Money to Invest - Where to Start?

So my partner and I are thinking of doing some investing. Currently we just keep our money in the bank, which really isn't doing much at all for us.

We have 2-3 million to safely invest. What would be a relatively low risk investment strategy? We aren't looking for a quick buck, would be happy getting fair returns over several years. My partner was getting advice from some other Thais that you can turn over your money 10 times with certain big stocks that have a bit of risk. Not sure if I believe what they are saying or if it is just a bunch of Thai talk.

We're in no big hurry, want to do this right if we do. I suppose I should read a couple books, as I have no idea about investing. but would love to hear from the TV wealth of knowledge!

Cheers.

You're on the right track. Read the books and do your own web based research to gain some education about your choices and associated risks.

When you've gained the basic knowledge, you're in a better position to ask questions, listen to advice that will be a mixed bag, and make your own decisions.

In the meantime, I'm considering a startup company that needs a few million - tinned som-tam for all the Thai girls living in farangland. PM me for details and my bank account number so you can transfer the cash.

Seriously - gain some basic understanding of investment strategies is the best policy before you ask all us hacks on TV.

• Like 1

You're on the right track. Read the books and do your own web based research to gain some education about your choices and associated risks.

When you've gained the basic knowledge, you're in a better position to ask questions, listen to advice that will be a mixed bag, and make your own decisions.

In the meantime, I'm considering a startup company that needs a few million - tinned som-tam for all the Thai girls living in farangland. PM me for details and my bank account number so you can transfer the cash.

Seriously - gain some basic understanding of investment strategies is the best policy before you ask all us hacks on TV.

Wow, tinned som-tam! Now there's an investment possibility if I ever saw one!

I realize I have to do my own research, just wanted to hear from some here in general...thanks!

Wow, tinned som-tam! Now there's an investment possibility if I ever saw one!

I realize I have to do my own research, just wanted to hear from some here in general...thanks!

Unfortunately tinned som-tam doesn't pass the bio hazard standards in most western countries. Export potential is slim at best. whistling.gif

I taught myself stock trading analysis- how to spot 'blue chip' growth stocks and how to do technical analysis (the yellow 'Dummies guides' are actually good for this). I now have a list of these growth stocks in Thailand (think KBANK, ADVANC) and have been investing in these the last 4 years or so (using technical analysis to time my entry into the market).

I am also looking to put a chunk of my cash into Shell Oil and J & J stock in the US or UK and just leave it for 5-15 years i.e. putting it in dividend paying (@4%) blue chips.

Do not buy any investment products from people who send you private emails on Thaivisa- no decent investment company approaches potential clients in this way.

Edited by ExpatJ
  • Like 1

Thanks all for the tips. All very useful. Don't worry, I am very wary of anyone who has approached me before, I used to get calls all the time from investment managers, and even met with a couple, but always felt that they were out to rip me off.

I am such a newbie, just studied yesterday on the difference between stocks, bonds and mutual funds. That helped a lot.

Cheers

Ever considered speculative currency trading? With higher sums of starting capital, you could use smaller leverage and still make 10-20% month.

"...the 2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app (Galaxy Note 2).

I am in the same position as you, tominbkk.

some very useful books I bought (yeah, that's some sort of investment too - investment in your own knowledge) in KL recently:

"Get started in shares - Trading for the first time investor" (Glen C. Arnold)

"Shock markets - Trading lessons for volatile times" (Alexander Webb, Robert I. Webb) - thrilling to read, BTW !

"Value investing in growth companies - how to spot high growth businesses" (in Asia) - (Rusmin Ang, Victor Chng)

I saw on the kinukunyia Thailand page that those books are available in TH too.

Hi

Over the years I`ve invested a fair amount in shares, mostly UK based.

One area I am considering is SE Asia based REITs ( Real Estate Investment Trusts), partly as a currency hedge.

A REIT may own shops/ shopping centres/offices/warehouses etc, rents them out and after deducting expenses, pays out an income in the form of dividends.

There are REITs.based in several countries, I already hold some UK ones but there are Thai and, of more interest to me, Singapore based REITS.

I believe the average annual return on Sing based REITs is approx 5.5 % plus the potential for some capital growth, hopefully in line with inflation.

There is of course the risk of capital depreciation should property prices fall or if a particular REIT has many properties with void/empty periods.

Many other alternatives but just thought I`d mention an area I am looking in to.

If you google REITs and/or Singapore REITs you will find plenty of free info on line.

Still doing research myself but some things to look for would be the amount of debt the REIT has and also the spread of properties/tenants.

Not risk free but fairly low risk( and low reward) IMO.smile.png

Edited by seasia