Thailand Post Office calling 2 weeks after service asking for more money.

Bourne1974

I just had to share this as I'm dumfounded as to why it could happen.

2 weeks ago my gf and I went to the post office to send my stuff from Saraburi to Phuket. I used the Logis Post service. I had 4 big plastic boxes which I sent from my local post office in Keang Khoi and were priced at 240 baht per 20kgs. It came to 2080 baht. I had some bigger items which KK post office couldn't send and they kindly told me it would be cheaper to send them from Sarabari's main branch using one of their small cages. They said a fully loaded cage costs 1500 baht regardless of weight. So I got the gf to call their branch to double check the price to make sure and they quoted the same price. I half filled the cage and we went and paid 1500 baht and kept our receipts.

I must say the service was great. My gf got a call 3 days later from the nearest Phuket branch to my house saying my stuff had arrived. They said they would deliver it all to my house for an extra 1000 baht but i said no. I went to pick it up, handed my receipts over and collected it all. There was no damage only some small scrapes and cracks on the plastic boxes.

Now then here comes the fun part. The gf gets a call from a mobile number today (2 weeks later) and a lady without introduction told her that the post office had made a mistake with the price of the cage and that one of the items (an exercise bench) was too tall for the cage, so we need to pay about 2000 baht more. Firstly we were there when he filled the cage and there was about half a meter of space when he put it in.

She asked her when can she come to the Saraburi post office and pay the money at the counter. The gf kindly told her she couldn't as she is working and living in Phuket now. The girl started to get angry saying you need to come and pay. My gf put the phone down and the lady tried calling her back a few times.

This to me has scam written all over it. Why 2 weeks later do we get a call? Why did two post offices quote the price we paid? Why is this woman asking for more money based on a false reason?

When we collected the stuff nobody said anything and they kept the receipts.

What do you guys think and what would you do about it?

I'd hate to think people are getting ripped off from some sort of internal scam system or something. It doesn't add up at all to me.

I do recall reading about a similar scam somewhere but forget the details. I do know it involved sending something by post or it may have been import tax or something.

I remember it was the staff at the department (PO or Tax) that were doing a bit of freelance scamming on farang. They were eventually caught when somebody questioned one of their superiors. Sorry - vague on detail.

Anyway, you've got your gear so no worries. If it is a genuine undercharge then they'll persist. I'd make sure you deal with somebody higher than the person who called you if they do persist and try and get cash off you.

• Like 1

I think your gf already handled the situation quite well. She hung up - the end.

If you for some mysterious reason insist on finding out if it is a scam or not, simply ask your gf to call the manager at the postoffice. Perhaps provide the mobile number. If it is a scam and the manager is not in on it, then he will most likely recognise the number as being one of his staff.

• Like 1

I think your gf already handled the situation quite well. She hung up - the end.

If you for some mysterious reason insist on finding out if it is a scam or not, simply ask your gf to call the manager at the postoffice. Perhaps provide the mobile number. If it is a scam and the manager is not in on it, then he will most likely recognise the number as being one of his staff.

Thanks for your replies chaps.

I've told the gf that if she gets any calls today to just ignore them and if they persist this week, to ask the person for her full details and tell her we're going to take it up with customer care or someone in a higher position at the Saraburi branch.

Just out of interest we checked the mobile number this person was using on a website and it came up location Bangkok and not Saraburi. You would think if this was genuine they would use their landline at the Saraburi office and not some mobile in Bangkok!

I'll keep you posted. smile.png