VoiP Phones

polakup

Hi ,

Can anybody help me regarding VoiP phone calls from Bangkok to Australian landlines, roughly 100 calls per day

Who is the best company to use?

What is the call quality like? Any lag?

Which internet provider is the best to use for this service in Bangkok?

Is it better to use something like Skype?

Thanks in advance.

You don't have to use local VoIP provider (if there's any). You can use VoIP provider(s) from your country or anywhere with cheaper price. Just configure your voip phone and connect to internet. ToT should work.

• Like 1

100 calls / day is a high volume of calls. If you'll use a voip provider, make sure it is close to Thailand. You won't want your calls pass thru Europe or USA, which will increase lag and ping time. Any voip provider between Thailand and Australia (Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia etc) should work.

I use www.mynetfone.com.au . They will have good plan for you. Excellent quality very reliable as long as your internet connetions is good here.

Thanks for that. So are you using mynetfone from Thailand calling into Australia?

Yes using it all the time but not 100 calls a day! I was using it in Australia before I came here. If you calling landlines not mobiles it AUD$0.10 per call untimed any where in AU but as you will see some calls are bundled into the various plans, you can also have a number in say Sydney or Melbourne which people can call you back on which is I think included in the some plans.

There certainly seem to be a variety of rates in the VoiP world.

I was just looking at he rates from my provider, and calls to Australia through the Aus companies like Telstra, Optus, and Vodafone are at US$0.135 but fixed line calls to the major cities are only 0.014 to 0.019 per minute. I'm very lucky with this company, and the country I call costs only 0.004 cents per minute -- land line or mobile. That means I can make 1,250 minutes of calls for $5, so shop around. It seems the prices vary greatly.

Most VoIP service providers have very lengthy terms of service, and many specifically prohibit a high volume of calls, or long duration calls, over a specific period and/or prohibit certain activities like telemarketing. Make sure you carefully review the terms of service to insure that you applications are acceptable.

From the hardware side, I use a "Fritzbox" (Wireless ADSL router and PBX) to cover all my International and VoIP needs, for both calling out and receiving. I have several different providers in the box, but one of my favorite is "Localphone" (at the moment 1.5 cent to all Australian landlines, 7.5 cents to mobiles). You also can put your (Thai or Australian) DID number into the box to receive calls, forward calls, receive fax, answering machine, etc... I bought the box here in Thailand: www.voip-thailand.com

They can also provide "bigger VoIP solutions", like used in call centers...

There is another option if you are planning to visit Australia to do it.

You can buy a 1 port GSM to Voip Gateway, or Goip. It works both ways, you can receive calls redirected via Voip to your Thai number or you can use voip to make calls. What you need is 1 GOIP device, 1 australian GSM (not 3G) sim card and some fixed internet connection. If you have a home or family in Australia, it can be setup. Of course I have no idea how much it costs to make calls in OZ, if it is more expensive than voip provider rates, no need to bother such setup.

• 3 months later...

I use www.mynetfone.com.au . They will have good plan for you. Excellent quality very reliable as long as your internet connetions is good here.

Thanks for that. So are you using mynetfone from Thailand calling into Australia?

Yes using it all the time but not 100 calls a day! I was using it in Australia before I came here.   If you calling landlines not mobiles it AUD$0.10 per call untimed any where in AU but as you will see some calls are bundled into the various plans, you can also have a number in say Sydney or Melbourne which people can call you back on which is I think included in the some plans.

Hi barryw52,

So with you using mynetfone in Thailand calling into Australia. What's the call quality like? Any lag? And what's a good internet plan/provider that you could recommend?

Thanks a lot mate. Appreciate it.

Hi Guys

Have been using 3 different Au based VOIP providers for the past 7 years .... as in those years it was mainly for business. Retired now and have settled on just 2 (one primary and one back up). 80% of calls were to Australia -- the rest to US and Europe. Now 95% calls are to AU

Re call quality: Probably 60--70% of the time it was faultless -- indistinguishable from a local land-line call. The balance was variable -- due mainly to the vagaries of my TOT adsl which always has hi jitter & often slow speeds.

For calls mainly to Au one of the many Au based providers shall be your best service choice.

My own choices were: #1 Pennytel (now owned by MNF)

#2 MNF (My Net Phone)

#3 WDP (World Dial Point) We used a business service with them. Most regard WDP as a very high quality retail VOIP service.

Many Au providers (not all) only accept Australian based credit cards.

Contracts are not the norm -- so if you already own the VOIP equipment -- it is simple and risk free to test the quality yourself.

For more info check :http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

Edited by tig28

Hi Guys

Have been using 3 different Au based VOIP providers for the past 7 years ....  as in those years it was mainly for business. Retired now and have settled on just 2 (one primary and one back up). 80% of calls were to Australia -- the rest to US and Europe. Now 95% calls are to AU

Re call quality: Probably 60--70% of the time it was faultless -- indistinguishable from a local land-line call. The balance was variable -- due mainly to the vagaries of my TOT adsl which always has hi jitter & often slow speeds.

For calls mainly to Au one of the many Au based providers shall  be your best service choice.

My own choices were: #1 Pennytel (now owned by MNF)

#2 MNF (My Net Phone)

#3 WDP (World Dial Point)  We used a business service with them.                                                 Most regard WDP as a very high quality retail VOIP service.

Many Au providers (not all) only accept Australian based credit cards.

Contracts are not the norm  -- so if you already own the VOIP equipment -- it is simple and risk free to test the quality yourself.

For more info check :http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

Hi. Thanks for that info. I plan on getting the best internet connection there is with TOT which is a fibre optics costing around 3000 bt per month. I would mainly be using the phone between 7am -4pm on weekdays.

I am currently using MNF in Australia and so far so good and I will take my Cisco phone to Thailand and I'm just hoping it continues to do well.

There seems to be so many questions and so many answers but I really won't know unless I try it out I guess.