Preaching Of Non-buddhist Religions In Thailand

Ground Engineer

I have been a Buddhist for 11 years but this is my first post on this Buddhist forum. I am concerned at what I call the invasion of non Buddhist religions into Buddhist countries like Thailand. In particular the likes of christian missionaries which set up schools with the view of attracting vunerable Thais and forcing christianity on them.

Does anyone in the forum have any similar concerns or views?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been a Buddhist for 11 years but this is my first post on this Buddhist forum. I am concerned at what I call the invasion of non Buddhist religions into Buddhist countries like Thailand. In particular the likes of christian missionaries which set up schools with the view of attracting vunerable Thais and forcing christianity on them.

The Buddha taught his disciples to be tolerant of other religions. For example, when one lights a candle from the flame of another candle, the flame of the first candle does not lose its light. Instead, the two lights glow more brightly together. It is the same with the great religions of the world.

Well, people convert to another religion due to ignorance, disappointment or because they find it more attractive eg. A foreigner convert to Muslim because of his attractive bride. As a lay buddhist, would you endeavour to spend the rest of your life teaching the pure Dharma to the people concerned, and be a good light in obeying the 5 precepts & in following the noble Eightfold Path?

If other 'organised' religious people truly believed in their religions, then why do they see the need to 'recruit'? A lack of faith, perhaps?

I think it's best to ignore the religious zealots & worry about yourself & your life. These pathetic & insecure religious creatures are to be pitied...if one has the energy.

Are you trying to say that because I am a Buddhist I shouldnt have a problem with the propagation other other religions. Well I do actually.

The Buddha taught his disciples to be tolerant of other religions. For example, when one lights a candle from the flame of another candle, the flame of the first candle does not lose its light. Instead, the two lights glow more brightly together. It is the same with the great religions of the world.

In what Sutra did the Buddha teach his deciples to be tolerant of other religions?

This sounds extremely tolerant to me......

This is to be done by one skilled in aims

who wants to break through to the state of peace:

Be capable, upright, & straightforward,

easy to instruct, gentle, & not conceited,

content & easy to support,

with few duties, living lightly,

with peaceful faculties, masterful,

modest, & no greed for supporters.

Do not do the slightest thing

that the wise would later censure.

Think: Happy, at rest,

may all beings be happy at heart.

Whatever beings there may be,

weak or strong, without exception,

long, large,

middling, short,

subtle, blatant,

seen & unseen,

near & far,

born & seeking birth:

May all beings be happy at heart.

Let no one deceive another

or despise anyone anywhere,

or through anger or irritation

wish for another to suffer.

As a mother would risk her life

to protect her child, her only child,

even so should one cultivate a limitless heart

with regard to all beings.

With good will for the entire cosmos,

cultivate a limitless heart:

Above, below, & all around,

unobstructed, without enmity or hate.

Whether standing, walking,

sitting, or lying down,

as long as one is alert,

one should be resolved on this mindfulness.

This is called a sublime abiding

here & now.

Not taken with views,

but virtuous & consummate in vision,

having subdued desire for sensual pleasures,

one never again

will lie in the womb.

The Karanitta sutra(sp?)

There are many other translations, but so far have found no contradictions.

It is truly unfortunate that that same tollerance is not applied in so many other phylosophies.

I agree!

I think the sooner the people of this world realize there is only one world and we all have to live in it together, the better.

Well said!

One problem with these discussions is that people will bring in all their personal prejudices. Let's remember that people have the right to choose their own paths, whatever that may be.

Thailand will always be a Buddhist country, the few percent that are not, will always remain just that, a few percent...

Just follow your path to the truth.

Buddhism is probably the most tolerant religion of the world, and it can coexist with any other religion. Buddhism agrees with the moral teachings of other religions but Buddhism goes further by providing a long term purpose within our existence, through wisdom and true understanding. Real Buddhism is very tolerant and not concerned with labels like 'Christian', 'Moslem', 'Hindu' or 'Buddhist'; that is why there have never been any wars fought in the name of Buddhism. That is why Buddhists do not preach and try to convert, only explain if an explanation is sought.

Besides the The Karanitta sutra, it is also mentioned in the Lotus sutra.

Chapter 14 is the portion of the sutra dealing with actual practice and attitude befitting a bodhisattva and representative of the Lotus Sutra. It lays out a four-part scheme to aid the bodhisattva (1) in establishing the healthiest and most effective relationships within and outside the sangha, (2) in meditation, (3) in keeping tolerant attitudes towards other Buddhist faiths, and (4) in aspiring to buddhahood in order to use one's powers of buddhahood to literally draw beings towards enlightenment.

---

Many Westerners are attracted to Buddhism because of its apparent tolerance. Although there is a body of teaching, it is not forced on the individual in a dogmatic way. Claxton states that even the Buddhist doctrine of reincarnation does not have to be adhered to. The only requirement that Claxton thinks is necessary is that a person must believe that it is possible for one's personality to change and that things can be seen differently. Room for tolerance is therefore wide.

The Buddha himself taught that there are as many ways of teaching the darma as there are practitioners of it. As well as Buddhism's creed of tolerance, others are attracted because it is not necessary to conform to any particular form of clothing, haircut, or ritual.

Unlike many other religions, Buddhism is also attractive to Europeans not only because of the tolerance that exists within its own system but also in its general acceptance towards other world faiths. It is this acceptance that attracted the Jesuit missionary Hugo Makibi Enomiya-Lassalle (1898-1990) to Buddhism and motivated him to incorporate Zen meditation practice into Catholic worship, proposing 'Zen for Christian'.

-Theravada Buddhism is neither prescriptive, authoritative, nor exclusive in its attitude toward its followers and is tolerant of other religions.

-Shinto Buddhism is a tolerant religion which accepts the validity of other religions. It is common for a believer to pay respects to other religions, their practices and objects of worship.

It is truly unfortunate that that same tollerance is not applied in so many other phylosophies.

I agree!

I think the sooner the people of this world realize there is only one world and we all have to live in it together, the better.

Well said!

One problem with these discussions is that people will bring in all their personal prejudices. Let's remember that people have the right to choose their own paths, whatever that may be.

Thailand will always be a Buddhist country, the few percent that are not, will always remain just that, a few percent...

Just follow your path to the truth.

Suegha and I have had a run in on this topic before. :o I believe we agreed to disagree. Yes, I have a problem with this. However, I do believe that people should choose their own path. So, I take comfort that Buddhist will always be in Asia and they will make up more than 90%. Because Buddha is Asian and that is tradition. Those who wish to take away people's free will to choose even by trickery will have limited success. If they puch too much I believe most Asian cutures will push back. So, no worries. :D

It's not only some of the radical Born Again Christian sects setting up churches in especially the hilltribe areas, but in those areas there is also lots of pressure put on the hilltribes to convert to Buddhism. Which is not exactly in the spirit of famed Buddhist tolerance.

My only wish is that Thailand NEVER becomes 'Christianised'. I think that Thailand is great the way that it is. I think that 'certain' groups of people make Christian values some form of weird 'law', which I detest immensely. But then again, are not a country's current laws primarily based & grounded upon it's religious values?

I think that it would be wise to understand about the advent of any 'organised' religion. How & why does such a powerful thing (religion) exist? There are not many logical answers to this but there is one answer that certainly 'fits the bill'.

My only wish is that Thailand NEVER becomes 'Christianised'.

Very little chance that Thailand is ever becoming Christianised.

The problem zones are in the areas of the disenfranchised, namely the hilltribe areas. And there pressures by Born Again Christian Churches and Buddhist organisations to convert those ethnic minorities are equally reprehensable.

If it weren't for buddhism "invading" other countries I probably wouldn't be one now. I came across it in Canada. As a matter of fact, if buddhism hadn't invaded animist Thailand there would be no Thai buddhists.

Religions have been spreading across the globe since the first neanderthal started to thank the sun for it's warmth. Don't sweat it, just be tolerant. It's the natural way of things.

cv

If it weren't for buddhism "invading" other countries I probably wouldn't be one now. I came across it in Canada. As a matter of fact, if buddhism hadn't invaded animist Thailand there would be no Thai buddhists.

Religions have been spreading across the globe since the first neanderthal started to thank the sun for it's warmth. Don't sweat it, just be tolerant. It's the natural way of things.

cv

I don't think that REAL Buddhists would 'invade' another country to 'spread their word'. I DO think that it could possibly be a splinter group who would do such a thing.

Religion is an incredibly powerful thing & some people know this & use this as such. Sounds a bit like the explanation about why there are many christian faiths. If you look at this, it seems like many people tried to harness power through religion.

Nothing has changed. The Christian religion has split many times, all in the name of POWER. I hope the Buddhist religion never stoops to this extremely low level. It's disgusting & egotistical.

I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with missionaries being here ... just as I have no problem with the monks in Denver Colorado going to schools and teaching. It's an attachment to how one thinks things SHOULD be here that causes problems for the Buddhist practioner here.

I know 3 youngish guys that have "converted" to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons). We talked at length. They have no more converted than anyone else I have met here has. They were attracted to the missionaries and wanted to spend time with them practicing English.

Some people would want to make Buddhism into something less tolerant (and because of the nature of Buddhism --- diluted) by making Buddhism less tolerant. It is illegal to evangelize in Malaysia (and other Muslim countries too). What would people have it be? Like the convert to Christianity on the sub-continent that was under penalty of death?

I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with missionaries being here ... just as I have no problem with the monks in Denver Colorado going to schools and teaching. It's an attachment to how one thinks things SHOULD be here that causes problems for the Buddhist practioner here.

I know 3 youngish guys that have "converted" to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons). We talked at length. They have no more converted than anyone else I have met here has. They were attracted to the missionaries and wanted to spend time with them practicing English.

Some people would want to make Buddhism into something less tolerant (and because of the nature of Buddhism --- diluted) by making Buddhism less tolerant. It is illegal to evangelize in Malaysia (and other Muslim countries too). What would people have it be? Like the convert to Christianity on the sub-continent that was under penalty of death?

I totally agree with you! The 'Spanish Inquisition' says a lot about the power mongering that happened a long time ago. The problem is that this 'power mongering' is still happeneing, albeit in a different way.

....but Jesus said only through him can you enter the kingdom of heaven!

If other 'organised' religious people truly believed in their religions, then why do they see the need to 'recruit'? A lack of faith, perhaps?

I think it's best to ignore the religious zealots & worry about yourself & your life. These pathetic & insecure religious creatures are to be pitied...if one has the energy.

Someone hit on it above ... but Buddhism is not like all other religions (though closer to it's roots in Hinduism).

The Judeao/Christian/Muslim beliefs say there is only one life .. and one way to heaven. People that truly believe that would be bound by their faith to pass that on. (Though Jews don't usually do that)

The missionaries that I actively approve of are actually not pushing their faiths on other people but instead are just trying to help people and living their lives. The converts they get are real. (Like people teaching for free in places without access to education/medicine etc that don't require attendance at church to get the schooling or medical care.)

My partner went to a Christian school that has been in operation for more than 70 years .... and was in no way touched by the faith espoused at the school.

I don't think that REAL Buddhists would 'invade' another country to 'spread their word'. I DO think that it could possibly be a splinter group who would do such a thing.

Buddhist icons like Guatama Buddha, Bodhidharma, and countless others have spread buddhism across the globe. It's never forced upon anyone, but it's offered to anyone who will listen. The Mahayana branch especialy spread wide, even as the Therevadan branch remained fairly localised nearer it's roots.

To define a "real buddhist" misses the whole point of buddhism IMO.

cv

Guest endure

It's a pity the Salvation Army aren't in Thailand. Brass bands and charity without preaching - the way to do it. :o

Guest endure

Not here in the Uk. Don't know about anywhere else. When the bomb exploded in London they were the only organisation allowed inside the cordon to hand out tea and buns. When I was young and disreputable I often blagged a cup of tea off the Sallies and they never preached at all. :o

I thought the Sally's were pretty tight with aid to people ... require them to sit through a sermon before a free meal etc.

Without question, and without expecting anything in return is what I've seen from the Salvation Army and giving help to people. It's one of the few religious organisations I'll give money to, and it's for that reason. In a former career I saw just about every calamity and disaster that came about, and they were usually the first to offer help, without any preaching involved.

cv

cv

Most of the time they are invited. We have Tibetan Buddhists where I live and they were invited by a group here which helped to get them set up in a sort of temple. They don't walk the streets but always welcome guests.

Religion is an incredibly powerful thing & some people know this & use this as such. Sounds a bit like the explanation about why there are many christian faiths. If you look at this, it seems like many people tried to harness power through religion.

Nothing has changed. The Christian religion has split many times, all in the name of POWER. I hope the Buddhist religion never stoops to this extremely low level. It's disgusting & egotistical.