How good have you got it? what % are you at?

MrRed

how afflicted are you?  

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bobby Robson football day 10th August clap2.gif

FA research reveals a nation in thrall to football

More than half of football fans think about football at least once every minute, according to a new research paper to be published today.

Commissioned by The Football Association to mark Sir Bobby Robson National Football Day, which takes place this weekend on Saturday 10 August, the research shows that 63% of football fans said that football was their main topic of conversation.

Nine out of 10 (94%) admitted they plan their year around the football season with 89% booking holidays around football so they don’t miss a game. A further 91% said they have cancelled plans such as attending a wedding or a birthday party because of football.

More than half (52%) of football fans admitted that they think about football more than food, and a further 50% said they thought about football more than work. Nearly one in five of those polled (19%) admit to checking on football news and updates every minute.

59% get direct alerts sent to their phone or email and 65% will immediately talk to their friends about breaking football news. Two thirds (66%) revealed that football is the first thing they talk about with their colleagues on a Monday morning, and 66% said that football gossip is the ultimate ‘small talk’.

Over half (57%) of football fans experience withdrawal symptoms in the summer months after the season ends, and 53% admit the start of the football season is the event they most look forward to in the year.

52% said that summer transfers are the only source of pleasure during the close season, with 41% of footie fans playing more in the summer months to make up for not watching. 50% revealed that the start of the football season is the point in the year when they feel the happiest, and 53% the most optimistic.

Nearly a third (60%) revealed that football offers them a strong social network, with 58% admitting the friends made through football were their closest, and 61% their most enduring. 68% said that football is a common ground for people who are otherwise very different, and 65% that football instils a sense of community in people.

The research was released ahead of The FA’s Sir Bobby Robson National Football Day on 10 August. As part of The FA’s 150th anniversary celebrations The FA are encouraging the nation to get out and play football this Saturday 10th August – with 150 organised events around the country. Events will be taking place from a grassroots club in Moorside, Manchester, a brand new sports facility in Lewisham, London, and the home of Sir Bobby Robson, in Ushaw Moor at The Bobby Robson Centre. For a full list of events and to see how you can take part visit www.thefa.com/nationalfootballday

A spokesperson from The Football Association said: “Our research shows just how much football infiltrates our daily lives and how, at this time of the year, the nation really does get football fever. The Sir Bobby Robson National Football Day is the perfect opportunity for everyone, whatever age or skill, to get involved in the game – whether at one of our 150 organised events or simply kicking a ball around in their local park”.

Edited by MrRed

I love football but I plan my year around food and sex. I don't think there is a category for that

I don't believe you Santi. I have never seen you post on the food forum and no pics of the gals....well now's yer chance.....whistling.gifwhistling.gifw00t.gif

42% gap between food + sex vs football. possibly tells us more about mr ed than anything else really.

personally i always try to combine the three.

They were taken from the article and in no way are my personal percentage preferences...if it was a choice between sex and football then football would win every time smile.png with me!

I hope that clarifies my position with you Stevie wink.png