Help Me With My Budget Please.

wannabeexpat

Hi,

You guys were very helpful (and funny) with my last post, so I thought I'd ask for your advice again. I'm trying to make a six month budget for my holiday (Sept. 1, 2006 - Feb. 28, 2007). I'd like the numbers to be as accurate as possible. Any suggestions? Thanks!

MONTHLY EXPENSES.............. US$..........................BAHT

Apt (including utilities)................425...........................16200

Food......................................... .200...........................7600

Nightlife......................................700..........................2670

Miscellaneous.............................150.......................... 5700

Cable TV.....................................25............................1000

Internet Service..........................20............................800

visa run.......................................25............................1000

Total...........................................1545.........................590

6 MONTHS

Total...........................................9270.........................354

ONE TIME EXPENSES

Hotel in Pattaya for 6 nights

while I search for apartment

Total...........................................175...........................67

One trip to phuket (7 nights)

Hotel (50/night)............................350...........................13400

Airfare..........................................150...........................5

Food/Nightlife..............................350...........................13400

Total.............................................850..........................3

One trip to Chiang Mai (11 nights)

Hotel (30/night)............................330..........................12600

Bus Fare.......................................60............................2300

Food/Nightlife...............................550..........................21000

Total.............................................940...........................

One roundtrip ticket US/Bkk.........1000.........................38200

Total Expenses for 6 months......12235......................467300

Notes: Apartment/Condo would be a one bedroom, air conditioning, balcony, within 3 kilometers of beach in Pattaya. Cable and internet prices are American prices, I hope they might be a little cheaper in Pattaya. My nightlife is a lot because I figure I would go out 10 times per month. It might get cheaper if I find a steady girlfriend because then I wouldn't have to pay a 400 Baht barfine and 1000 Baht for the girl. Are these still the going rates, I don't want to overpay? Last time I was in Pattaya, I had to send my clothes out to get cleaned and that got pretty expensive. Aren't there any coin operated laundry facilities in Pattaya. Do you think my apartment will have a washer and dryer? The airfare to Phuket and bus fare to Chiang Mai are wild guesses. Did I miss any additional expenses? Thanks again for your help! :o

Apt (including utilities)................425...........................16200 Should be doable

Food......................................... .200...........................7600 Easy, 50/50 mix self cooking/resto

Nightlife......................................700..........................2670

the biggest variable, but accurate with a bit of self restraint

Cable TV.....................................25............................1000 Sophon cable is 450/month, but decent cable (UBC) is 1680/month

Internet Service..........................20............................800 depends on the phoneline you have in the place you'll rent, poor quality adsl starts at 590/month, decent around 1500/month

visa run.......................................25............................1000 a six month stay with a double entry tourist visa will cost you around 6000 Baht (2 1-month extensions, 1 visa run)

Total...........................................1545.........................590

I'll give some links to sites for you to browse, lots of info...

Pattaya mail classifieds , gives you an idea on rental prices

http://www.sophoncabletv.com

http://www.ubctv.com/default.aspx?

http://www.airasia.com/site/en/home.jsp, one of the lowbudget carriers

Apt (including utilities)................425...........................16200 (should get a pretty good place for that, like a "serviced apartment". Beware if electricity isn't included in the rent !)

Food......................................... .200...........................7600 (a little low, unless you plan on doing quite a bit of cooking yourself and eating local fare)

(depends where you drink and what you drink. Almost 1,000 baht a day should be plenty for most people)

Miscellaneous.............................150.......................... 5700 (a little low as well. Consider laundry, taxis, movies and other shopping you'll end up doing)

Cable TV.....................................25............................1000 (I pay 200 baht/month in my apartment for Sophon, according to my landlady)

Internet Service..........................20............................800 (I pay around 100 baht/month for my phone line, and 1,000/month for high-speed ADSL)

visa run.......................................25............................1000 (depends on your visa. If you are doing monthly trips, figure 2,000 baht per trip.)

6 MONTHS

Total...........................................9270.........................354

So much depends on the standard of living you'd be comfortable with. I get by quite nicely on less than 2/3rds of your proposed budget. I eat a lot of Thai food and cook for myself a lot. I don't drink too much, too often.

Other people wouldn't be happy on twice what you have proposed. If you are going to be living on a budget though, you'll soon find ways to make it happen and still enjoy your time here.

It might get cheaper if I find a steady girlfriend because then I wouldn't have to pay a 400 Baht barfine and 1000 Baht for the girl.

You're not likely to get a BG to stay with you for 6 months for free. The money you might save on some aspects will probably get spent on others.

Last time I was in Pattaya, I had to send my clothes out to get cleaned and that got pretty expensive. Aren't there any coin operated laundry facilities in Pattaya. Do you think my apartment will have a washer and dryer?

Haven't seen any apartments, or apartment buildings, with laundry facilities like they have in N America. Numerous laundry shops every where you look though. I've seen a couple of laundries that let you do your own stuff, not sure if they are coin machines or not. Some might give you a discount, or a set rate, if you are going to be there for awhile.

Another option is to buy one of those small apartment style washer/spinners, and then hang your stuff up to dry.

As I mentioned, it pretty much depends on what your standards are.

Thanks Monty and Kerryd. I'm glad I found this forum. There's a lot of good info here. I'll make a couple of adjustments on my budget and try and stick to it. One thing I learned on the last post was that it takes a lot of self discipline to live in Pattaya. I guess it's sort of like being a gambler who lives in Las Vegas. If you're a compulsive gambler, you will lose a lot of money.

Take care...

I think that your budget is a little short and i think that the first month you will probably spend more like 80-90k.

The whole point of going to Pattaya is to party hard.

Far better to go for it and spend less time than hang around for months on end denying yourself.

At 60k you will be living frugally.

I think that your budget is a little short and i think that the first month you will probably spend more like 80-90k.

Far better to go for it and spend less time than hang around for months on end denying yourself.

At 60k you will be living frugally.

I agree. I think 60k a month is definitely on the light side for a 'newbie' settling in; recently finished working, and looking for a good time. You will have to be extremely self disciplined to keep within your budget and that will sort of defeat the object of having a good time.

Sure some of the old timers, can live on less than 60 K, but I bet most, if not all of them spent a lot more when they first came here.

Your comments about getting a regular lady are not wishful thinking, but you must be realistic about how much it will cost to support one. Just work it out. If the girl is a half way decent looker and has a reasonable number of customers, plus regular 'ladies' drinks, figure out how much she makes a month. OK, if she is one of the less greedy ones, she might compromise on her monthly requirements, but if she has kids and family to support, she ain't gonna be that cheap. And even if she doesn't ask for much up front, you can be sure the requests will become more demaniding as time goes on. I'm sure other members will have their own opinions and experiences on this subject, but I'm just warning you that a regular lady may not be the answer to limited finances - often quite the opposite. Much better to pay cash on the nail, as and when you indulge. :o

I'm dying to find out how this all works out. Must be something of a first in so much pre-planning and advice. :D

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

Yep the nightlife allowance doesn't seem to include any barfines or female expenses.

Any girlfriend will cost you much more than 700 a day.

<snip - inappropriate comment deleted>

Realistically you want to have at least 100- 120 k a month to have a really good blow out. Just spend more a month and stay a little less longer.

Edited by Jai Dee

Agreed... double your nightlife allowance.

:o

Double it, and then invite you along every night to help him spend it ? :D

(hmmm, went to fill up my water-guns, and part-way through, the water ran out ! Did filling all those guns drain the resevoir that quickly ? :D )

Again - don't forget "Private Dancer". Author is Stephen Leather. It's a must read for anyone even thinking about going to Thailand.

A book of fiction is a good guide to Thailand ? How did it help you discover Thailand ?

To the OP, Yes you can get a Girlfriend, you are not an old man so you don't have to rely on the bar scene if you don't want to.

If you hang out in Bars you will meet Bargirls, if you go to Church, you will meet girls that go to Church, it's all up to you.

Nothing wrong with Bargirls, I have known some great girls that find themselves for whatever reason in the Bar, but what I am saying is, it is not the only option you have.

60k per Month, you can manage very well. :o

Edited by Maigo6

Last time I was in Pattaya, I had to send my clothes out to get cleaned and that got pretty expensive. Aren't there any coin operated laundry facilities in Pattaya. Do you think my apartment will have a washer and dryer?

Somebody ripped you off. Laundries are dirt cheap, I would not even include them in cost calculations.

Dryer and washer - still have to see an apartment with them. Large buildings would have not one but maybe 5-6 laundry shops (as View Talay) on the ground floor. With the prices of laundry being done for downstairs maybe you never switch them on.

Again - don't forget "Private Dancer". Author is Stephen Leather. It's a must read for anyone even thinking about going to Thailand.

The book is a fiction, a collection of stories that happened to different people, presented as if they were happening to one person.

For the info it brings, probably many of board members would know more than it provides.

Not worth time on it, IMO. I read it 5 years ago (takes 2 hours if that) and never reccommended to anyone seeking info on Thailand.

Not saying fiction lover won't enjoy that light piece of prose.

Edited by think_too_mut

Hi,

You guys were very helpful (and funny) with my last post, so I thought I'd ask for your advice again. I'm trying to make a six month budget for my holiday (Sept. 1, 2006 - Feb. 28, 2007). I'd like the numbers to be as accurate as possible. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Apt (including utilities)................425...........................16200

Food......................................... .200...........................7600

Cable TV.....................................25............................1000

Internet Service..........................20............................800

visa run.......................................25............................1000

6 MONTHS

ONE TIME EXPENSES

Hotel in Pattaya for 6 nights

while I search for apartment

Total...........................................175...........................67

One trip to phuket (7 nights)

Hotel (50/night)............................350...........................13400

Airfare..........................................150...........................5

Food/Nightlife..............................350...........................13400

Total.............................................850..........................3

One trip to Chiang Mai (11 nights)

Hotel (30/night)............................330..........................12600

Bus Fare.......................................60............................2300

Food/Nightlife...............................550..........................21000

Total.............................................940...........................

One roundtrip ticket US/Bkk.........1000.........................38200

Total Expenses for 6 months......12235......................467300

Notes: Apartment/Condo would be a one bedroom, air conditioning, balcony, within 3 kilometers of beach in Pattaya. Cable and internet prices are American prices, I hope they might be a little cheaper in Pattaya. My nightlife is a lot because I figure I would go out 10 times per month. It might get cheaper if I find a steady girlfriend because then I wouldn't have to pay a 400 Baht barfine and 1000 Baht for the girl. Are these still the going rates, I don't want to overpay? Last time I was in Pattaya, I had to send my clothes out to get cleaned and that got pretty expensive. Aren't there any coin operated laundry facilities in Pattaya. Do you think my apartment will have a washer and dryer? The airfare to Phuket and bus fare to Chiang Mai are wild guesses. Did I miss any additional expenses? Thanks again for your help! :o

For a 6 moonth trip? Looks decent .... even generous to me. Arriving before High season you shhould be able to get a place that is pretty decent for the prices you want ....

I think your issues will be boredom .... and needing a real thought about how much nightlife you are planning.

IF ... big IF ... you ride a motorcycle at home you may want to budget for that .....

you may also want a 10% Emergency fund .... (medical emergencies ... etc)

Personally I'd get a non-imm visa (multi-entry) that would mean one trip out of the country during your stay ... and make it a real trip ... (Angkor Wat? Singapore? $5 Massages in Phenom Penh :D )

Interesting, be more interesting to see an 'after' budget of what you actually do end up spending?

Your not budgeting a lot for food, sure you can eat local, but if you are coming from the US or? your body would struggle to adapt, an option here would be to be sure apartment has breakfast included, not difficult.

Entertainment, keeping within budget will be a definate struggle, hard to sit at home knowing whats happening just a short walk away.

Have fun

Yep the nightlife allowance doesn't seem to include any barfines or female expenses.

Any girlfriend will cost you much more than 700 a day.

<snip - inappropriate comment deleted>

Realistically you want to have at least 100- 120 k a month to have a really good blow out. Just spend more a month and stay a little less longer.

A few people I know of, went to Pattaya for 3-6 months and got "live in" girlfriends.

Somehow, they paid them just around 700US$ per month, +/- 200, to cook, clean and be girlfriends. The leat demanding one got 20K baht per month, in her pocket but she kept on dragging him around the bars, incurring extra expenses.

Most of them turned to be grateful and good companions but there was no saving. Neither the guys really wanted to spare, just had a good time. 2 out of 5 married them. One got badly burned by a psycho (a druggie).

Somebody ripped you off. Laundries are dirt cheap, I would not even include them in cost calculations.

You must be kidding. Laundry in BKK is about Tokyo-prices, which is NOT dirt cheap. I consider it one of my major expenses. Is it that much cheaper in Pattaya?

In theory you could survive on

-4000k per month rent

-4000k per month on food

- 000k per month on girlfriend (tho expect to pay for her food/drink)

-5000k per month misc

13,000 bht if your a cheapo!

Hey, I am a pretty frugal guy, but that sounds horrible!

Might as well stay home.

This life is a step up from prison, but ...

Have you seen what 4,000 baht a month will buy you in Pattaya for a room?

And then as a farang, you might be double priced and actually be getting a 2,000 baht room.

Forget " Private Dancer ", read " Money Number One " by an aussie bloke. It's about him and his total " ahem " cock ups ( no not that sort ) . It is hilareous and true and will give you an inkling into a new way of life and possibly relationships.

You must be kidding. Laundry in BKK is about Tokyo-prices, which is NOT dirt cheap. I consider it one of my major expenses. Is it that much cheaper in Pattaya?

276Y, approx. 90B is for 1 biz shirt in Tokyo

In my building in BKK it is 40B. In bulk, 60 items (whatever they are) for 500B.

Independent laundries in BKK and Pattaya 15-20B

T-shirts in Pattaya 5-10B.

Two weeks worth of t-shirts and shorts for 2, changed daily, never exceeded 180B in Pattaya.

A suitcase load of shirts was 220B. A young British couple, on their 3 weeks holiday, commented they would pay that much just for someone to pack them in the suicase, without washing and ironing them!

Marriott, Sheraton and similar do charge world prices for laundry, I agree.

Thanks for the suggestions. The two books, "Private Dancer" and "Money Number One", are on my "books to read" list. When I was in Pattaya, laundry was expensive. I was paying 20 - 40 Baht per item. I'm sure I was getting "takin' to the cleaners". My new and improved budget allows a lot more money for nightlife/entertainment/miscellaneous = 45000 Baht per month and my overall monthly budget will be about 75,000 Baht. That's about the same as my budget here in America. The girls and the alcohol will eat up over half my monthly budget. Money well spent.

Thanks for the suggestions. The two books, "Private Dancer" and "Money Number One", are on my "books to read" list. When I was in Pattaya, laundry was expensive. I was paying 20 - 40 Baht per item. I'm sure I was getting "takin' to the cleaners". My new and improved budget allows a lot more money for nightlife/entertainment/miscellaneous = 45000 Baht per month and my overall monthly budget will be about 75,000 Baht. That's about the same as my budget here in America. The girls and the alcohol will eat up over half my monthly budget. Money well spent.

I looked up Money Number One on the internet and it appears that he has another out called Money Still Number One. I will try to find them here and read them. Looks good - Thanks.

Agreed... double your nightlife allowance.

:o

triple it and pm me your favourite hang-outs. :D

75K is still not enough if you are out to have a good time.

Go for 100 - 120k and make it worthwhile.

If he can make the transition from holiday mode to ex-pat mode he'll be fine. If he stays in holiday mode he'll be on his way home in about 3 months. :o

I would love to see him posting here after 3 months in Pattaya. The transition is not only hard, could be near to impossibe. At his age, IMO.

Not saying he won't have some fun, but the joys would consume him and his money qucker than he thinks.