Why do tourists constantly try to sit on other peoples bikes....

Scottythai

I cant say I have had any trouble that way.I do not try to hide the bike .In fact I always try to put in in a conspicuous place,or somewhere I can keep an eye on it and when I come back---- there it is waiting for me----------- Perhaps it's because my Yamaha Fino is a black one----!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What group are you referring too? Around here it's generally Thai's that seem to think it's Ok to lounge on someone else's ride.

Well cat be out of the bag it's never Thai's. Not once have a seen a Thai sit on my bike. I always find it to be Indians (not the American ones)

Never had an Indian on my bike - what kind of bike is it?

One time a Thai tourist lady came over and wanted to take a pic posing on my Versys ... while next to me was parked a Triumph Street Triple and a gorgeous Yamaha R1.... she clearly didn't know very much about bikes 555

Bikes don't have cash

I have a 1996 Harley Fatboy and I have never seen a Tourist get on my bike but I did come back and see a Thai Motorcycle Taxi guy sitting on my bike while his buddy took a photo. He went to jump off quick when he saw me but I told him I wanted to take a shot too so he got back on it and I took 2 photos of him on it. I was more amused than mad. I also had a Thai guy at a resturant ask if he could get a photo standing next to the bike so I told him get on it as it looks better so he did. He was a cook or something at the resturant. Long as they don't break anything or knock it over. No worries.

Yeah. especially if he's the cook, we don't want to end up in ICU 5555555555555

• Like 1

Harleys are all the rage for Indians because Harley recently established a factory there, the only one outside of the US. No chance on earth they can do that(sit on the bike of a stranger) at home(India) or the USA(fight would ensue). While they are affordable to most in the USA they are unaffordable to most in India so your bike is very tempting for them. Try using a nail spiked cover on your bike seat while you enjoy your meal.

• Like 1

As long as we are complaining.... just try having a guitar at the beach. My guitars cost as much as a motorbike, but for some reason people come up and think I will just hand it over to them to thump on. And get angry if I tell them no. One time English jerk wanted to play, I said "no" and he said "I have three Les Pauls at home" to which I answered "Should have brought one....."

• Like 2

I wonder how I would respond if someone sat on my bike.. probably not to bad but still there is the risk of damage.

People love their pics taken with bikes or expensive cars, its normal good thing cars are locked else they would sit in it (or steal) and take pictures.

A solution would be a xenna disk lock they make a lot of sound when a bike is moved. That would definitely help.

As long as we are complaining.... just try having a guitar at the beach. My guitars cost as much as a motorbike, but for some reason people come up and think I will just hand it over to them to thump on. And get angry if I tell them no. One time English jerk wanted to play, I said "no" and he said "I have three Les Pauls at home" to which I answered "Should have brought one....."

I don't know much about guitars but must have been a special les paul as i see them for 1000-2000$ big bikes are a bit more expensive especially here. Not to mention a Harley.

What group are you referring too? Around here it's generally Thai's that seem to think it's Ok to lounge on someone else's ride.

if a Thai is seated on your bike...you have only 2 choices. If is a Thai girl.... take her to your home, if is a Thai man.... take him to his home...or be very...very ..polite...surely he is looking for trouble...

All I can say is that if I found someone sitting on my chopper all hell would break loose !

Almost has a few times. You instinctively shout when you walk over and everyone scatters. If I am there people sometimes ask. That's fine, but when I am not there and someone sits on it damages it I am betting there would be no attempt to pay for the damage. I also don't know much about Guitars but I can bet they don't cost as much as buying a Harley from a shop in Thailand.....

• Like 1

I am at a loss for words.

Apparently not.

I suppose this little rant has been cathartic. It gave you an opportunity to get in a dig about Indians (nice show of restraint before naming them ) and, of course, someone managed to do a little Thai bashing, which is always a good way to massage a flabby ego.

Oh woe is me.

I guess if you feel the need to moan about the mobs of people from the ranks of the "lesser races" queuing up to sit on your impressive bikes, life can't be too bad.

Maybe we can start a contest to find the most ridiculous thing to moan about.

I find thais think its perfectly ok to sit on big bikes and play with them like children.. Less so my 400 but my 900 I have come back to it to find a Thai guy twisting the throttle, flooding the carb, while making imaginary brum brum noises in his head playing Walter Mitty race driver a whole bunch of times. Like What the fuc_k do you think your doing ??

You DONT TOUCH another mans bike.. You dont get on it, you dont fiddle with it.. You just dont mess with things that are not yours.

Its not a pathetic nothing rant either.. I have come back, got on the bike set of up the road and when I grabbed a handful of front brake there was very little brake, the <deleted> had 'adjusted' my adjustable levers so the brakes almost didnt work.. Just the think on a 900 sportbike !! I have another time had someone turn my fuel tap from 'on' to reserve, as theres no fuel gague that means when you run out and switch to reserve, there isnt one..

I agree don't touch and also it's bad luck if an Indian touches you or your bike, Suradit69 might not be from a mechanical background to understand this, its also dangerous for the rider if adjustments have been made. And yes I am racist for the record.

• Like 1

Had it a few times with my duc 848, always thais here, never forget one time I walked up to my bike, there was a guy laying across the top of it, feet up on the tank/shield, back against the back seat with his hands behind his head! i couldnt help but laugh, it was a 'really, your serious?' moment

I don't know much about guitars but must have been a special les paul as i see them for 1000-2000$ big bikes are a bit more expensive especially here. Not to mention a Harley.

That would be likely to be a very special Les Paul known as a 'fake'. A new one on Amazon is betweek 4-7000$. Older ones often fetch more - I see at least 6 on ebay right now at over $25000. Even then, much better value than a Hardly Tractor.

And to solve the problem of the tourists sitting - get a padlock with a built in tumbler alarm. The coolness factor reduces very quickly with a 130db siren wailing away!!

I've seen this so often, I don't think twice about it. It's the local custom. Then again, I've never experienced any sabotage--which isn't normal. I've even sat on a bike myself when I needed a place to sit while waiting to meet someone but I did say "excuse me" when the owner showed up.

Lighten up, loosen up. No big deal. "All your bikes are belong to us."

Edited by JSixpack

if a Thai is seated on your bike...you have only 2 choices. If is a Thai girl.... take her to your home, if is a Thai man.... take him to his home...or be very...very ..polite...surely he is looking for trouble...

I wouldn't go that far, I've had Thai guys sit on my bike before, and all they were looking for was a convenient place to sit down.

Well cat be out of the bag it's never Thai's. Not once have a seen a Thai sit on my bike. I always find it to be Indians (not the American ones)

Never came back to find a tourist on my bike but I have found a Thai guy usually having a smoke about a 100 times.

Harleys are all the rage for Indians because Harley recently established a factory there, the only one outside of the US. No chance on earth they can do that(sit on the bike of a stranger) at home(India) or the USA(fight would ensue). While they are affordable to most in the USA they are unaffordable to most in India so your bike is very tempting for them. Try using a nail spiked cover on your bike seat while you enjoy your meal.

Unlikely to be effective...

post-62323-0-96354100-1375871562_thumb.j

• Like 1

I am at a loss for words.

Apparently not.

I suppose this little rant has been cathartic. It gave you an opportunity to get in a dig about Indians (nice show of restraint before naming them ) and, of course, someone managed to do a little Thai bashing, which is always a good way to massage a flabby ego.

Oh woe is me.

I guess if you feel the need to moan about the mobs of people from the ranks of the "lesser races" queuing up to sit on your impressive bikes, life can't be too bad.

Maybe we can start a contest to find the most ridiculous thing to moan about.

I am not sure how to approach your post..

So I will deal with fact and see how it goes.

It is absolutely a standard daily occurrence for Thai people to sit on other people's bikes..

..Outside the local shops, at any social gathering, house, temple, football match, school, funerals, weddings, boy to temple, waiting outside 7/11s, government offices, unis..<deleted> just about everywhere at anytime.... not Thai bashing...it is what they do...get used to it!!

As for non Thais...well it pisses me off anywhere in the world where tourists are more interested in taking pics of somebody else having fun rather than having themselves.....