Work Permit

If I want to resign from my job in Thailand do I have to go to the Labour Dept to cancel my WP or is it done by my employer. And secondly does this mean my visa would be cancelled as well????

Thanks

The work permit issue is something that you will need to discuss with your ex employer as either of you are able to cancel it, but i beleive i am correct in thinking that the work permit effectivly 'belongs' to the company and not you, so based on that they will probably cancel the permit themselves.

Your Visa (if a non imm B ) will expire 7 days after the work permit is cancelled and you will need to leave the country by the time those 7 days are up or face overstay fines/problems.

You need to be present at the immigration for the cancellation as they need to stamp your passport unless you want to give your passport to your company and let them do it for you which I doubt you should do so for security reasons

You need to be present at the immigration for the cancellation as they need to stamp your passport unless you want to give your passport to your company and let them do it for you which I doubt you should do so for security reasons

Thanks Desmond I will attend in person.

If I want to resign from my job in Thailand do I have to go to the Labour Dept to cancel my WP or is it done by my employer. And secondly does this mean my visa would be cancelled as well????

Thanks

The work permit issue is something that you will need to discuss with your ex employer as either of you are able to cancel it, but i beleive i am correct in thinking that the work permit effectivly 'belongs' to the company and not you, so based on that they will probably cancel the permit themselves.

Your Visa (if a non imm B ) will expire 7 days after the work permit is cancelled and you will need to leave the country by the time those 7 days are up or face overstay fines/problems.

Thanks Wolfie, I am on a non imm B so at least I have 7 days to sort my next move out

You need to surrender your work permit to your Employer prior to your resignation. And about your visa stamp on your passport, you can use that till it expires. Based on my experience, I resigned around August and i just continue my visa till December..i have no problem with that.