Thailand's Education Minister downplays prospects of a coup

webfact

I'm getting the idea that the government ministers of Thailand are all transferable, so intimate knowledge of the area they cover as minister is not required. Anyway, they should know something about coups. Here is a brief history of Thailand's coups -- both successful and not successful.

"Thailand has a past of turbulence and turmoil. It has witnessed at least 10 successful coups and 7 abortive attempts even before military forces seized power on September 19, 2006 dismissing Prime Minister Thaksin Sinawatra’s government. Thailand has experienced this coup after a span of 15 years."

Here is a chronology of some of the military coups and major attempted coups since the Southeast Asian nation became a constitutional monarchy in 1932:

1932: King Prajadhipok is overthrown in a coup d'etat. Armed forces led by three radicals, Pridi Phanomyang, Major Phibun Sangkhram and Colonel Phahon Phonphaywhasena, takes control. Phrayo Manopakorn is appointed Prime Minister.

1933: Manopakorn dissolves the National Assembly and rules by decree, until he is removed in another coup. Phahon, one of the three involved in the 1932 coup, becomes Prime Minister.

1947: Military coup by General Phin Choonhavan deposes the government. Luang Aphai-Wongse is appointed Prime Minister, but is replaced by Phibun the following year.

1951: Phibun leads another military coup and restores the 1932 version of the Constitution.

1957: Following a coup led by General Sarit Thanarat, politician Pote Sarasin is appointed leader of an interim government.

1976: An attempted military coup is defeated in February, but a successful coup in October overthrows Prime Minister Seni Pramoj. Admiral Sa-ngad Chaloryoo, previously Minister of Defence, is installed as Chairman of a National Administrative Reform Council.

Oct 20, 1977: The government of Thanom Kravichien, appointed in 1976, is overthrown by a military coup, again led by Sa-ngad. Following which a military Revolutionary Council takes power.

April 1, 1981: An attempted coup, led by General Sant Chipatima, Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Army, is suppressed by forces loyal to the government.

Sept 9, 1985: A coup is attempted by Colonel Manoon Roopkachorn; a number of senior officers are later arrested.

Feb 23, 1991: The government of General Chatichai is ousted in a bloodless military coup. Power is assumed by a National Peacekeeping Council, led by General Sunthorn Kongsompong.

Sept 19, 2006: The armed forces take power and dismiss Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's caretaker government while Thaksin and several other ministers are overseas. The military revoke the Constitution and promise a swift return to democracy after political reforms.

Very informative timeline. Thanks for this... you can see how often Thailand has coups.... it's just all it's cooped up to be~!

It will happen but it has little to do with deposing the government, although that will be an added benefit to the coup makers and is also integral to their grander plan. The real reason for the coup cannot be discussed here, or anywhere if you want to remain welcome in Thailand.

I should add that having a government as corrupt and inept as this one is an absolute boon for the coup makers, as they can lie and obfuscate about the real reasons for the coup by saying it is politically motivated and the majority of people will believe them.

Edited by FarangTalk

Given the state of the Thai education system, I wouldn't guarantee that anyone has learnt anything from the past.

Possibly.In my experience any announcement that the "lessons of history are" results in conclusions that are completely subjective or at least open to debate.But I don't really question your comment.

I would add a further suggestion relating to Thai politics in general, namely (borrowing from Talleyrand on the restored Bourbons in France) that the political classes here have not only learned nothing but have also forgotten nothing - a fatal combination.

Ultimately as in Northern Ireland and South Africa (where in fact the problems were far more intractable than in Thailand) the key players on all sides will have to accept a compromise containing elements that are now seen as really objectionable, maybe as currently perceived not even up for negotiation.

• Like 1

Given the state of the Thai education system, I wouldn't guarantee that anyone has learnt anything from the past.

Possibly.In my experience any announcement that the "lessons of history are" results in conclusions that are completely subjective or at least open to debate.But I don't really question your comment.

I would add a further suggestion relating to Thai politics in general, namely (borrowing from Talleyrand on the restored Bourbons in France) that the political classes here have not only learned nothing but have also forgotten nothing - a fatal combination.

Ultimately as in Northern Ireland and South Africa (where in fact the problems were far more intractable than in Thailand) the key players on all sides will have to accept a compromise containing elements that are now seen as really objectionable, maybe as currently perceived not even up for negotiation.

I agree with your comments re learning and forgetting - the crux of the matter I believe.

However, I would question your comparison with Northern Ireland and South Africa. I don't believe the 'opponents' have even mentioned Thailand, it's more a defence of policies.

IMHO