Thais are some of the least rude people in the world - Int'l travel site

webfact

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All in the eye of the beholder. I blow my nose with a tissue, my wife tells me to go and do it in private. She picks her nose to the knuckle in public no problem.

I've lived and worked in a few countries - Europe, Middle East and Asia. For me the Indians just manage to edge out the East Europeans for rudeness, but pretty close, although rude in different ways.

Newark NJ airport seems to specialize in recruiting rude people and most service sectors I've experienced in the US really don't understand the concept of service - despite all the Tom Peters videos! They just can't speak politely to customers.

Chinese are like animals at any kind of buffet, and in my experience so are the Israelis.

My wife, ranked the politeness of the Europeans she's encountered as (i.e. least rude first) : Dutch, Scots, Germans, English, Italians, East Europeans, British Asians.

She hasn't met many Dutch people then. They can be very abrupt and blunt. They remind me of Yorkshiremen, among whom I grew up.

She met plenty of Dutch - Maastricht, Roermond, and that area, over several months. Often she would be out alone with our young, at the time, son whilst I was at work. Maybe she would have a different opinion in a different area of the Netherlands, but in this area, always found people friendly, helpful and polite. She also asked me why the Federal German Border Police were always so much more polite than the British Immigration staff. Different perceptions and world views.

Swedes are by far the most polite in Scandinavia. Danes are by far the most rude. Norwegians are more like the Americans of Scandinavia - loud yes, but not rude.

This coming from a mixed Scandinavian.

Thais are very polite for sure. Anyone saying otherwise can only have met tourist area Thais who indeed are rude.

To paraphrase Thomas Jefferson:

"Good manners is the best substitute for good character"

Thai people can be very nice, but at times they have said very rude things about me not realising that I understand or that I am with my friends who can make me understand, like anywhere they have good people and bad people. Thais seem not rude as they just smile and bottle up the anger until it explodes and they kill someone ( as seems to happen almost daily these days ). I would rather frank and a little rude sometimes than explosive murderous rampages....

• Like 1

I as doing a 90 day report last week and when my number was called an American jumped in front of me and said, Do you mind if I go 1st I am in a hurry, thanks buddy. Didn't even give me the option to answer with a Yes I do mind because I have things to do also. To me that was pinnacle of rudeness. Then my wife and I go to the airport plaza for lunch and who is sitting in the dining area, the rude obnoxious yank. I guess he was hungrier than us.

Every country has it's share of rude people and when they are in a place like Thailand they stand out more and represent their country. I find the Thai's to be very polite and I am yet to find a rude one.

Well, that guy sounds like a d%%che. I would say, though, as an American, that it is a thing to ask people if you could possibly pass them in line because you are in a hurry....but you do it early and not to the guy who is already up in line. People who aren't in a hurry will generally say "yeah, go for it" but you can definitely tell them "I'm in a hurry, too." Granted the place seems to breed ruder and ruder people by the year, but many places still have people who work together.

Either way, that guy broke those rules of his own culture, so I would like to think he wasn't representative.

• Like 1

I find it interesting that this article is about the perceptions of people about other people (regardless of country, culture, religion, race, sexual preference, etc.). People tend to generalize about everything and this is what this article is doing. First you take a poll... without data that supports the concept of the poll. Who was polled? How was it polled? Is the data valid at all?

Cultures are different... that is the point of a culture. People are different within the culture... that is a given. Each of us has a baseline for what we consider good behavior and bad behavior, but my perspective of that is not always going to coincide with your perspective. The article points to the idea of cultural differences that result in the perception of "bad behavior" coming from the person who is interacting with another culture. However, did the person who is saying this culture has bad behavior examining their own behavior when traveling while they vote? I doubt it.

More than once I have done something in Thailand that I felt like was great (as an American) that my girlfriend (Thailand) has told me is disrespectful. I did not know or forgot that it was disrespectful. Once I sat in Immigration waiting for an agent there to do her work on my passport. I crossed my legs. She told me to not cross my legs. I was embarrassed as she was so direct... but I realized I had offended her. I can take that two ways... either be upset that she was direct or realize I caused the problem in the first place.

People have commented on the driving here and the impolite way people move to get where they are going. My brother who has traveled extensively in Asia loves it. He says that its great you can drive around someone on the side of the road and not get a ticket as you would in America. He likes the idea of a less stringent code. It is all in how you respond to the situation.

For those of you that live in Thailand and lived here for years... do you live like a Thai or a Farang? If you are living like a Farang in the sense that you do things your cultural way, well you will never feel totally accepted.

Our base instincts for handling issues are all based on pre-learned and indoctrinated practices. There is no way around it. If you want to fully exist in Thailand you must learn and try and to understand the culture. If you want to visit Thailand and live as you do in your home country, good luck with that.

I have found every type of personality of Thais to exist that exist in all other countries I have visited or lived in... Germany, Czech Republic, Holland, Spain, England, Singapore, etc. etc. etc. However, they differ in the baseline of what they have learned within their own cultures, families, groups, associations, age groups... etc.

If you see or experience a situation when you consider someone is rude, maybe take a step back and think through what just transpired. You might find that how you are acting in a country that is not your country is what precipitated the incident in the first place.

How we interpret situations are all coming from a baseline we learned as children. We are all different and learning the cultural and other thousands of differences that exist in human beings is the key to cohabitation. In other words, it is not easy to navigate the process of understanding and getting along within a culture that is not your own.

Sitting back and making comments that are offensive to Thais or any culture demonstrates that you have not taken any time to consider how you actually fit into the culture that you are living/visiting. When you leave home... it ain't Kansas anymore.

Rudeness or simply bad behavior?

For example years ago I remember watching in amusement from my hotel balcony as a group of obviously well drilled German holidaymakers appeared at dawn to place beach towels on virtually every poolside lounger, a well known national trait at the time.....only for a group of British tourists to appear a few minutes later from their night out on the razz and having spotted them and proceed to sling the whole lot into the water.

So who was rude and who was badly behaved?

Perhaps it was the Brits once again giving the Germans a lesson in what happens when you arrogantly attempt to impose your own rules on the rest of the world.

• Like 1

Rudeness or simply bad behavior?

For example years ago I remember watching in amusement from my hotel balcony as a group of obviously well drilled German holidaymakers appeared at dawn to place beach towels on virtually every poolside lounger, a well known national trait at the time.....only for a group of British tourists to appear a few minutes later from their night out on the razz and having spotted them and proceed to sling the whole lot into the water.

So who was rude and who was badly behaved?

Perhaps it was the Brits once again giving the Germans a lesson in what happens when you arrogantly attempt to impose your own rules on the rest of the world.

That is a great point... imposing will upon others. Try walking into an English Pub and complain at the bar when there are too many people crowding you as you try to drink. Try walking into an American bar that is rock music based and putting on a string of country music songs on the juke box (songs that are there but people never actually choose that go there), try walking into an all Thai bar and putting your arm around a server in a good natured joking way (according to your customs). Each scenario is nothing big... just you being you in a foreign territory. Each could lead to a problem. Try going to a bar in New York and putting your arm around a server at a club that you've never met before... be ready for a problem.

You're not in the same culture that you left at home. In America, when I grew up the parade was coming through the center of town. If you wanted to have a front row seat you would stake out the claim in advance. That meant chairs, blankets, even using string to enclose "your" area. I am sure that would be considered rude to someone from another country who spent a lot of money to come see the event, but now have to struggle to even see the parade. It is about our customs and doing the best we can to understand another person's cultural differences. The minute someone "imposes their will" on someone within another country they must be prepared for ANY type of response. To think otherwise is short-sighted.

There you have it: they are angels! ...well...as long as you don't under-sa-tand the language, of course!

No angels but you couldn't be more wrong about the language. If the typical poster here had real Thai language skills and the close Thai friends that those skills allow, there would be a great deal less of the silly and ignorant prejudices that tend to get expressed here.

Edited by Roota
  • Like 1

You can't be truly rude until you really understand good manners. whistling.gif

Since the evaluation comes from an international travel site what you are acutally saying is that the people involved in the evaluation do not understand good manners. In any case an observation based on juggling semantics and a weak attempt at cliché says nothing convincing. At least nothing that the writer would like to hear. whistling.gif

I'd just like to point out that being rude and being inconsiderate are not quite the same thing.

On two separate occasions when getting foot massages the masseuse burped multiple times and also farted. Would that be considered rude or inconsiderate? :)

the politest that I have ever encountered Cubans by far.. the rudest Brits! the good folks from India follow the Brits but they have an excuse. the Thai's well after 4 years I'd say they have a ways to go! the Canadians and the Aussie's are up at the top! The Americans and the French are to much of a mix to call. but really I think you must separate true rudeness by language and culture. guess it is a big matter of opinion!

I'd just like to point out that being rude and being inconsiderate are not quite the same thing.

On two separate occasions when getting foot massages the masseuse burped multiple times and also farted. Would that be considered rude or inconsiderate? smile.png

I would guess that is making a living at your expense! :)

An example of rudeness that transcends all nationalist barriers and applies equally to tourists as well as natives has to do with mobile (or cell ) phones : Examples are , and feel free to add to the list

• shouting on phones
  • talking on a phones especially in cinemas
  • answering phones mid conversation without excusing yourself (" a sorry do you mind if i take this")
  • ringing somebody and then not talking
  • hanging up mid conversation or without a goodbye
  • answering with a yes or a growl rather than a salutation or an introduction
  • carrying on a three way conversation
  • mindlessly walking along a crowded thoroughfare playing games on your mobile
  • not turning down the television whilst talking on the phone

Blaa blaaa blaaa. there are so many more to add to the list.

Edited by xen
  • Like 1

I as doing a 90 day report last week and when my number was called an American jumped in front of me and said, Do you mind if I go 1st I am in a hurry, thanks buddy. Didn't even give me the option to answer with a Yes I do mind because I have things to do also. To me that was pinnacle of rudeness. Then my wife and I go to the airport plaza for lunch and who is sitting in the dining area, the rude obnoxious yank. I guess he was hungrier than us.

Every country has it's share of rude people and when they are in a place like Thailand they stand out more and represent their country. I find the Thai's to be very polite and I am yet to find a rude one.

By any chance do you drive (car, truck, motocy?). Spend any time waiting in line? (Both rhetorical questions.) If so. sooner or later, you will find at least one.

My apologies for my fellow (and I use that word very loosely) American's rudeness. We're not all that way. He's lucky I wasn't standing with you, I would have told him in a distinct American southern accent to wait for his turn like everybody else. And I definitely would have confronted him if he still jumped the line and I saw him later eating lunch. As we say back home, "I would have given a piece of my mind." The guy's probably a New Yorker!

No need to apologise as he was just one person. He may have been representing America but not a true reflection of the majority of U.S citizens.

On two separate occasions when getting foot massages the masseuse burped multiple times and also farted. Would that be considered rude or inconsiderate? smile.png

I would think release the gas and as long don't infected the area or my nose

Interesting use of words.

"Least Rude" does not mean polite.

IMHO Thais seem indifferent to other people. When following a Thai who is not known to you through the doors of a mall for example, I can't recall one ever holding the door they have just opened for a fraction of a second longer than they have to to pass through themselves.

I suggest the rudest people tend to be drunks from any nation, Thailand included.

Not letting people out of elevators first is a universal Asian trait. Very odd.

Mainland Chinese take the biscuit, although, some mid level pooyais say things sometimes that just astonish.

I deal with tourists from all parts of the globe on a daily basis in my business. I find Thais to be really quite polite as customers, as are the Chinese (although they sometimes don't have much of a concept of queueing or waiting). Indians also are polite but they will certainly try to get what they want and some of the one's with money can be a tad condescending.

I find South Africans are among the most abrupt, but still not what I'd term 'rude'.

Brits and Kiwis are normally not rude at all - unless they're pissed.

Aussies are also quite demanding, bordering on rude on our home soil but, although rowdy, reasonably polite and friendly overseas.

I deal with tourists from all parts of the globe on a daily basis in my business. I find Thais to be really quite polite as customers, as are the Chinese (although they sometimes don't have much of a concept of queueing or waiting). Indians also are polite but they will certainly try to get what they want and some of the one's with money can be a tad condescending.

I find South Africans are among the most abrupt, but still not what I'd term 'rude'.

Brits and Kiwis are normally not rude at all - unless they're pissed.

Aussies are also quite demanding, bordering on rude on our home soil but, although rowdy, reasonably polite and friendly overseas.

Agree about the Aussies.Thai kids don't give the seats to you on the bus(older People) school kids get all the seats one the bus or trains

• Like 1