Thai Foreign Minister Surapong: Iraq suspends Thai rice imports

webfact

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Iraq is just pushing back against Asian origin rice in general by setting new requirements for the type of rice Iraq will import. And what is really weird is rice from the U.S. and South America may be the only ones that qualify which Iraq already imports rice from. And we all know that the U.S. and Iraq are best buddies....maybe Iraq is trying to get back on the U.S.'s good side by buying more of their rice.

Link to below quoted story follows: Link

Iraq Tightens Rice Import Norms; Asian Origins May Not Qualify PDF Imprimir E-mail

Iraq has raised the quality standards for rice import tenders, making it very difficult for Asian origins to qualify, trading executives said.

In its latest tender, which opens later Wednesday, Iraq has increased the minimum length of grain and reduced the stipulated amount of broken and chalky grain, said a Singapore-based trading executive who offers rice at tenders issued by Iraq's state-run grain board.

You deleted the best part of your quote:

He said Iraq wants to discourage trading companies from offering rice whose taste is unacceptable, even if it is cheaper.

yes i find it strange they never publish their selling price in these deals they talk of...should,nt that all be out in the open?

PTP xxxxx up the country's rice industry because of their corruption and incompetence. Even the Iraqis don't want our rice now.

But hey, it's important Thaksin is thanked for the information! Thanks Thaksin!

Thailand the hub of Ricebergs clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Thaitanic watch out for the riceberg.

Right, I'm new to the topic after 4 years away from LOS.

Here is what I read this morning, there's an explanation about the low quality rice in it.

I hope it hasn't been posted before.

http://www.economist.com/news/asia/21583281-increasingly-unpopular-government-sticks-its-worst-and-most-costly-policy-rice-mountain

I was surprised that the Economist would not do more research on it. They opened up with

"This week an opinion poll carried out by Bangkok University"

In other words about 1,500 people in about 27 provinces were talked to. Some poll. Has the Economist standards of reporting sunk to the level of The Nation?

The whole article was just rehash of commonly known facts.coffee1.gif

Here is what I read this morning, there's an explanation about the low quality rice in it.

http://www.economist.com/news/asia/21583281-increasingly-unpopular-government-sticks-its-worst-and-most-costly-policy-rice-mountain

I was surprised that the Economist would not do more research on it. They opened up with

In other words about 1,500 people in about 27 provinces were talked to. Some poll. Has the Economist standards of reporting sunk to the level of The Nation?

Common sense would tell me that what is written in The Economist has far more credibility than most of the sh1t written on the TVF - and yes, that includes you. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

This of course could be just the first step in making Thaksin a great hero.

He will now go to Iraq with the Thai delegation and single handedly (or mouthedly) talk them into reversing their decision and even upping their order.

Just another example of how much this country needs this great statesman.

The amnesty bill must be passed quickly to get him back to make this country great.

Would you want to be part of ptp going to Iraq after the video with the guys with ak47s? Or your diplomats starting a brawl in Egypt?

• Like 1

Common sense would tell me that what is written in The Economist has far more credibility than most of the sh1t written on the TVF - and yes, that includes you. coffee1.gif

Common sense would tell me that what is written in the Economist would be more than what is written here on Thai Visa and that includes you.

If you had read the whole post you would have seen where I said it was just a rehash. Now you answer my question has there reporting sunk down to the level of the Nation?coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Common sense would tell me that what is written in the Economist would be more than what is written here on Thai Visa and that includes you.

If you had read the whole post you would have seen where I said it was just a rehash. Now you answer my question has there reporting sunk down to the level of the Nation?coffee1.gif

But most bankers economists don't even register Thailand at all. Putting the economist into the mix spreads the word very far and very wide.

Lest we forget they hailed thaksinomics.

A report that Iraq would suspend rice imports from Thailand due to low quality? A report received from our dear fugitive criminal?

Didn't our PM threaten anyone who spread rumours and incorrect stories on the quality of Thai rice? Well, luckily this chap is already a fugitive rolleyes.gif

Cp should sue Surapong.

xxxxx? why is this report coming from Thaksin?? blink.png

Because he's running the government and represents the government overseas.

He told the Foreign Minister because they are close cousins.

Commerce Minister Niwatthumrong doesn't rank high enough to be included on personal discussions.

It will be the Foreign Minister then who transfers the information to the appropriate Commerce Minister to deal with the issue.

This is a sign of things to come. With Thaksin in charge, who needs a parliament or cabinet to run the gov't?

From a reputation of selling high quality rice, which attracted a price premium, to being totally rejected as a low-quality supplier. Now that's something to cheer about.

The big problem is that the Thai banks involved count the stored rice as assets valued at the purchase price, when they are worth nothing like that, and are depreciating in value daily while attracting additional storage costs. When that reality hits home the whole house of cards will collapse.

That's something the 2.2 trillion Baht loan will gloss over.

Has this story been reported on Thai television?

Thailand has difficulties enough getting anyone to buy their rice and when they find someone to buy, they eff it up by shipping sub-par quality to them. This is 'weapons grade' stupidity. Not only have they lost out on the sale but they have now advertised to the World that they are cheats and their rice is not to be trusted. Some pro-government Thai newspapers blame Democrats for spreading false rumors about problems with corruption and lowered quality in the Rice Scheme and yet the government is damaging its reputation, all by itself, way more than the Democrats ever could.

Pointing a finger at the democrats and threatening lawsuits of anyone reporting derogatory comments about thai rice or the whole scam is just the warmup before the already planed the full blown game tactics of passing the blame,