Process for connecting flights without being 'checked through'

Hi all

Later this year I'm going to the UK from Chiang Mai. Already got Etihad ticket from BKK-LHR-BKK but still need to get tickets from CNX-BKK-CNX.

Since it seems unlikely that my bags will be automatically put on the Etihad flight at Suvarnabhumi, I'm wondering what is the process when I land at BKK from Chiang Mai. Do I go through customs and baggage reclaim and then have to check in to Etihad at the main checkin desks, or is there another way, perhaps using a transfer desk?

Most importantly, how long before my Etihad departure should ensure that I land at Suvarnabhumi from Chiang Mai so that I don't have to panic in a hurry or wait half a day?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

15Peter

whistling.gif Yes there is a transfer desk at Suvarnabhumi before you go through immigration and baggage pickup.

I'm not sure about your particular airline and routing but I know there is a transfer desk.

Watch for the transfer desk signs as you get off the plane and follow them to the transfer desk.

In check-in at CNX try to get them to tag your checked baggage all the way to your final destination.

If they will do that your bags should be automatically transferred in Suvarnabhumi without you doing anything.

To be sure they are (if CNX does agree to tag them through to final destination use that transfer desk.

They will make sure the message gets through to the baggage gnomes via computer using your baggage tag number.

On one flight for from Greece to Suvarnabhumi with a stopover in Dubai my flight was delayed for several hours by weather.

When I arrived in Suvarnabhumi more than 5 hours late, my check-in bags were already there .... they arrived by another flight before I even got there.

rolleyes.gif

Note: this may not work if your going thru Don Mueang however.

In that case they probably won't check your bags in to final destination at CNX.

You'll probably have to do it yourself, the old fashioned way.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

A lot really depends on the exact details of your CNX-BKK-CNX ticket.

CNX-BKK is obviously a domestic flight, and I'm not sure you gain much by trying to interline bags on CNX-BKK-XXX, so maybe easiest, best, simplest to just go up to level 4 after arriving on your domestic flight, and claiming any checked bags and check in with EY. Then clear departing Immigration, and proceed to your gate. There is no Customs check-point departing Thailand.

Returning XXX-BKK-CNX there may be some advantages to interlining bags through to CNX. http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/passenger_guide_transfer_inter2domestic_noBD_en.php

I might aim for an MCT at BKK of 180 minutes as a minimum just to be on the safe side.

Edited by lomatopo

Thanks a lot for the replies.

I just checked and it appears I was in Idiot Mode when I booked the Etihad flight from BKK to LHR because it leaves at about 8:30 in the morning, so no chance of getting a domestic flight from CNX-BKK at about 3-4a.m. which I guess is what would have been needed to do a realistic transfer.

Oh well, I will just have to go CNX-BKK the day before, take my bags from Suvarnabhumi and get a hotel.

Thanks again to all posters for the advice and hopefully it will be useful to others.

By the way, if anyone can recommend a half-decent hotel around Suvarnabhumi for around 1,000Bt per night with reliable wake-up calls and possibly even transport to the airport, I'd be most appreciative to know.

Cheers

Edited by 15Peter20

I use Silver Gold Garden, about five or ten minutes from the airport, with free shuttle van both to/from the hotel.

I book via sawadee.com and the rate is usually B650/night, but sometimes it can be B750 or B850 if it's a busy time and/or they are almost full.

The hotel is clean, wake-up call is reliable, and there are Tesco Express and 7-11 stores out front for beverages and snacks. I've stayed there at least 10 times, and have always felt safe and welcome.

I use Silver Gold Garden, about five or ten minutes from the airport, with free shuttle van both to/from the hotel.

I book via sawadee.com and the rate is usually B650/night, but sometimes it can be B750 or B850 if it's a busy time and/or they are almost full.

The hotel is clean, wake-up call is reliable, and there are Tesco Express and 7-11 stores out front for beverages and snacks. I've stayed there at least 10 times, and have always felt safe and welcome.

Thanks so much. That looks like a great tip. Will definitely take a look at it when I get down to BKK. Cheers.