Speeding Camera on Lampang=Chiang Mai Road

ianf

Yep! I got caught doing 115km ph on the downhill stretch of road somewhere after Khun Tan heading from Lampang back to Chiang Mai on 26 June. Just got back from Europe today to find a letter from the boys in brown fining me 400 baht. That I was speeding, I have no doubt, but I never saw a camera flash. Getting more like the UK every day where there is a camera on every street corner! Just posted this as a warning to others, but I can't argue with the fine!

Except the UK would have cost you more like 20,000 Baht and 3 points on your licence. Thanks for the heads up, I had heard of cameras in Bangkok but it is a shock them coming here. The biggest money would come from red light cameras!

I'll think you'll find it is a guy with a pair of binoculars. He reads out the plate and his mate has a notepad and pen noting the numbers down. clap2.gif

They do have speed cameras in Chiang Mai now.A police neighbour showed me a photo of a vehicle being caught on camera .

If it was in the daytime, why would they need a flash?

The national budget will take a leap if they start using speed cameras on the ringroads, where the solitary sign reminds us that the speed limit is 90kmh.

It's usually the cameras at traffic lights which have a flash. Now that would definitely boost the budget. The Thais love adopting western technology in part - let 'em enjoy the full package! That would be about 6 cars and a good few motorbikes per change of lights @ ฿400.00......... w00t.gif

I got a ticket from the same camera last year. Same price 400 baht

They send you a nice photo of your plate & you can even see yourself quite clearly.

As others have said not a bad deal price wise & no insurance hikes/points etc.

For future ref you might note that along those stretches which are 2 lanes in each direction local & commercial folks use the fast lane only to pass.

Then they jump right back into the left/slow lane.But do not slow down. Even the silver vans & buses that fly thru there.

I do not know if it is true but it has been reported by Thai's on Pantip that the camera is stationary & catches only the fast right lane.

They could be right as I have never had a ticket since & now do notice the locals do not stay in that fast lane thru that section.

Only using it for passing

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

That's too bad. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Having speeding cameras in Chiang Mai would ruin my day if I lived there. Move to Ubon where their is only the occasional police road check where they only ticket motor bikes for no helmets and current license . Never see them stop automobiles nor heard of anyone getting a ticket here in Ubon for speeding. clap2.gif

That's too bad. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Having speeding cameras in Chiang Mai would ruin my day if I lived there. Move to Ubon where their is only the occasional police road check where they only ticket motor bikes for no helmets and current license . Never see them stop automobiles nor heard of anyone getting a ticket here in Ubon for speeding. clap2.gif

Move to Ubon just to avoid speeding cameras?? Think I will stick with the speed cameras thanks! wink.png

• Like 2

No worries, I spent 100,000 baht on a camera blocker that creates a distinct hot spot in the camcorder image rather like the bright eyes that you see on animals when shooting in night vision mode. These IR lights overwhelm the sensor (in the same way that a bright light would) and lead to overexposed pictures that are virtually indiscernible. The rapidly changing lighting (as the LEDs turn on and off) also prevents the sensor from adapting to the changing lighting conditions, and the IR LEDs are invisible to the human eye, so the people watching the demo aren’t affected or aware of the blocking.

So after avoiding 250 tickets, this thing will pay for itself!!! smile.png

• Like 2

On the other hand Ubon is the only place I have ever had Police point a radar gun at me!

Move to Ubon just to avoid speeding cameras?? Think I will stick with the speed cameras thanks! wink.png

Agree, a little far fetched, but a lot of people live in Thailand to get away from all the Big Brother and his attempted control our private lives.

I have a cheap Thai GPS in my car and it gives me a warning when approaching a camera. The first time I heard the loud screeching noise I didn't know what it was. The my wife looked at the GPS and in flashing red lights ..camera..Since then I am sure it has saved me a few bahts.

There is a speed trap about 60km south of Kamphaeng Phet most days. Last time they got me there it cost me 200Baht.

There was a camera around Tak about 6 weeks ago which got me at 140km/hr. They sent some good photos and the fine was 400Baht.

There is a speed trap about 60km south of Kamphaeng Phet most days. Last time they got me there it cost me 200Baht.

There was a camera around Tak about 6 weeks ago which got me at 140km/hr. They sent some good photos and the fine was 400Baht.

I always thought it would be funny to send a photo of the 400 baht :lol:

I am guessing they may not appreciate the joke though

Edited by mania

look out if Thailand heads the same way as the nanny state(Australia) you will see a big reduction in people driving as there is a point system and after 12 points in you lose your license for 3 months. They give you a 3% tolerance, so if you do 106 klm(100 klm speed limit) you will be fined . on one freeway in Melbourne they have a total of 30 speed cameras!! not to mention the red light cameras.

look out if Thailand heads the same way as the nanny state(Australia) you will see a big reduction in people driving as there is a point system and after 12 points in you lose your license for 3 months. They give you a 3% tolerance, so if you do 106 klm(100 klm speed limit) you will be fined . on one freeway in Melbourne they have a total of 30 speed cameras!! not to mention the red light cameras.

You should try S.E. Queensland. One bridge alone has a row of these cameras, 4 for the up traffic and 4 for the down traffic.

Nearby is a new highway, with a sign saying "this highway paid for by your speeding fines".

The 'Nanny state' as you call it, was forced on all of us, because of the rising death toll, the speeders, the drinkers.

looking at one of those shops selling miniture cameras etc in MBK the other week I saw an interesting little chinese made piece of equipment that plugs into your lighter and sits on your dash.

They only wanted B3,000 for the latest model with older models selling for B2k. It's really good at locating 7-11's but also keeps warning me about other radar signals on the highway.wink.png

Yep: I do drive a pickup.

Not complaining either, just warning!

England is littered with cameras and as someone pointed out - you get points and a big fine.

I was done for doing 33mph through a 30mph zone (hardly speeding) and had 3 points. I was livid.

Yep: I do drive a pickup.

Not complaining either, just warning!

England is littered with cameras and as someone pointed out - you get points and a big fine.

I was done for doing 33mph through a 30mph zone (hardly speeding) and had 3 points. I was livid.

I thought the cut-off point was 10% + 3mph or something, e.g. 36mph - maybe they're stricter now.

I agree with the drunks and yoboos but to have speed cameras set to catch you doing 3%over the legal speed limit is just the government grapping money i just hope it does not come yo this in thailand .

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-27984-0-16926900-1376470529_thumb.j

Got done driving a hire car last month. 123 kph in a 90kph zone apparently. The pic doesn't show the car full of hotties I was taking with me thank goodness :-p

This was Km 96 on Highway 1, Tambon Huai Khamin, Amphur Nong Khae, Saraburi.

AVIS charged me 900 baht on my credit card a month after the car was returned. It took me two phone calls to get them to tell me why. Normally speeding fines are 400 baht, I asked them to explain why they charged me 900 baht as they have showed me no docket saying how much the fine is.