AIS Activation Topup Confusion

Bmouthboyo

Hi guys,

So the my wife buys an AIS sim for her phone the other day and we were a little confused how to activate it as the texts they sent were in Thai. We decided to head to the AIS store in Megabangna and a lady who worked there took us to the ATM style booth.

I thought that we could slap 300 baht on there and this would be credit to use and give us say 100 days service, then when we topup again in say a few weeks more balance is added and another 30 to 100 days is added depending on amount topped up.

Now what i dont understand is we said we want 300 baht credit and she then did literally topups, some were 20 baht, some 10, 30, 50 etc. I tried asking why she didnt just slap the 300 baht on and didnt really understand her response. Can anyone enlighten?

Cheers

With AIS now, top-ups of 10 - 150 baht yield 30 days validity while top-ups of 200 - 1500 baht yield validities of 60 days. Not sure if these are cumulative; they used to be but things are changing.

What is the reply to *121#? If it is ~ 12 August 2014 then clearly this lady was doing you a solid; twelve (12) smallish top-ups yielding 30 days per for ~360 days vs. a single 300 baht top-up for a validity of 60 days. If your validity is ~ 12 October 2013, then I'm not sure why she made so many smallish top-ups?

Edited by lomatopo

With AIS now, top-ups of 10 - 150 baht yield 30 days validity while top-ups of 200 - 1500 baht yield validities of 60 days. Not sure if these are cumulative; they used to be but things are changing.

What is the reply to *121#? If it is ~ 12 August 2014 then clearly this lady was doing you a solid; twelve (12) smallish top-ups yielding 30 days per for ~360 days vs. a single 300 baht top-up for a validity of 60 days. If your validity is ~ 12 October 2013, then I'm not sure why she made so many smallish top-ups?

"With AIS now, top-ups of 10 - 150 baht yield 30 days validity while top-ups of 200 - 1500 baht yield validities of 60 days. Not sure if these are cumulative; they used to be but things are changing."

It depends on which service you have with AIS. I add Baht 300 as needed, but my validity is always one year out from the most recent top up. When I first took up full-time residence I didn't make that many calls and had to keep adding money to stretch out the validity even when I still had an unused balance. Went to AIS in Bangkok and explained to the agent (who spoke fluent English) and she switched me to a service that gave me a year beyond each top-up regardless of the amount, but still required some minimal use. The per call rate is probably a bit higher, but I don't have to worry about how often I add money.

But, as you say, things are changing, so that service may no longer be an option for new users.

Edited by Suradit69

But, as you say, things are changing, so that service may no longer be an option for new users.

AIS/One-2-Call did have some accelerated/graduated top-up/validity tie-ins whereby each subsequent top-up's required value would decrease and the associated validity would increase, so that after ~ 15 or so top-ups, even a top-up of as little as 10 pushed your max. date to ~ 365 days. Also, people were topping up before their validity expired and thereby extending their validity date. Again, I think those days are gone. Most service providers here are migrating to 60 day max./rolling (based in usage) validity, or a usage requirement within each/any 45/60 day period to maintain what might be a 365 day expiration. As with all things, best to review the terms and conditions of your specific SIM/plan/promotion. Service providers here are pretty good re: honoring existing terms/plans etc.

I think DTAC still offers their validity buy-up program? http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/freeday.html