I just saw an accident

Can be awfully shocking to witness.

I've never seen a serious road accident happen here (just the remnants of one almost every time I travel intercity). But have seen a jumper from a carpark. It stays with you a few days.

Tonight, have a decent shower followed by a few beers. Such deaths are unfortunately part of life in Thailand and there's nothing we can do to change that.

Bus was coming from the little bridge (rachatewi) i was at the red light opposite the Art center. Lights went green and wooooft the bus passed so fast. I was surprised and then heard the tires break and boom in a bike... He stayed on the ground without moving at all. 10m from the police station

That is why I never pull away 1st when the lights change to green... Always hang back a few seconds and see what comes through the reds !! They never want to wait for the next set of green lights, as if they will get anywhere so much quicker by jumping a red ???

• Like 1

That is why I never pull away 1st when the lights change to green... Always hang back a few seconds and see what comes through the reds !! They never want to wait for the next set of green lights, as if they will get anywhere so much quicker by jumping a red ???

Good advice which many should follow!

• Like 1

Good advice which many should follow!

Good advice yes but really the best advice is just to look first.

I ride everyday in Bangkok and when a light changes to green, everybody looks to the direction of where the light has just changed to red. The locals know that sometimes people jump red lights so usually they look. The bus driver in this case is definitely wrong, but if the poor guy had done what he probably normally did, then he would still be alive today.

So be first away from the lights if you want, but just make sure you look first.

• Like 1

Running red lights is a worldwide problem (as are cars turning right or left- depending on what side of the road is used- in front of bikes)- this is just another reminder that we have to ride as defensively as possible, especially in high-traffic area.

A bus, though...

Running red lights is a worldwide problem (as are cars turning right or left- depending on what side of the road is used- in front of bikes)- this is just another reminder that we have to ride as defensively as possible, especially in high-traffic area.

A bus, though...

Seems buses, Lor si dengs, Silver vans etc. are the ones to watch the most actually

They are public transports but they drive like yabba jacked nuts

Actually today read a report that from World Health Organization Thailand is number 6th place in the world for the amount of road deaths per capital. For a year more than 26,000 people died on the roads.

They states reasons:

1. Lack of proper training

2. easy driving exams

3. Lack of prosecution

4. Lack of rules enforcement

Sad

Edited by sup3r1or

I would say:

3. Lack of prosecution

4. Lack of rules enforcement

Plus the lack of patience, foresight, and consideration combined with the buckets of arrogance, ignorance. Mix in their extremely delicate ego, and there you go.

They say that to study the driving culture of a society shows you the true being of the populace. It isn't pretty in Thailand.

• Like 1

Honestly police with all the bribed for BS like not wearing helmet or any reason for make people pay at the side of the road, is total nonsense. They should fine and revoke licences for every person who brake rules (depending on severity). They would rake in much more from those than 100-200 fines they give for no reason to most of bike owners. Passed on red light? take license away and fine heavily. Turned without indicating, fine. Overtaking in a place one shouldnt, fine. Change lane without indicating fine, rush through lanes of traffic towards red line, fine. cut in front of someone fine. They would make millions and make a country roads much safer place to drive.

Sorry forgot to say drunk driving, fine , revoke licence and jail.