Building a house on wife's land

quiuvo

I was very particular to marry a woman who already had her own house , I have spent a bit to renovate , modernise , create a gentleman's residence .

Much may depend on who your wife is as to how successful the marriage and how safe your investment .

For example my wife is university educated , was a school teacher when I met her , now head teacher of her school .

It takes two to make a successful marriage , you have to work at it .

Be very careful with using that as a yard stick. Where I live there are many. I have just seen a 62 year old Brit move into his wife;s house "her own house" unfortunately it was built by his predecessor! An American who said enough is enough and did a runner. There is another lady who brings a new husband from Germany every 2 or three years. In my 15 years here the list is endless.

Having their own house owned outright would set alarm bells ringing!wai2.gif

Edited by maprao

I was informed by my lawyer a husband and wife can not have a contract but a man and his girlfriend can. Doesn't make sense but hey This Is Thailand.

<br>

This means it is much better not to get married, but rather stay together as a boyfriend and a girlfriend with a contract. I have a strong feeling that the Thai laws should really be adapted to the 21. century standards and support the family life with equal rights.

• 5 weeks later...

Remember the Thai mindset, money is number one. If you find your relationship goes downhill you can expect to lose everything. I know a number of guys who had met the special one, bought the land, built the house and then went home for a couple of weeks. On their return the locks have been changed with the boyfriend/family in situ. Money trumps everything and farangs generally have plenty of it, hence our popularity.