Drivers Beware Police Checkpoints Around Pattaya Area

Pattaya_Fox

As the Songkran Festival approaches, Police checkpoints around Pattaya are beginning to be seen as we joined officers at this checkpoint in front of the Pattaya Redemptorist School on the Sukumvit Road in Central Pattaya. Each checkpoint is armed with breath-testing equipment and we would like to remind you that the legal limit blood-alcohol level here in Thailand is 50 mg per 100 ml of Blood which equates to one glass of wine and one small bottle of beer. On this night a total of 5 individuals were found to be over the legal limit. If you are caught over the legal limit you will spend one night in prison, or you will have to pay 20,000 baht bail. This will be followed by a court appearance. Also the checkpoints are checking for illegally modified bikes and cars. We advise you to excercise caution on the roads over the next few weeks and to watch out for these checkpoints. Ensure that you are carrying your driving license and insurance documents along with ownership papers for your vehicle and most importantly do not drink and drive.

Pattaya City News

Monday 10th April 2006

That's what all those check-points were on Saturday ! I was doing my visa-run and we went through 4 checkpoints on the way to the border in the morning.

Oddly enough, on the return trip in the afternoon, the checkpoints were gone. :o

Maybe they were on siesta, or just relocated, or gave up ?

Yeah, it's bad enough driving around here on a good day, when you are sober. Driving around during Songkran will be worse, and if you've been drinking, you're asking for trouble.

Leave the keys at home and have a great, safe Songkran ! :D

Just around the Mabprachan area we have two checkpoints, one on the lake coming from the 36 highway, the other closer to Pattaya on Siam Country club road intersection with the road leading to Soi Nern Plub Waan...

They are however very friendly towards Farang drivers, it seems we just get waved on with a smile.

Helmet less motorbike drivers don't stand a chance though....

just the boys in brown picking up 'tips' for the festival, same as every festival/holiday, cant expect them to have the readies to pay for them, can you, just think of it as another tax :o

Still if you gotta drink, use a baht bus, cheaper than any fine or tax, and I'm sure the driver would appreciate the tip and business, and he'll be your best mate when you give him a big tip :D

Mind you its not just for a festival/holiday to drink and aim (cant really call it driving) the baht bus may not be the best means of transport, but its a lot cheaper than bail (or a night in the pokey) and a day in court :D

Edited by pepsi666

just the boys in brown picking up 'tips' for the festival, same as every festival/holiday, cant expect them to have the readies to pay for them, can you, just think of it as another tax :o

Still if you gotta drink, use a baht bus, cheaper than any fine or tax, and I'm sure the driver would appreciate the tip and business, and he'll be your best mate when you give him a big tip :D

Mind you its not just for a festival/holiday to drink and aim (cant really call it driving) the baht bus may not be the best means of transport, but its a lot cheaper than bail (or a night in the pokey) and a day in court :D

Hay Pepsi,, just remember if give him the correct fare

He just might jump out and give you a good kicking for that.

New kids on the block. Laugh.

:D

Hay Pepsi,, just remember if give him the correct fare

He just might jump out and give you a good kicking for that.

New kids on the block. Laugh.

:D

I look at it like I'm paying the 5 baht fare, and giving the driver a 5 baht tip as well for his good service. :D

I think I'll be doing a lot of walking in any event, unless the weight of all those super-soakers gets too much :o