Wanted ex-monk 'ready to surrender' to DSI

Lite Beer

Wanted ex-monk 'ready to surrender' to DSI
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- Sukit Poonsrikasem, lawyer of fugitive ex-monk Wirapol Sukphol, insisted yesterday that Wirapol - reportedly staying in Laos at a temple 100km from the Laotian capital, Vientiane - would return to Thailand after Tuesday.

Sukit said the ex-monk, formerly known as Luang Pu Nenkham, was determined to meet the Department of Special Investigation (DSI), provided that he be granted temporary release during the investigation, as the agency had been fair in giving him time to surrender. Sukij said he would confirm the exact date of the ex-monk's surrender after Tuesday, so that officials could pick him up at an immigration police checkpoint.

An informed source reported that the ex-monk had managed to leave the United States in early August, despite his passport being revoked.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-11

Things need to be checked, but the donated money was probably used for tax-reduction purposes (to avoid taxes).

In this case it can not be a personal donation, but it should be donation to the temple. The the question is ... how can he be that rich?

Did he steal donated money from the temple?

Or did he accept donations from high placed people (army generals?) write a certificate for it that can be used for tax reduction purposes and return the money, while keeping a certain percentage?

Temples are very often very, very rich. But individual monks usually don't build up that much wealth.

If there are high placed people involved, we'll probably never find out the full truth.

I yet fail to see what "crimes" he has commited

biggrin.png

They had a stampede to convict and kept banging on about all these charges, but of course no details - then when they come out, it's like this is all they have ?!!

He just needs to make some merit let things calm down, maybe take some other trips, or pilgrimages, and the next scandal will come along and everybody will forget about this one. Then he can get back to making money, impregnating acolytes and other important matters

Just the flavor of the day, it'll be gone tomorrow

Well, apparently, 200 million baht a day went through 14 bank accounts in his name. Suppose these were donations. Suppose each donation was 2000 Baht (a reasonable supposition.) Then 100,000 people per day would have to tramp through the temple making donations and 36,500,000 a year. Is this even physically possible? Suppose each donation was 5000 baht. Then 40,000 people per day and 1,460,000 a year would have to tramp through the temple. Is this physically possible or reasonable? Suppose each donation was 100,000 baht (an infeasible amount). even then, 2,000 people a day and 730,000 people a year would have to tramp through the temple. I take it that 730,000 donations of 100,000 baht each per year is infeasible.

So, there are strong indications that he was laundering large amounts of money for people in power. This warrants serious investigation.

and as soon as he gets back it will all be cleared up. They need him to complete the investigation. As we all know a Buddhist monk cannot tell a lie.

A DNA test would go a long way to giving credence to the under-age sex charges. My spin is; he's got gobs of money, he's overseas, he's got a truckload of trouble awaiting him if he returns to Thailand....

He'll do what any red-blooded Thai would do: throw out a bunch of nice-sounding rhetoric, and stay the heck away from from Thailand. .....oh, and don't forget a bunch of lavish spending sprees to spice things up a bit.

What a freak, monk fathers a 14 year old, take donated money for own enrichment, what a fuc_king low life fuc_k, he will have a good time behind bars, if the Thai justic prevail

If Thai justice prevails ?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Is sex with a 14 yr old ok in your opinion ? w00t.gif

biggrin.png

They had a stampede to convict and kept banging on about all these charges, but of course no details - then when they come out, it's like this is all they have ?!!

He just needs to make some merit let things calm down, maybe take some other trips, or pilgrimages, and the next scandal will come along and everybody will forget about this one. Then he can get back to making money, impregnating acolytes and other important matters

biggrin.png

Agreed. Notice how the import car tax scam has done the smooth Thai fade away... Given the serious amounts of money this guy was laundering, I have a sense those power people will protect him so he does not start singing like a bird in prison. I love this place !!!!!!

• Like 1

biggrin.png alt=biggrin.png>

Agreed. Notice how the import car tax scam has done the smooth Thai fade away... Given the serious amounts of money this guy was laundering, I have a sense those power people will protect him so he does not start singing like a bird in prison. I love this place !!!!!!

Good analogy: Import car tax scam along alongside corrupt fake monk. There are a slew of other similar incidents which occur here. An underlying premise is; not just what Thais will tolerate, but the basic moral fiber of Thainess. Granted, corruption can happen in any country, but here it seems so accepted. It's as tho the mere mention of it, and perhaps one or two perpetrators (in each specified case) - is enough retaliation in itself, .......and then on to a game of golf followed by a sumptuous snack of fried crickets and congealed pig's blood.