Builders out there need help - Built in Oven Being Fitted

ToddWeston

In the middle of a renovation row & need some advice.

Purchased a built in oven and the instructions are in Thai no worries on that front - I think. I am being told the ovens are self heat venting out the front top, I can clearly see the holes and I'm being told there is no need to insulate the wall that has been purpose built to house said oven.

Am I living in the past ? I vaguely recall we had to build in a reflective type material so the wall(s) that house the oven wouldn't burn. If I'm wrong I'll fall on my sword, the next question is what type of reflective material would be best if any.

Ps I've looked online and and it's all noise for this novice.

Mods if there is a specific forum for Reno hacks please let me know where I should be posting - thanks

I build bespoke kitchens for a living, and I've installed loads of built-in ovens. The modern oven is pretty much a self-contained unit, and will usually incorporate a separate fan for drawing the air up the back of the oven and out through the vents at the top front of the unit. The only thing you need to take care about is that you have about 5 cm clearance at the back for airflow, and that you also have the possibility for air to be drawn in below the unit. If you are installing it as a below-worktop unit, it's a good idea to have a small grille in the kickboard below to allow air in, and also to ensure that the unit housing the oven is not hard up against the wall. I generally build my oven-housing units 5cm shallower than the other units, and I also (I like to err on the side of caution) usually drill several 25 - 30 mm holes in the floor of the unit. The ovens invariably have small feet at the four corners to raise then slightly from the floor of the housing unit, so if there are holes in the unit floor, the air will be drawn up through them. You don't need any reflective material or any other special treatment.

Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom. I appreciate your insight and yes I was wrong (old thinking).

Again thank you. Now how the hell do I admit they are correct :)

• Like 1

I can't see the oven of course, but there's a good chance that it has its own double wall in the back for airflow. That would simply be a piece of sheet metal on the back, standing off a little from the oven. There's also a good chance that it has vents at the bottom and at the top for intake and exhaust. The air would flow in at the bottom, up through the space in the back, and out the top front.

Take a good look at it. If the above is true, I'd still want a small gap between it and the wall, which is probably calculated into its depth, allowing for the plug etc.

• Like 1

I build bespoke kitchens for a living, and I've installed loads of built-in ovens. The modern oven is pretty much a self-contained unit, and will usually incorporate a separate fan for drawing the air up the back of the oven and out through the vents at the top front of the unit. The only thing you need to take care about is that you have about 5 cm clearance at the back for airflow, and that you also have the possibility for air to be drawn in below the unit. If you are installing it as a below-worktop unit, it's a good idea to have a small grille in the kickboard below to allow air in, and also to ensure that the unit housing the oven is not hard up against the wall. I generally build my oven-housing units 5cm shallower than the other units, and I also (I like to err on the side of caution) usually drill several 25 - 30 mm holes in the floor of the unit. The ovens invariably have small feet at the four corners to raise then slightly from the floor of the housing unit, so if there are holes in the unit floor, the air will be drawn up through them. You don't need any reflective material or any other special treatment.

Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom. I appreciate your insight and yes I was wrong (old thinking).

Again thank you. Now how the hell do I admit they are correct :)

You don't admit anything. Just say "mai bpen rai and up to you":-)

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I strongly recommend you get the make/model number and google that info plus the term: "installation instructions" so you can get a .pdf in English for your particular appliance. That doc will stipulate any minimum clearance to combustibles requirements on back & sides.