Sony Xperia Z smart phone navigation

canopy

I am no expert on smart phones, but I became interested in the xperia 7 because it is water proof as I sometimes get a little wet and this causes my nokia c6 to stop functioning for long periods so I would like to get rid of it. I basically would use the xperia for a phone and gps navigation and only rarely use the web and probably nothing else. I backed off buying it at the last second when I went to pop open the GPS. It gave an error message each time that a data connection was required and refused to open. Curiously this message was coming up in English even though the phone was configured for Thai language and the guys at the shop kept dismissing it without reading it and said it needed updates. I asked if I could do GPS navigation without any sort of data connection and they didn't know. One guy said "offline" mode would be very slow even if it could. Does anyone have an idea if this device can do classic GPS navigation with driving instructions without connecting to something and needing fed money? Basically I would like the same functionality I get from any nokia gps phone out of the box. Any help understanding how the xperia is different in this regard would be great.

You would need to find or purchase an off-line mapping solution, presumably with turn-by-turn navigation. Off-line mapping apps. store everything on the phone, thus only requiring a GPS connection which is free.

There are several free and paid off-line mapping applications for Android.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/418919-thai-gps-app-for-android-which-better/page-6

https://www.google.com/search?q=android+offline+maps+navigation&oq=android+off+line+map&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l3j69i62l2.15341j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Any on-line mapping application, such as Google Maps, would require a data connection; a mobile data connection would require an additional monthly "feeding".

Maybe look at another Nokia solution, or a free-standing dedicated GPS system. The latter are available for as little as 3,000 baht.

Thanks for adding some clarity and links. After a bit of reading wow, this sounds like a can of worms. I am uneasy with installing 3rd party apps besides google--you know bloatware, adware, bugs, and other annoyances. It would be preferable to get a stock phone and stay within the experience of the manufacturer out of the box and not have to fiddle with add ons. For me this device would be a phone usage model, not a computer--I don't really know what android means and hope I can keep it that way. By the way I may not even use 50 baht a month on my sim card that I add money to at 7/11 once in a blue moon. So subscribing for a monthly "data plan" or something like that sounds like a huge unnecessary cost to me.

So I guess the next logical question is does nokia have any waterproof phones? And just to say it I wouldn't want just an ugly black shroud afterthought wrapped around a phone for this purpose. That's what drew me to the xperia--I can choose a color and enjoy a good look and feel and form factor and still have it water proof.

Since you don't really need anything other than a GPS, it seems obvious you should buy a GPS?

Or look for a used C6?

Or a Nokia 520 or 620, along with a IP54 case? (This assumes Nokia has similar off-line mapping solutions for the WinPhones.)

For the record, you're fascinated with the Sony Xperia Z, I can't find a "7"? It costs ~ 17,000 baht?

Hey thanks again. Whoops, yes that should read Xperia Z, hope a mod can update the title. It costs 18,990 baht in Phetchabun.

Good idea about a separate GPS, but I prefer having a GPS built into a phone rather than 2 devices so that if I happen to be walking somewhere of interest I can drop a place mark as I may not be lugging a GPS at the time. Also photos can be GPS stamped.

Note the nokia c6 is not waterproof which is why I want to get rid of it and as indicated I don't want an ugly aftermarket shell around whatever I buy. I've read about the Samsung Galaxy 4 Active being waterproof but haven't seen it in stores and I am not sure if it would have practical GPS navigation or not.

Nokia makes/sells OEM IP54 (weatherproof) cases for some of their models.

A Samsung Galaxy S4 Active is an Android phone so you'd still need an off-line mapping application.

GPS units can record place-marks; they are relatively portable. A camera can take pictures, and record place-marks.

Still not sure why you need a smartphone when you say you don't use a phone, or a smartphone, or want to use mobile data?

But maybe you have a few more requirements which you've yet to share?

Adding paid 3rd applications to an Android phone is hardly a "can of worms"? Most of the apps. on the Play Store are 3rd Party.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aearon.canofworms&hl=en

If your heart is set on a 19,000 baht GPS/camera then just get a free/paid off-line mapping app.

Nokia makes/sells OEM IP54 (weatherproof) cases for some of their models.

I will try to say this more clearly for the 3rd time: for reasons too numerous to list, I absolutely do not want any afterthought hunk of ugly black plastic wrapped around a phone to achieve waterproofing.

A Samsung Galaxy S4 Active is an Android phone so you'd still need an off-line mapping application.

Which goes back to the original question which is whether this is possible out of the box or not.

GPS units can record place-marks; they are relatively portable.

I will try to say this more clearly for the 2nd time: I absolutely do not want to haul two devices around everywhere. A small phone is pushing it already.

A camera can take pictures, and record place-marks.

Sounds like we are really going off course now--3 devices in my pocket? It sounds like a bad dream to me.

Still not sure why you need a smartphone when you say you don't use a phone, or a smartphone, or want to use mobile data? But maybe you have a few more requirements which you've yet to share?

Sorry but where was it exactly I said I don't use a phone? I will try to be clear that all I want is a waterproof phone with GPS navigation included and web access for rare usage is a plus. Smart phones seem appropriate because their larger screens are better for navigation and they can browse the web in a pinch.

Adding paid 3rd applications to an Android phone is hardly a "can of worms"? If your heart is set on a 19,000 baht GPS/camera then just get a free/paid off-line mapping app.

I have previously explained my apprehension to 3rd party apps. It may very well be the way I end up going however though I just envision all of the problems I outlined having myself saying I told you so to myself and end up hating the phone. So if any one can confirm the existence of a more suitable device or whether the Xperia Z might still be appropriate are welcome.

to get rid of the bloatware, whether from the manufacturer or any updates, you would have to root the phone OS, which takes about 5-10 minutes after watching youtube video on the procedure. After rooting, you'll need a program like rom toolbox or titanium backup. Then you can remove the non-essential programs and make a complete backup of your phone in the process so that if needed, you can return your phone to normal. This does require a little technical knowledge, but some blogs have guides that make it easy for those without experience; some even make programs that will remove the bloatware but those will require root access.

google "sony experia z bloatware removal" (no quotes) or something similar.

Not sure about the GPS thing beyond lomatopo's advice to install 3rd party app offline GPS program from play store. Maybe Sony has an app store similar to Samsung Apps that may have a GPS app.

I think Garmin had a GPS-enhanced phone at one of the mobile expos 2 years ago. Not sure about now.

Edited by 4evermaat