Krungsri online banking

Anyone got any experience with this bank? I have heard scb has a good online system. Basically I just want to do electronic transfers to other thai banks when I am not in LOS. Also if there are any other handy little things I should know about it would be much appreciated. Changing banks isnt really an option for me at the moment or I would have gone with Kasikorn or Siam

Krung Sri is pretty good. However, the problem you're going to face is that you need to receive a password by SMS every time you make a transaction. You'd need to check that you can use a non-Thailand mobile 'phone number. This is pretty much the case for all Thai banks.

As for the online system being good, I wouldn't say that. Very basic compared with what's available in, say, the UK.

• Like 1

Email unless they have changed the rules back again was disbanded by Krungsri sometime ago. Though some still think they can use it, it is unlikely they will go back to this system. See their latest website ONLY mentions SMS OTP. To be sure you need a highly trusted contact in Thailand to give you the OTP on a cell number you can leave with someone in Thailand.

If you use 1-2-Call SIM's many of the common ones will still work overseas but at extreme rates and I have found to my detriment over several times that they randomly stop working and you cannot change the cell number at Krungsri over the phone or without attending your local branch with passport; obviously difficult if you are in Inner Mongolia. Forget those useless overpriced True so called "International" SIM's. I have never had one or met anyone that had one work outside of Thailand! Maybe in developed countries some may work but I've personally found none. Unless rules have changed they will not register an overseas number for OTP, possibly as it will cost them more for the text???

I found it difficult to deal with Thai banks (not just Krungsri) especially when I'm out of country but all Thai banks are highly insular even they claim otherwise. Dealing with their call centres from overseas is very difficult even with a native Thai speaker to explain you aren't in Thailand and can't just "pop down" to the local branch. Seems beyond their comprehension of why you can't do that. Now I deal with Kasikorn which I find is marginally better.

Other problem when sending money is the faxed documents required by law before sending (yeah who uses faxes now?). Many of the girls will send the money before they get these documents luckily especially in the case of Krungsri, but if you do not supply them after that first time, don't expect them to do it as a favour a second time. If you have a good local branch that you can get their local number from, set it up BEFORE you leave the country and maintain a personal relationship with the local manager or someone in THAT branch. Personal contact and links are far more important in Thailand than in developed countries and it helps a lot with getting through the system if you are overseas. Similar to a Relationship Manger with HSBC.

Not sure if they will accept email scans yet for your documents; check with them in writing, don't rely on call centre girls, many don't know their own rules and certainly with anything outside of Thailand receives mixed often incorrect responses. Many of them will tell you what you WANT to hear not give accurate details. As there is little accountability with these people, if they tell you something wrong and YOU have a problem the most you will get back is a nice smile and nothing will happen.

Bottom line, sending money IN is very easy, they like that (funny about that); but transferring money OUT of Thailand from international destinations even on the Internet can prove difficult as they need proof of you all over again and specific proof of why you are sending money and in what category it goes so they can "tick" the box for legalities. If you are still in Thailand, don't be lazy or rely solely on call centre "advice"; talk in person to you local Krungsri branch manager as suggested. thumbsup.gif

Edited by fiercesnake

Email unless they have changed the rules back again was disbanded by Krungsri sometime ago. Though some still think they can use it, it is unlikely they will go back to this system. See their latest website ONLY mentions SMS OTP.

After I was corrected by JSixpack I checked on my account. There is indeed a tiny link "How to receive OTP via e-mail?". If you click through it you read:

Steps of Change Request Application Form (For Individuals)

1. Complete the "Change Request Application Form".

2. Click "Next" to verify your detail and then click "Confirm".

3. Print and sign the Request Application Form. The signature must be the same as the signature given when you opened the account.

4. Send the form along with a signed photocopy of your identification document to any branch with passbook for verify signature in person.

5. The bank will confidentially notify you of the update of service function via postal mail and/or e-mail within 7-14 business days.

It certainly looks as if JSixpack was correct about being able to receive the OTP by email.

• Like 2

Set as much as possible up before you leave Thailand, and test it works for everything you think you might do while here. That includes:

- adding all the payment beneficiaries you can think of to third parties as well as your own accounts with same and different banks.

- checking your daily payment and transfer limits are set at levels you want.

- registering your mobile phone for alerts and second level authentications (2LAs) / OTPs

- any direct debits you need for things like utilities, credit card etc

As mentioned your mobile SIM card will likely work outside Thailand and likely receive SMS for free, but have a backup in case it doesn't.

For payments, while 2LA / OTPs within your limits are usually required to set up or alter the details of a beneficiary. To make a transfer to an existing beneficiary within limits, that is already set up 2LA/ OTP may not be needed (not needed for my banks once set up). I regularly do payments while out of Thailand, and no OTP/2LA is required for beneficiaries already set up and within limit.

Check all payment beneficiaries with a THB 1 payment before you leave Thailand to check they work and are correct.

You may also want to make sure you have more than one account so you can do a THB 1 transfer between them every few months to prevent the accounts becoming inactive if you're out of the country for extended periods, and not using much. If your account becomes "inactive" you'll find as a mass market customer of many banks they expect you to go in in person and deposit say 100 baht to activate it again - not exactly convenient if you're overseas.

Cheers

Fletch :)

Not great compared with other more developed countries, but Krungsi is as good as you will get in Thailand. I've been with them for quite a few years.

Without the SMS (or email) password requirement referred to above I would be a bit worried about the security of their password etc system, but to me, that practice tightens up security of transactions greatly.

I've written to them to confirm as this has been up there for years even after they stopped using emails for fear of security issues at the time. Just because they leave an old instruction up there doesn't means it's still active.

I had this before and quoted this to them this very document and just got the call centre girl saying no they don't do it, to me asking why keep it there then it if they don't do it, but obviously no passing the message on or doing something about it up their admin chain. Send a message yourself and let's see if they bother to answer. Most emails on their general website go ignored as do so many big companies with generic email requests but maybe we will get lucky and someone will write back and we can post the response to clarify.

I use Krungsri mainly in-country for banking transfers and bill payment on Thai credit card payments. When transferring up-country or out of Bangkok, there is a fee but no fee for transfers in town or between my bank accounts. The SMS OTP works good and is needed for all transfers except between my accounts or in town transfers. Bill payments get the SMS trick. A lot better than going to the bank just to make transfers.

Edited by puyaidon
  • Like 1

Have been with Krungsri for about 2 years since HSBC closed.

They are as good as any other bank. I make transfers from the u.s. and it take a day and a half, so pretty good.

Have had good service.

Myself as well. I set up a monthly deposit from my US bank to Krungsri and I have had no problems yet.

Dealing with their call centres from overseas is very difficult even with a native Thai speaker to explain you aren't in Thailand and can't just "pop down" to the local branch. Seems beyond their comprehension of why you can't do that.

Nonsense. What's with the extreme condescension? Let's not blame the messengers. Actually it's merely beyond YOUR comprehension that your appearing at your bank branch in person with ID, talking to the officer assigned to deal with your problem, and submitting paper forms are often required according to the rules and procedures of a Thai bank. If you aren't in Thailand, that's your problem.

Despite the inconvenience, it's not such a bad system, probably cuts down on a lot of fraud. But OBVIOUSLY you can't just leave the country and then expect you can do everything with just a phone call. If in doubt, go to the branch and ask questions first.

If you don't want to follow their rules and procedures, don't open an account. It's that simple.

I do like Krung Thai Bank. Have had some incredibly good service from officers at my branches--but each branch is its own little fiefdom, and I get along with Thais pretty well anyway. The online banking facility is quite good by Thai standards, no complaints here.

Dealing with their call centres from overseas is very difficult even with a native Thai speaker to explain you aren't in Thailand and can't just "pop down" to the local branch. Seems beyond their comprehension of why you can't do that.

Nonsense. What's with the extreme condescension? Let's not blame the messengers. Actually it's merely beyond YOUR comprehension that your appearing at your bank branch in person with ID, talking to the officer assigned to deal with your problem, and submitting paper forms are often required according to the rules and procedures of a Thai bank. If you aren't in Thailand, that's your problem.

Despite the inconvenience, it's not such a bad system, probably cuts down on a lot of fraud. But OBVIOUSLY you can't just leave the country and then expect you can do everything with just a phone call. If in doubt, go to the branch and ask questions first.

If you don't want to follow their rules and procedures, don't open an account. It's that simple.

I do like Krung Thai Bank. Have had some incredibly good service from officers at my branches--but each branch is its own little fiefdom, and I get along with Thais pretty well anyway. The online banking facility is quite good by Thai standards, no complaints here.

Thanks J but I was speaking more to the original poster. Unfortunately the way you have written your responses seem quite condescending and is probably why I don't write a lot on TV as even a simple reply trying to help a person about a bank question gets some smart reply as above. You can see from your reply above as the letters in upper case are a smug insult as it it "OBVIOUS" and "MY" comprehension that is in question. sad.png

Maybe you have had a good experience, lucky for you. thumbsup.gif Not everyone has these same amazingly great experiences in Thailand or anywhere else especially in regard call centres. Our experience (not yours J) was one of constant misunderstandings from bank employees and misunderstandings that we already had accounts with them and that we were not physically in the country. This was not confusion about legalities in our case. The messages were confused between one branch to another as we were switched over several days from one person to another over a simple issue, not the same as this one above. The problem was that no one was able to give a clear answer or most important take responsibility for what should have been a straightforward question as most just simply didn't know what the rules were in relation to clients overseas.

Worse than that instead of trying to find out no one took the initiative to find out even the local branch manager got it wrong and kept sending us back to the call centre whilst the call centre kept sending us back to the branch, both claiming by email and phone calls that it was the responsibility of the other! We ended up having no luck so sorted it all easily with another bank and tend to use HSBC now to avoid future problems,

Anyway back to the original question as I suggested we ask the bank in writing to see if they will allow emails as their general policy is to use only SMS now. The bank has just replied a few hours ago with the following:

"Refer to your inquiry for KrungsriOnline service, it is our security policy that the OTP will be sent through SMS to customer's local mobile phone. However, if customer is living abroad and cannot receive the SMS, we would suggest customer to fill in an application form to receive the OTP through e-mail and submit with all request documents to us for customer's identification verification.

Customer can log in to KrungsriOnline and follow the following steps:

1. Click “Setting”

2. Click “Application Request form” and Next

3. Enter Personal Data

4. Click the last line: Request for Add/Cancel the Receiving One Time Password (OTP) Service via e-mail Application Form.

5. Click  Add the Receiving One Time Password (OTP) Service via e-mail

6. Click 3 boxes to accept the Acknowledgement, Next, Confirm and Print.

7. Sign the request form with the same signature when you opened the account and scan to us with the following signed documents:

: Copy of your valid Passport

: Copy of bank passbook

We will coordinate to relevant department for further process as soon as we receive all completed documents and you will be informed by e-mail when your receiving OTP through e-mail is ready."

As seen above it is the bank policy to use only SMS but as they realise that not everyone stays in Thailand all the time they will kindly allow email now for those living abroad.

I hope this may have been helpful to some. smile.png

Krung Sri is pretty good. However, the problem you're going to face is that you need to receive a password by SMS every time you make a transaction. You'd need to check that you can use a non-Thailand mobile 'phone number. This is pretty much the case for all Thai banks.

As for the online system being good, I wouldn't say that. Very basic compared with what's available in, say, the UK.

Your password can be sent yo your email address

Thanks J but I was speaking more to the original poster.

Irrelevant, as I'm talking not about who you're talking TO but about who you're talking ABOUT: Thai call center staff.

Here it is again for you:

Beyond their comprehension? No. It's hardly beyond the comprehension of even a child that if you're in a foreign country, you can't "pop down" to a local branch in Thailand. Nobody is that stupid, and to imply that the staff of the call center are so retarded is extremely condescending, insulting, and maybe even racist. It perpetuates completely unfair negative stereotypes and totally misleads our members as to the competence of the call center staff.

You're blaming them for what was in fact your own lack of comprehension about the bank policies on THIS particular point. Now the OTHER points--those are different matters, but may also not reflect the comprehension of the staff but just confusion as to how best to handle those matters.

Now initially you denied that the OTP could be sent by email. I noted it can be. You said there's no mention on the website. Another poster noted that in fact there is. Then you said it's probably not active. I noted that is still is (as indicated by my original post). I'm glad you've now seen the light. Good luck w/ future communications w/ the bank.