Anyone know a good housekeeper?

RogerHangDong

I am an older gent (septuagenarian) and I am looking for a lass to help me with my daily routine. I cant get around very well, so she will need to be able to lift me up a little bit in the morning to help me out of bed. She will need to cook for me, nothing fancy mind you, and of course daily cleaning. She will need to go shopping for me, but I have an old motorbike she can use if she doesnt have a ride.

I dont fancy unreliable girls, I need someone extraordinary.

Im unsure as to how much I might need to pay her. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good housekeeper looking to help take care of a diabetic, half blind, 10 stone geezer?

Im new to this place, and I live near Hang Dong. I dont speak Thai, so if she is from Laos, Thailand or Burma I hope she can speak some English.

Cheers,

Rog

Edited by RogerHangDong

That is a tough one. You are looking for more than a housekeeper.

Live in or live out? Everyday?

What kind of cooking, all Thai okay or do you need farang food?

You mention "a lass" and "girls" but how about a woman or even a man?

What do you mean by extraordinary?

Good luck.

Good luck.

Im not sure about living in, I like my privacy sometimes, so maybe just a daily girl to come in and take care of things every day.

I l\can eat Thai food but not spicy, and of course I can always go our for fish and chips.

I say girls because at my age, every woman is a girl. A man might be ok, but I would not feel comfortable with a man helping me get in and out of the shower.

Extraordinary means I dont want her to come and just sit around. Someone who takes initiative.

Good luck.

Im not sure about living in, I like my privacy sometimes, so maybe just a daily girl to come in and take care of things every day.

I l\can eat Thai food but not spicy, and of course I can always go our for fish and chips.

I say girls because at my age, every woman is a girl. A man might be ok, but I would not feel comfortable with a man helping me get in and out of the shower.

Extraordinary means I dont want her to come and just sit around. Someone who takes initiative.

Everyday will be difficult because people need some time off.

You would not feel comfortable with a man helping you in and out of a shower but unless she is a nurse, many if not most women would not feel comfortable having to do it for you.

There are some assisted living places in Chiang Mai, McKean I think has one, which might meet your needs rather than trying to organize it all yourself. Some information has been posted here in the past and NancyL might be helpful as she is part of a group that provides assistance if I understand correctly. You might try to send her a PM.

• Like 1

good luck on that one.

you are not looking for a housekeeper. you are looking for an English speaking home health-care taker. you will need to contact a home health care agency. my rough guess is they will charge you 30K THB per month for a trained employee to come 7 days per week. we once needed a trained nurse to come for about 8 hours a day and it was 500 Baht per day/shift and that was only Thais doing the talking/paying with no farang involvement. for someone to take care of your personal needs plus doing the cooking, shopping, etc., expect to pay double that.

to help you out of bed, in the shower, etc. they may well send a male nurse as some female nurses may not feel comfortable like nurses in the West.

Edited by Oscar2

I'm in Phuket so not much help to you, but as a guide, I know of a "lass" helping an elderly American in much the same way as you describe. She is paid 20,000.

My GF says plenty of ladies can do. Don't know about CM.

Incidentally, the lady has a BF elsewhere. It's strictly just a job.

Edited by Old Croc

I must say, Roger, you are probably not going to find that 'Special' person very easily--you may well have to try out quite a few before you even find someone reliable, let alone up to 'Western Standards'.

I feel for you--Good luck--sure, if I hear of anyone I'll PM you--but, don't hold your breath.

I'm in Hang Dong, also.

I, also, reckon the figure of around 20K baht per month is not unrealistic.

If you need lifting it may not be practicable to rely on a Thai girl because of their small stature. They are strong but twice their body weight is a bit much. You may be better off or safer if you can get a couple in your neighbood and make arangements for them to help you get out of bed. The lady could then clean the house and the man help or go his own way and it should only take a morning. I think you may have less chance of getting ripped off with this arangement too.

If the worst comes to the worst the care facility at McCloean hospital has good airconditioned rooms and general nursing etc car for 30000 a month. food and medical costs are more of course.

If you need lifting it may not be practicable to rely on a Thai girl because of their small stature. They are strong but twice their body weight is a bit much. You may be better off or safer if you can get a couple in your neighbood and make arangements for them to help you get out of bed. The lady could then clean the house and the man help or go his own way and it should only take a morning. I think you may have less chance of getting ripped off with this arangement too.

If the worst comes to the worst the care facility at McCloean hospital has good airconditioned rooms and general nursing etc car for 30000 a month. food and medical costs are more of course.

Good point Harry.

Something the OP might wish to consider, should the condition be static or likely to deteriorate - is an 'Electric Patient Lift'. These can be purchased in Thailand and considering their function do not take up a lot of space. For sure, initial training of the Carer (s) designated to operate the lift is required, but it is very straightforward and provided the OP is alert during the lifting procedure, to monitor the process, should be of minimum risk.

Gladiator

• Like 1

Good point Harry.

Something the OP might wish to consider, should the condition be static or likely to deteriorate - is an 'Electric Patient Lift'. These can be purchased in Thailand and considering their function do not take up a lot of space. For sure, initial training of the Carer (s) designated to operate the lift is required, but it is very straightforward and provided the OP is alert during the lifting procedure, to monitor the process, should be of minimum risk.

Gladiator

Thanks Gladiator. That might just do the trick. I had an adjustable bed that raised my head and feet and never had a problem getting out of bed.

Good point Harry.

Gladiator

Thanks Gladiator. That might just do the trick. I had an adjustable bed that raised my head and feet and never had a problem getting out of bed.

You may be better getting a solid frame above your bed made and having a few well placed grab points. You do not want to ave to rely on someone else always being there if you do not have to. Hoists are really 2 person things and very expensive here too. Of course not knowing your circumstances makes it hard to make suggestions.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1