Where in Phuket?

WildeWill

Jowdy

I am on my way to Thailand, deffs Phuket

I am a Chef and was wonderring where in Phuket would be the coolest places to live

Some of my criteria would be

Not too expensive, not too noisy fairly close to a beach and where i would be able to look for work as a chef

If you do help can you tell me perhaps of some places that arent that awesome

thanx

It always hot here, never cool and always more expensive to live here than anywhere else in Thailand. It doesn't sound like you have a job. What kind of visa will you have? Getting a work permit isn't easy, even if you own a restaurant. I think you need to do a lot more research before coming here and thinking you'll get a job as a chef that would come close to paying your living expenses. Oh course, this is just my humble opinion... Good luck.

I will have ample funding for at least 5 months to find a job, in the meanwhile i will learn thai on my ed visa then get a work permit when i eventually get a job, i have over 10 years international experience and recently won chef of the year, so im not worried if i will find a job, i asked where in phuket not if i should come to Thailand

• Like 1

Patong will be ur best bet for finding a job and place to live but be aware its the most touristy as well

I live in Kamala, the hidden gem , that everyone forgets about, ( thank god) we dont have any gyms or boxing camps so no young guys causing trouble and the streets are laid out nicely

I cant handle going to Rawaii of Nai harn or Chalong, ( which has the worst traffic on the island)

IN fact the only good thing about Chalong in Kaen Eang restuarant.

• Like 1

Patong will be ur best bet for finding a job and place to live but be aware its the most touristy as well

I live in Kamala, the hidden gem , that everyone forgets about, ( thank god) we dont have any gyms or boxing camps so no young guys causing trouble and the streets are laid out nicely

I cant handle going to Rawaii of Nai harn or Chalong, ( which has the worst traffic on the island)

You forgot to add that Kamala beach is probably the worst beach on the island.

That's why it's forgotten.

• Like 2

The Cape Panwa area could meet your needs. It's a pretty chilled out area, no high density tourists, not a lot of hotels (but mostly high end types and could be a source of employment for a farang chef). Couple of decent beaches, and only 10 minutes or so from Phuket Town.

• Like 1

It sounds to me like you should get a serviced apartment somewhere in a central location (Phuket Town, Kathu, Rassada, etc.) until you actually land a job, then look again. If you were to move to Rawai, for example, then got a job in Cherng Talay or Kamala (for example) you would soon find yourself spending more time stuck in traffic than wielding a spatula...

Edited by phuketsub

Thank you for all the positive feedback,,,

Yea i can ride a motorbike, had an old kawa 1000 a few years ago, now im into cruizers,

I would like to do some Muay thai, and i can always drive if i want a good night out i reckon, i have been working in namibia (Africa) so i have gotten quite used to the silence, so noise would be an issue, and Muslim areas with their midnight chanting will drive me nuts,, worked in zanzibar and vowed never to go to another muslim country again

Rawai / Nai Harn /cape panwa seems like a good bet

Yea i can ride a motorbike, had an old kawa 1000 a few years ago, now im into cruizers,

I would like to do some Muay thai, and i can always drive if i want a good night out i reckon, i have been working in namibia (Africa) so i have gotten quite used to the silence, so noise would be an issue, and Muslim areas with their midnight chanting will drive me nuts,, worked in zanzibar and vowed never to go to another muslim country again

With your aversion to the Muslims WW, parts of Nai Harn might be out. I have a mosque down the street from me, certain times of year Imam du jour comes in loud and clear at 5 AM. Doesn't bother me, I laugh because all the dogs start howling, roll over go back to sleep. Surin area definitely out for you.

Cape Panwa is pretty far out there, finding a Muay Thai camp, well, they are like 7-11's at this point, everywhere.

I'd say prioritize for us, what is going to be more important 1-5 and then we'll get some good responses. i.e #1 quiet, #2 training (examples anyway).

• Like 1

Cape Panwa, Rawai, all muslims areas with quite a few mosques between them.

In fact the original population of Phket are muslims and they used to live from fishing, hence in all nice coastal villages will be mosques.

Prioritization

1. Quiet and not too expensive, want to pay a few months in advance

2. A place where i should be able to find work as a farang chef - have a few months to do this

3. fairly close to a beach a muay thai camp a good night out - should be walking or jogging distance 2 kilometers

Nai - harn seems like the perfect spot

Nai Harn is perfect based on your criteria. There are several Muay Thai camps although you'd need a scooter to get around properly. As has been suggested, move somewhere you are going to enjoy living for the first few months and then you can figure out the job situation when the time comes.

• Like 1

The only problem with Nai Harn is there seems to be an influx of Lady boys that look HIV riddled. They seem to travel around in packs near icon in the early morning hours. I would be a bit careful riding around between 4 and 6am in low season. I would recommend buying a car instead of a bike for many other reasons too. It keeps the rain off and also the driving is not for the inexperienced.

But that is the only negative about the area. The beach is great and the shops and restaurants there are fantastic. The locals are fairly nice too

• Like 1

The only people that preach how good it is in Kamala got sucked into a real estate deal or bar soon after venturing away from Patong. Normally in the first 6 months of calling Phuket home. Kamala is the 2nd worst beach in Phuket, after Patong. It offers absolutely nothing. A few Aussie bars. Thats it. Plus it is a rip off for rents

• Like 2

Kamala town has me baffled.

A wasteland of shattered dreams once the town never kicked on. Desperate bars and restaurants empty just adds to the misery.

The beach is worse than Patong by far and the canal on the southern end spews filth I've never seen elsewhere, maybe klongs of bkk are worse.

• Like 2

Jealious a bit???

biggrin.png

i spent 13 years in patong before i moved over and brought land in Kamala ( that was over 13 years ago)

sucked in,,,, not quite

what it offers is peace and quet.

Not jelous of hanging out with the geriatric Aussie gang in gods waiting room beach. The OP stated he wanted to train in Muay Thai. If there are no camps there then its not exactly what he wants is it? Also the OP is a Chef. What does Kamala have in the way of cuisine? Lady pies with mash and hamburgers at the Aussie bars...somehow i dont think he will be too thrilled with that.

Rawaii Muay Thai is good and the area near by is good too to live. Soi Sai Yuan is where its happening. Its never boring. There is plenty of bars and even a couple of nightclubs that go till 6am.

• Like 1

sorry seems u an i have diferent opinion on what it means to live in Thailand and Phuket,

I did not move here to train Muay Thai or hang out in bars till 6 am.

PLUS he will have a better chance of getting a resonable salary in Patong and the drive from Rawai would be a killer if one had to do it on a daily basis

Jealious a bit???

biggrin.png

i spent 13 years in patong before i moved over and brought land in Kamala ( that was over 13 years ago)

sucked in,,,, not quite

what it offers is peace and quet.

Not jelous of hanging out with the geriatric Aussie gang in gods waiting room beach. <snip>

I seem to remember you saying the same thing about Rawai... Seems like you've changed your location and tune.
  • Like 1

yes its possible l said that, but l would have said geriatric Englishmen Or Americans about Rawaii. There are not many Australians in Rawaii. Also l only see a few geriatrics past 2am at laguna and icon. Mostly young people hang there. Also l have noticed a lot more young Russians settling in Rawaii of late. So overall 'gods waiting room for Australians' is much more relevant to Kamala.

yes its possible l said that, but l would have said geriatric Englishmen Or Americans about Rawaii. There are not many Australians in Rawaii. Also l only see a few geriatrics past 2am at laguna and icon. Mostly young people hang there. Also l have noticed a lot more young Russians settling in Rawaii of late. So overall 'gods waiting room for Australians' is much more relevant to Kamala.

Your continual mouthing off and disrespect of your elders on this forum is rather tiresome ...one thing that may be in your favour..you probably wont have to worry about being geriatric and hanging out in gods waiting room if your mouth runs off out in public as much as your keyboard does. whilst you are hiding behind it.....just saying...coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Your continual mouthing off and disrespect of your elders on this forum is rather tiresome ...one thing that may be in your favour..you probably wont have to worry about being geriatric and hanging out in gods waiting room if your mouth runs off out in public as much as your keyboard does. whilst you are hiding behind it.....just saying...coffee1.gif

I actually know more than a few people from TV personally and I am always up for a beer and a chat. Everyone knows what i look like, where I drink and hang out wink.png