I'm trying to get Thai added to LingQ

kikenyoy

LingQ is a free site (also with various paid memberships) that currently supports about 10 languages including Chinese, Japanese, and Korean, but not Thai. For those who aren't familiar with it, here's a short demo:

The first step to getting Thai added is for it to get 1000 votes on this poll and then it will be added as a beta language:

https://www.facebook.com/questions/10150249705278786/

I don't know the owner or have any financial interest in the site. I just think it is a great tool for learning other foreign languages and I want to see Thai added.

• Like 1

Thanks for voting. I've made posts in a few other forums and contacted a few people about it. Brett from Learn Thai From a White Guy has pledged his support: he put a link on his facebook page and said we can use all of his videos/transcripts if we can get it going.

We were at 41 votes when I learned about it a few hours ago and we're up to 54 already. 1000 here we come!

Edited by kikenyoy

I voted too. This is a great tool; I'm currently using it to learn 4 other languages. I'd love to get Thai there. I copied and pasted your first post to the packman forum http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?44026-Trying-to-get-Thai-added-to-LingQ per our discussion, but haven't been able to get them to turn on the links yet. I pm'd their admin, but if anybody here is familiar with that forum, your help is appreciated.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Please help me understand about LingQ and how it would work for Thai. The introduction says that that the system does not want the learner to speak, just to acquire lots and lots of vocabulary. For Thai, which is not Roman-letter based, how does the learner acquire "words" without being able pronouncing them? I can see how this words for Spanish English or German. How does it work for Thai, Chinese, or Lao?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Please help me understand about LingQ and how it would work for Thai. The introduction says that that the system does not want the learner to speak, just to acquire lots and lots of vocabulary. For Thai, which is not Roman-letter based, how does the learner acquire "words" without being able pronouncing them? I can see how this words for Spanish English or German. How does it work for Thai, Chinese, or Lao?

Thanks for your thoughts.

The owner of the site, Steve Kaufman, believes that the way to learn languages is through massive input. Lots of reading and listening, and a small amount of grammar and vocabulary study. The great thing about LingQ is that you don't have to use it that way if you disagree with his methods. For me, I find that spending more time on each lesson, trying to learn the vocabulary and understand the grammar works better. Each lesson has audio so users will learn to pronounce the words through reading and listening to the lessons and then talking with a native speaker. Steve has said that LingQ might not be suitable for an absolute beginner and recommends going through a beginner program like Teach Yourself first to learn the alphabet and basic grammar.

• Like 1

This is a very useful learning tool I think.

Of course I voted for Thai.

Thanks for the post here, I had never heard of LingQ.

I will try it with Chinese as a test, and then wait for Thai.

This tool takes the best approach, which is to recognize the fact that vocabulary building should always be the learner's highest priority. There is nothing magic about this, but some "teachers" still do not recognize the relative importance of vocabulary, and then foolishly waste time trying to get students to speak even though they do not have enough vocabulary to say anything.

The priority should be on listening, listening, and vocab, vocab, vocab.

More teachers really should understand this.

So stop with the magic, the classroom "games", and follow more proven science based strategies, the science of linguistics, to assist with second language acquisition.

Edited by OldChinaHam
  • Like 1

The voting is done via Facebook (I couldn't find anywhere else to register a vote). A pain, I know. I refuse to join anything to vote or leave comments on a site, but I already belong to FB so no problem.

The only alternative I can think of is to ask someone to vote for you.

Thai has now reached 487 votes. Not too shabby but many more votes are needed!

While we are waiting on LingQ to add Thai, we are also working on a Thai parser to use with FLTR (similar to LingQ, but free). Volunteers are needed. You don't have to be a programmer. You only need to find Thai, run it through the parser, and then send the results to Rick. More about what's needed can be found here: Thai Text Reader - Parsing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...