A 'TRUE Experience

walkerun

A ’TRUE’ EXPERIENCE

The purchase of a new computer at the beginning of January was exciting; now Internet connection was required. Travelling to the TrueMove office in Airport Plaza brought to me to a customer desk where a pleasant girl explained that they had a promotion. She could sell me a 3G+ 7.2 Mbps Aircard for only 69 baht although I would also need to buy a Sim card.

I could not believe the price because a similar looking item in Pantip Plaza might be between 1000 and 2000 baht! She insisted that the promotion was of a short period and I should not miss this opportunity. The Air and Sim cards were purchased and I rushed home to test my new acquisition. But no success even with determination and persistence. Two ‘geek’ friends tried their hand with the same result. A return visit to the TrueMove office now led me to a fellow who explained that the Aircard was totally inappropriate for my use and I should not have been sold the USB item. “No, we cannot refund your money”.

“Can you provide me with a system that does work because I now have an urgent need for Internet?” “Of course”, he replied. “889 baht” Half an hour later with formalities completed for a WiFi system, I returned home after paying 989 baht! Questioning the 100 baht above the quotation gave me the response that the literature was old and I must pay the new price. At home, however, no Internet connection could be obtained and my geek friends were equally unsuccessful. I returned to the office this time with my computer. One young man tried for an hour to make the connection. I asked for my money to be returned. He just called on a colleague for assistance. After another hour they “thought it should work”.

By mid February I was getting irritable with lack of connection and telephoned the office to explain that I did not want that system – “Please come and install a working device”. At the end of February a technician came with a router that would give me cable or WiFi. The next day the WiFi worked but the cable connection had failed. A return visit by the technician fixed the problem; I received an elaborate bill for 00,000 baht (!) and left Thailand for Europe.

Returning some weeks later to Chiang Mai I was shocked to get a bill for 2,257 baht for the earlier failed system. Ouch!

Back at the TrueMove office I explained my story. The girl said I must pay the bill or talk to another lady. A second girl told me to pay the bill or talk to her Manageress. “Let me talk to her”, I pleaded. “She is not here: come back in about an hour”. I returned and talked to the Manageress. She was tight lipped, refused to hear my story and rudely demanded that I pay my bill. “Until the account is settled your name will stay in my computer”.

I made a generous offer. “I will pay for the failed system up to the installation of the working connection”. “You will pay your bill or we will inform our lawyers because you did not come to the office to sign the paper cancelling your earlier contract” (that was the first I had heard about the need to sign a cancellation in the office, although the company were pleased to make a new connection based on my telephone cancellation).

A week later I received another copy of the account giving me seven days to make the payment. Please advise me – what should I do? I still have the Aircard and I am prepared to sell it to the first person coming with 2,257 baht cash. For promotion I will throw in a free Sim card.

Walkerun

Never had any problem so complex like that in over 25 years of visiting/living here. Sure, have had to go back places a 2nd time (often) but everything was always resolved in 5 minutes with a smile and to my satisfaction.

I don't understand when I hear or read stories/experiences like the above.

• Like 2

It is beyond me.

I have not been here as long as elektrified (7 years) and have never had any thing like that happen to me.

I am amazed you kept going back to them.

I have an AIS air stick no BS promotion. I forget how much I paid some thing like 2,000 baht. About 7 months ago I was having problems I took it in with me when I went to pay my bill. They put a new Sim Card in free.

In April it kept disconnecting. It would connect up again right away but I had to minimize the screen and reconnect and it worked every time. Some times 10 minutes some times one hour. But it would invariably disconnect again.

I took the air card with me and they used it on their own computer I was there for half an hour when they came back and told me that it was their equipment and the problem would be solved next month.

It was now I admit it still happens about once a day and I can live with that.

I had problems with True before, now I dont go near them. Seems the sales people, working often from a small table in front of the shops, lie. Sold my GF on some promotion but changed the deal one month later and we had to pay more.

Had a lot of hassle when we cancelled their True Vision as well, they just refused to give back the deposit without having a reason for it. Not until we threatened to lodge a complaint with the police did they release the deposit. Maybe they try to screw over the farang since they think we might go home to our home countries and have no time to make trouble, or that we will just give up.

Never any problems with TOT or BBB.....

My own experiences with TRUE were similar, lies, inefficient staff, incorrect invoices etc. In the end I gave them the 2,000 baht they demanded, told them to take the sateliite dish away and never darken my door again. In my opinion a company to steer clear of.

• Like 1

I read a couple of comments above about the return of a deposit from True. I cancelled my True gold package more than 2 years ago but don't remember anything about a deposit. I suppose I could have paid a deposit but don't remember as it was 6 years ago. How much is the deposit anyway before I bother to hunt down the paperwork from 2007? Do you have to return the satellite dish and receiver to get it back and if so, who is responsible for removing the dish?

+1 for avoiding TRUE

Although they have very good infrastructure, they're a horrible company to deal with. Not to mention their advertising and constant spam, which gets very annoying.

Much happier with DTAC for mobile and 3BB for home internet.

Edited by wynzlo