CBR 250 CCT (cam chain tensioner ) Repair - Step by Step

KRS1

Took it out and rebuilt the CCT today, engine noise is gone :) That spring was m!@#$%er to put back in. There were no damaged parts inside and there were no orings. Just a misaligned spring.

The only thing i could see that could possibly go wrong was the ribbon spring jamming between the space inbetween the CCT housing and the washer that is suppose to keep the spring flat.

The washer isnt flush with the walls of the CCT housing and the spring can migrate into this space of about 1 mm, and turn the ribbon spring into more of a cone shape than flat, if this happens there would not be enough tension on the wormgear to keep forcing the plunger forward.

A few turns on the wormgear may solve the problem, but i went ahead and took it apart instead. I wouldnt suggest anyone try this unless you have a lot of patience to work on that spring. It took more than 10 tries to get it aligned properly.

cct1.jpg

cct2.jpg

cct3.jpg

cct4.jpg

cct5.jpg

cct6.jpg

• Like 2

If you have a problem with your CCT and demand that the dealer fix it instead of replacing it.

Dont tell them that man, its a total bitch to put the spring back in. If I had known what i was getting myself into i probably would have just bought a new one instead. Plus youd have to really know how it works to be able to rebuild it properly.

8mm boxed wrench 120 baht

small flathead electrical tester 49 baht

was cheaper than buying a new one, but it was a tremendous pain in the ass !

• Like 1

If you have a problem with your CCT and demand that the dealer fix it instead of replacing it.

was cheaper than buying a new one, but it was a tremendous pain in the ass !

I would guess they would say, 'no this one broken, cannot fix, need to buy new.'

Can't say I'd blame them really. biggrin.png

Then if you made them do it they'd probably do it in such a way that it breaks again within two days, then put your eventual order for a new one on a 3 month delay. :D

Edited by Salapoo

I wouldnt wish upon my worst enemy to reinstall that spring.

It sucks, one wrong slip and it'll cut you bad - if you have girly skin.

Just got back from blipping the throttle and pulling wheelies to strain the CCT / timing chain and its still ok.

Thanks for this nugget of wisdom. Bookmarked should the need arise.

That spring looks like a devil to wind and my impatience will have my wife cowering out of sight as I'll be using just about every profanity known to man. I'll have a shot at it though rather than paying for a new one.

• Like 1

Thanks for this nugget of wisdom. Bookmarked should the need arise.

That spring looks like a devil to wind and my impatience will have my wife cowering out of sight as I'll be using just about every profanity known to man. I'll have a shot at it though rather than paying for a new one.

Winding was the easy part, getting it down the hole without getting tangled was the m!@#$%r !

....and make sure to use a longer 8mm wrench, a short one may not provide enough leverage to loosen it. There is an 8mm wrench in the CBR tool kit, but it wont work, it'll just chew it up and flex.

....the allen wrench in the toolkit will fit the allenhead to access the wormgear.

Edited by KRS1

I forgot to mention that when you take the ribbon spring out, it has to be cleaned thoroughly and should be lubricated to prevent sticking.

The oil vapors from the engine get on the spring, with the combined heat it gets tacky and will stick, further preventing it from recoiling.