Fund transfer question

jiangaq

If the funds transferred from overseas to my SCB account, but I dont want to withdraw it, just keep it in my savings account for 1yr fix deposit:

1. Does SCB only save the oversea funds in my THB account, not having USD account?

2. If so, when I get notification from SCB that "well you guy now can get the oversea funds from the bank", which means I can now get and use my money but only in THB instead of USD, the bank has already changed the currency by using the current exchange rate when they get the funds from overseas? Is it correct?

Thanks.

Your question is not so clear. I seems you only have a regular SCB savings account, and have: not set up a US$ account facility. The transferred money will be converted to Thai baht.

I suppose when they tell the money is available = the money has cleared.

You would need to set up a separate fixed deposit account at your SCB.

• Like 1

Post is not so clear but like Darth Sidious says, your funds will automatically be transferred to THB. I believe you will have a difficult time opening a USD account at SCB. They have raised the minimum balance levels required considerably at most Thai banks, and even then, upon approval only. Some banks and brokerage firms are beginning to hand Americans U.S. tax forms to sign before they can open an account like that now. I was quite surprised when they handed me one the first time. Also, if you are American and try to open a GBP account, they will refuse it.

Very easy to open a Foreign Currency Account at Bangkok Bank. It arrives and stays in US Dollars. You change it to the baht when you want to. Every time I change some into baht the baht gets cheaper the next day, so I hope your guesses are better than mine. A hefty 1% charge to take it out in US dollars, no charge to convert to baht, when you want to.

Very easy to open a Foreign Currency Account at Bangkok Bank. It arrives and stays in US Dollars. You change it to the baht when you want to. Every time I change some into baht the baht gets cheaper the next day, so I hope your guesses are better than mine. A hefty 1% charge to take it out in US dollars, no charge to convert to baht, when you want to.

How recently did you open a USD account? What was the minimum deposit required? Were you required to sign a U.S. tax form (if you are a U.S. citizen of course)?