Briton 'committed suicide' in Chiang Mai hotel room

webfact

Briton 'Committed Suicide' In Chiang Mai Hotel Room
By Khaosod Online

CHIANG MAI: -- 60-year-old British woman was found dead in her hotel room in Chiang Mai Province. Police ruled it was a suicide case.

The body of Ms. Judith Robinson, 60, was found in the bathtub inside her hotel room after cleaning staff noticed suspicious smell from he room.

At the scene, police found a suicide letter detailing Ms. Robinson’s apology to the hotel along with her wishes to donate her body to medical school, and to donate 24,800 Baht to charity organisations. The money was found in cash inside the room.

Primary investigation revealed no trace of intruders, according to the police, who were convinced that Ms. Robinson had committed suicide.

A hotel staff told police that Ms. Robinson stayed at the hotel with her lover, who later left for his/her native home in Britain (the gender of Ms. Robinson′s partner is not immediately clear). Ms. Robinson was last seen on 3 August, when she came to returned used water bottles for new ones.

A housemaid said she had gone into Ms. Robinson’s room for daily cleaning on 4 August and noticed a piece note sticking at the bathroom door, but did not think anything of it and left shortly afterwards.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM05UYzRPVE0wTXc9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-08-07

So sad,she is gone,but leaves relatives and friends to carry on with pain and mourning, suicide is a very selfish thing, i hope it was worth it..RIP.

Also the poor hotel staff who found her.
  • Like 1

Another English speaking news source in Chiang Mai is covering the story, and unbelievably they have a readable photograph of the suicide letter on full display. 

I didn't read it, but there's a comment from a lady asking that the letter being taken off public view.   Some of the journalists here need to censor themselves a bit more.

ps. Just looked, the letter has now been removed from display, and there are several comments about how tasteless it was. 

And bizarrely they sensor cigarettes on tv.

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

They've got a photo of her body being carried down the corridor in a black bag. That's nice of them eh? Look at this quote from the comments......

I saw this story & wondered if Ian knew. As he lives locally to me & I recognized the phone number I called him to let him know. Unfortunately he didn't know his wife had passed & I was the informant. Even on Thai time I thought the authorities would have been in contact with him after 24hrs!!

I'm not keen on giving this article publicity however if the mods can forgive me I'll link, see for yourself,...

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=2163

So sad,she is gone,but leaves relatives and friends to carry on with pain and mourning, suicide is a very selfish thing, i hope it was worth it..RIP.

Interesting comment.

In this poor woman's case she stated that she had been living with chronic pain for several years and had finally had enough. I believe it is every person's right to decide when things are no longer bearable.

Is it more selfish to force someone to live in constant pain rather than accept the decision to gain a final release?

Every case must surely be judged by itself. There are certainly very tragic cases of suicide, where maybe with the help of relatives and friends a short term emotional problem could have been overcome.

But with chronic pain, progressive debilitating diseases, severe disabilities and similar problems the will of the poor sufferer must surely take precedence over what others (selfishly) want?

Seems to have been worth it in this case!

Another English speaking news source in Chiang Mai is covering the story, and unbelievably they have a readable photograph of the suicide letter on full display.

I didn't read it, but there's a comment from a lady asking that the letter being taken off public view. Some of the journalists here need to censor themselves a bit more.

ps. Just looked, the letter has now been removed from display, and there are several comments about how tasteless it was.

I remember photos from the Kirsty Jones rape/murder case with Journalists in her room holding up condoms that were in her wash bag with discouraging looks on their face. Before the police had arrived to the scene.

Worth it?

How on earth can anyone determine whether this poor woman's suicide was 'worth it'?

It's just a very sad way for a person's life to end.

Worth it?

How on earth can anyone determine whether this poor woman's suicide was 'worth it'?

It's just a very sad way for a person's life to end.

One thinks its worth it,the other doesn't, i sometimes forget how some TV members take sarcastic remarks so seriously, suicide is never worth it!!!!

Interesting comment.

In this poor woman's case she stated that she had been living with chronic pain for several years and had finally had enough. I believe it is every person's right to decide when things are no longer bearable.

Is it more selfish to force someone to live in constant pain rather than accept the decision to gain a final release?

Every case must surely be judged by itself. There are certainly very tragic cases of suicide, where maybe with the help of relatives and friends a short term emotional problem could have been overcome.

But with chronic pain, progressive debilitating diseases, severe disabilities and similar problems the will of the poor sufferer must surely take precedence over what others (selfishly) want?

What a blow to her husband, this will scar him for the rest of his life. That was selfish.

Sorry ,but to be honest your comment stinks to hell..ignorant in the extreme from someone who very obviously has never been in a similar situation as she.bah.gif

''You hope it was worth it" ....bizarre..w00t.gif

Suicide is NOT selfish!

• Like 2

Sorry ,but to be honest your comment stinks to hell..ignorant in the extreme from someone who very obviously has never been in a similar situation as she.bah.gif

''You hope it was worth it" ....bizarre..w00t.gif

Suicide is NOT selfish!

read comment 22 before condoning suicide, and it is selfish, to all concerned!

What a senseless uneducated comment and oh so dam_n typical of people who don't care and are totally devoid of humanity. The "So sad she is gone BUT" self appointed character assassins. Fake commiserations followed by damning criticism. Many argue that taking ones life is the definitive act of selfishness? An irrefutable declaration of cowardice jettisoning the guilt and pain to those charged with clearing the emotional minefield left behind. Few including you who is the real coward can envisage the tangled emotions that impel a person to conclude a life whirring uncontrollably counter clockwise. Suicide is inviolable but avoidable. A person bereft of hope ceases to belong to the future. Chronic anxiety is an undesirable state that sadly commands more courage to live than to die. A psychotically depressed person will only contemplate taking their life when its debits dwarf its assets. While a Samurai warrior falling on his sword on the battlefield is considered honorable this is not the case when somebody is at war with their own mind. You have no right to judge this woman and should respect that she clearly took the only option she considered open to her. Shame on you! I would suggest that she may have had friends like you to turn to.

Take a walk in the rain and cool off, you are making baseless accusations based on my belief that suicide is selfish, of course i feel for this woman and any other person who takes their own life,thus the RIP at the end of my sarcastic, hope it was worth it, you have no idea sir,take it from some one who knows a little more about it than you!! oh and i didn't judge the woman, i judged the act!

Edited by dudu

They've got a photo of her body being carried down the corridor in a black bag. That's nice of them eh? Look at this quote from the comments......

I saw this story & wondered if Ian knew. As he lives locally to me & I recognized the phone number I called him to let him know. Unfortunately he didn't know his wife had passed & I was the informant. Even on Thai time I thought the authorities would have been in contact with him after 24hrs!!

I'm not keen on giving this article publicity however if the mods can forgive me I'll link, see for yourself,...

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=2163

i cant see the point of getting offended, it is the same consideration the newspapers would offer a thai suicide. you surely dont believe that her british citizenship singled her out for additional consideration?

cold as it sounds, i would think killing yourself in a hotel room is a fairly decisive way to relinquish your privacy. sounds to me like she got exactly the attention she wanted. her note was quite clear. her life her decisions. the newspaper has not caused any undue suffering to her family, she did that all by herself

i must ask however, despite your stated objections, why post the link?

Edited by GirlDrinkDrunk

I agree but we have to look at the bigger picture. It is never possible to experience the utter despair of someone who wants to end it all. Also they may think it is better for their family and friends that they are gone, rather than have to deal with someone so depressed. It's like someone with an extremely painful terminal illness - they just want to end it all and to end the pain of their loved ones too. So it may not be selfish after all.

Very sad. I know the family and this lady, and as mentioned before, she a had terminal illness and came to Chiang Mai to pass away. It's quite amazing the authorities did not call the number on the note, and by chance someone saw it online, recognised it and called it.

i will try again, (for the critics) So sad, meaning situation , she may be gone now, but leaves a bit of an emotional mess behind for loved ones and people who cared for her, suicide is a very selfish thing, i hope she has found a better place, RIP....coffee1.gif

The more one finds out about this story, the sadder it becomes.

Unfortunately when someone, perhaps a foreigner in particular, takes their own life in Thailand, the chance of a dignified and sensitive treatment of it by the authorities is not very likely.