap you YS? Nothing was ever said to the red shirt terrorists when they said it to the judges.

Brilliant. Set fire to parliament if the UDD amnesty bill passes. You wont be held accountable.

You set a really good precedent YS.

Let me see. The largest party in parliament is PTP, which is wholly owned by Thaksin. So she is saying let a convicted criminal decide if he serve his time, and let's forget about all the other charges.

Why would people be upset about that?

"Ms Yingluck called on protesters to abide by the law in their demonstrations against the bill..."

But convicted criminals should just bloody ignore it, or change it to suit themselves.

Agreed.

She states this because she knows the outcome.

Edited by Markaew
  • Like 1

If I was the PM I would leave it up to the Parliament also to determine if the amnesty bill will be deliberated. Let me see, the PTP is the ruling/majority party in the Parliament...I wonder if the PTP-written and sponsored amnesty bill will be deliberated? Gosh, I just don't know what will happen. Plus, by the PM saying she will leave it up to the Parliament once again assigns no responsibility to her...she's just a dis-interested observer...yea, right.

Let me see. The largest party in parliament is PTP, which is wholly owned by Thaksin. So she is saying let a convicted criminal decide if he serve his time, and let's forget about all the other charges.

"Ms Yingluck called on protesters to abide by the law in their demonstrations against the bill..."

But convicted criminals should just bloody ignore it, or change it to suit themselves.

As much as I dislike this government and agree with the sentiment in your post, the PTP was legally elected by the people, so it their choice if they want to press ahead with the amnesty bill!

If the voters then are not happy with the decissions made by the people in power, they can vote them out next time. Will probably not happen, because far to many kwai's in this country! whistling.gif

You and I can dislike it, as much as we want, but that is not going to change the fact, that Thailand have the government they deserve. w00t.gif

Whilst agreeing in principle with the above is it not still the case that only HM can grant amnesty to lawbreakers?

Edited by metisdead
Reply repaired.

She urged the media to fairly and accurately report the issue to avoid conflicts, saying this is not a matter of any individual but of the entire nation.

I think we'll agree to disagree on that point Ms Yingluck bah.gif

If it goes through, let the blood bath begin.

After that, watch the reds cry as they realise they've been betrayed and they cannot rise up agian as they have no sponsor, so no 300 per day. And the one they thought they had has bought the military so they will die in the hundreds if they protest, while the gov./dict steals their land coz they cannot pay bak the money the gov lent them.

Easy to see. Maybe not to read.

Thais seem to love hitler. Look at someone's speeches on u tube, spot the similarities and you've got what's coming.

As much as I dislike this government and agree with the sentiment in your post, the PTP was legally elected by the people, so it their choice if they want to press ahead with the amnesty bill!

If the voters then are not happy with the decissions made by the people in power, they can vote them out next time. Will probably not happen, because far to many kwai's in this country! whistling.gif

You and I can dislike it, as much as we want, but that is not going to change the fact, that Thailand have the government they deserve. w00t.gif

Yes it is true that it was the people that elected them. But remember it was only 48% that did 52% did not want them.

So in affect we have a government that the people do not want. Particularly now that they have bungled every thing they have put their hand to.

I have no doubt what so ever that any amnesty plan that does not include amnesty for Thaksin and give him back the money he stole from the people will never be talked about in parliament.

The bill proposed by the relatives is a very fair proposition as many of the people it would cover have already been in Jail for 2 years where as the people it does not cover are running around free. Yet it will never even get a mention.

You say

"Thailand have the government they deserve"

What kind of a statement is that to make against people just because they have very little education. Even with their low education level the majority did not want them.sad.png

• Like 2

She says

"Ms Yingluck called on protesters to abide by the law in their demonstrations against the bill and said opponents have their right to protest."

Just like her the red shirts did in their protest in 2010.

Or obey the law like she did when she tried to spend all the money allotted to for water control.

If the courts hadn't stopped her she would have done just like the red shirts did and got away with in 2010 just do as they please. Dosen't matter what the law say's we have Thaksins OK.

Of course, this means total amnesty for the likes of the mad monk currently holed up in the US and anyone who has fled Thailand and the Thai justice system in the past.. Hmmm.

Maybe it won't extend to those parties.

I can remember when Poll Pot attempted to take advantage of his contrived pardon... how long did that last?..... 15 minutes??

The leader is getting impatient. 5 cabinet re-shuffles and they still haven't managed to contrive laws that get him back free of his conviction, sentence and the more serious outstanding charges. The fact he won't come back and appeal the conviction, or face the outstanding charges, even though he owns and controls the current government says a lot. He's probab;y had his money refunded, with ample interest already.

Yingluck will be quite happy to let others push this through so she can declare it the "will of the people."

They must feel more confident now the neutralizing of potential military opposition seems well under way.

MP's are elected to represent their constituents and to use their judgement in all matters since MP's have access to facts and research facilities not available to the common herd. It does not give them the right to ride roughshod over the opiniions of their one time supporters. This lot will follow the Government line or face having their snouts removed from the trough. The will of the people is by no means same same that of their elected representatives and YS should know that. (emphasis on should). Letting Mr. Big back in as a free man is wrong on so many counts but then morality takes a back seat here.

Even if the Amnesty Bill goes through surely Thaksin knows that he has a multitude of enemies here and amongst that number there is bound to be more than a few hot heads. The checkbin to ensure his safebeing would be enormous. Although once touted as being the big cheese of ASEAN surely he doesn't think he can restore his previous standing. My message to him is 'you are still ahead of the game, having much much more than you started out with. Be content with what you have got and piss off somewhere. There are far better places to live than Thailand and you can afford any of them.'

Is there going to come a time in Thai history that politicians are going to lead the country??

Or are they just keep wasting their time and money on fighting each other and blaming and finger pointing.

The Taliban threw Afghanistan back in the stone ages, this government is doing the same. nothing is being done in the country.

Yes, let the people decide. Let's have a referendum on whether Thai people would like to see that criminal on the run return to Thailand, and let's have the UN send monitors to make sure that it is a fair vote and none of the votes are bought by either side. Let's see what the people really want.

Ah yes, let parliament decide. Which means PTP decides &, in turn, the paymaster decides on his own amnesty. Democracy Thaksin style.

A referendum should be the way to decide this farce. But they might lose (shades of the constitutional re-write) so we can't have that.

Something tells me that there will be quite a few Thais who will not be happy with this and some of those will feel strongly enough to start another season of protests. Will the red shirts allow that? Will the police? Not a pleasant scenario.

• Like 1

The reluctance to have a national referendum on this matter is a clear indication of how Thaksins brown nosing acolytes see the reality of the situation.

Of course Parliament should decide it is a bought and paid for and in certain cases ministers and a clutch of assorted ordinary members are held to ransom by already written resignation notices, thus the outcome is totally predictable.

We would se the emergence of the Thaksin clique overtly as the dictatorship that will be siphoning off the monies from the states coffers into their own coffers. Of course some small change will be thrown to the tame toadys.

No opposition to the financial rape of Thailand nor the euthanasia of what passes for democracy here at the moment.O indeed paradise personified for the people involved, such a sweet dream, however dreams have a habit of turning into nightmares for the dreamers

In Thaksins twilight dream world and his multi faceted minds all would be well Oh yes of course Parliament must decide on the amnesty matter, however all actions have a consequence,.

Thaksin and his brown nosing acolytes would do well to remember what their sponsorship of mob rule led to last time round, Only next time around they will find that their hand is not controlling the masses of, people of all class levels who are wising up to the con tricks of this ragbag of political shysters known as the P.T.P.the people have seen what can be achieved and all those assorted factions with their own agendas will indeed be an interesting recipe for unrest with no outright winners.

If I was a politician in this current ruling clique I certainly would not be sleeping abed at night peacefully,No doubt a number of escapes clauses have been written, escape routes opened and clandestine allegiances to other groups have been made too ready to bolt down when push comes to shove.

One is led to wonder just how long it is going to be before the tickets are on sale publicly for the big show with all its cast of dubious characters

Our PM seems to want to distance herself from the amnesty debate. Perhaps she has forgotten (again) that she was elected first (even if by the corrupt party list system) as a member of parliament, and then as PM. Will she recuse herself from the vote as having a conflict of interest? Has never seemed to bother her before.

The reluctance to have a national referendum on this matter is a clear indication of how Thaksins brown nosing acolytes see the reality of the situation.

Of course Parliament should decide it is a bought and paid for and in certain cases ministers and a clutch of assorted ordinary members are held to ransom by already written resignation notices, thus the outcome is totally predictable.

We would se the emergence of the Thaksin clique overtly as the dictatorship that will be siphoning off the monies from the states coffers into their own coffers. Of course some small change will be thrown to the tame toadys.

No opposition to the financial rape of Thailand nor the euthanasia of what passes for democracy here at the moment.O indeed paradise personified for the people involved, such a sweet dream, however dreams have a habit of turning into nightmares for the dreamers

In Thaksins twilight dream world and his multi faceted minds all would be well Oh yes of course Parliament must decide on the amnesty matter, however all actions have a consequence,.

Thaksin and his brown nosing acolytes would do well to remember what their sponsorship of mob rule led to last time round, Only next time around they will find that their hand is not controlling the masses of, people of all class levels who are wising up to the con tricks of this ragbag of political shysters known as the P.T.P.the people have seen what can be achieved and all those assorted factions with their own agendas will indeed be an interesting recipe for unrest with no outright winners.

If I was a politician in this current ruling clique I certainly would not be sleeping abed at night peacefully,No doubt a number of escapes clauses have been written, escape routes opened and clandestine allegiances to other groups have been made too ready to bolt down when push comes to shove.

One is led to wonder just how long it is going to be before the tickets are on sale publicly for the big show with all its cast of dubious characters

Superb post. U only forgot to mention that the gang are trying to get control of the military.

If they do, there will not, and never cannot be any protest. Consequences will be death.

Welcome to Pol Pot, Thailand democracy style.

Btw. do you know where Pol Pot spent his last years and who paid for them? And who is Mr. T's best buddy.

Ever heard of the Khmer Rouge.

Settle yer pension funds and run.