Musical Instruments

Vinny's post about bringing his stuff has got me thinking about my plans later this year. I'll retire in November and plan on heading for Thailand. I'm a picker, I play guitar and mandolin, and I would like to bring 'em both. I'm pretty attached to both instruments and would hate to have them get tied up in customs.

So, the question is am I going to have any problem going through immigration and customs with a suitcase, guitar and mandolin in hand? I'll be coming in on a 60-day tourist visa which I plan to change to a retirement visa if everything works out.

If carrying two instruments might get me untoward attention, I could stash the mandolin in a suitcase and just carry the guitar. Anyone have any experience bringing a guitar into Thailand?

Vinny's post about bringing his stuff has got me thinking about my plans later this year. I'll retire in November and plan on heading for Thailand. I'm a picker, I play guitar and mandolin, and I would like to bring 'em both. I'm pretty attached to both instruments and would hate to have them get tied up in customs.

So, the question is am I going to have any problem going through immigration and customs with a suitcase, guitar and mandolin in hand? I'll be coming in on a 60-day tourist visa which I plan to change to a retirement visa if everything works out.

If carrying two instruments might get me untoward attention, I could stash the mandolin in a suitcase and just carry the guitar. Anyone have any experience bringing a guitar into Thailand?

Obviously with a name like Pianoman, I have had experience taking musical instruments all around the world... Last time that I carried an instrument thru BKK it was a large 88 note full sized keyboard in a hard shell case... Customs just looked at the case and I said that I played piano, and they waved me on.... I have also carried thru guitars on three previous trips, twice for friends and once for myself... Only once did they even slow me down, and that was just to admire the Martin D28 that I was bringing over for a friend...

Bring them and Enjoy...

Pianoman

no problem bringing stuff through the airport, although I did hear oe report of a sax plyer having his sax confiscated at the airport for not having a work permit.... But I've brought drums through and so have my sister + mom.

I've taken an acoustic guitar through BKK without bother. I travelled in a hard case in addition to two bags and hand baggage. It was weighed, however.

As an alternative, guitars in Thailand are not expensive to buy.