Thailand Braces for Severe Summer Storms

webfact

n6.jpg.a709a57249d7c414e272aed258cb2f6a.jpg

File photo for reference only

Thailand's Meteorological Department (TMD) has warned of severe summer storms characterised by thunderstorms, strong winds, and potential hail, expected to batter several provinces starting today, May 7.

The alert urges residents to take precautions against the anticipated harsh weather conditions.

Currently, the upper regions of Thailand are experiencing extreme heat, which creates the perfect environment for storm development.

These storms could lead to heavy rainfall, high winds and possible hailstorms accompanied by lightning strikes.

Locals are advised to steer clear of open areas and unstable structures like large trees and billboards which can be easily destabilised by the storm. Farmers have also been cautioned as their crops and livestock could be at risk.

From May 8 to 10, continuing southerly winds are expected to cover the upper part of the country, thereby maintaining thunderstorm conditions.

Regions that could be affected today include northern, northeastern, central and eastern provinces. The list includes major cities such as Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Loei, Nong Khai, and Bangkok, among others.

Residents are advised to stay informed through the TMD website or its 24-hour hotline for further updates.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-07

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Massive lightening storm, then rain last night. Started at 6p.m. and went on through the night. Predictably the power went off at about 6.03 p.m. and did not come back until 7:15 this morning. I guess that will be the pattern for the next few weeks.

Unfortunately it's still dry as a bone and stinking hot here.

Nakhon Pathom  west of BKK

Big cool change today. 26°C at one point. I almost felt cold. Even though Thailand doesn't have a summer the BIG HOT of the hottest April leading into May ever, is finally over. Time for the humid days as we move towards the wet. Let's hope it's a good long one this year.

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Unfortunately it's still dry as a bone and stinking hot here.

Nakhon Pathom  west of BKK

I see Nakhon Pathom at 28°C at 4:00 pm. 

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

I see Nakhon Pathom at 28°C at 4:00 pm. 

5pm now it's 33C in my location Bo Phlap which has it's own monitoring station.

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

5pm now it's 33C in my location Bo Phlap which has it's own monitoring station.

Interesting. I'm 40 km from you and current temp where I am is 28 with full cloud. You are more inland than me so that probably accounts for it. It's been a lovely cool day where I am mainly hovering between 26-28. Just SW of BKK.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would  hesitate to assume too much so quickly.

The usual pattern at the start of the rain season , regardless of it coming early , late, or in accordance with legends, it almost invariably has a false start.

After a week or two with some promising rainfall there is usually a break of up to a month before rains come in earnest .

If this does occur but with a decrease in the constant high temperatures experienced so far this year I for one will have no objections !

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, 0ffshore360 said:

I would  hesitate to assume too much so quickly.

The usual pattern at the start of the rain season , regardless of it coming early , late, or in accordance with legends, it almost invariably has a false start.

After a week or two with some promising rainfall there is usually a break of up to a month before rains come in earnest .

If this does occur but with a decrease in the constant high temperatures experienced so far this year I for one will have no objections !

Quite right. Usually get some storms in May when so many start to say the wet season has started which as you correctly call as a false start. After this comes the build up to the true start of the wet. Humid and occassional storms until it breaks and the wet season truly arrives. Hoprfully a June/ July start this year. 

• Like 1

Absolutely chucked it down yesterday here in Kanchanaburi (most welcome). Temperatures have dropped, giving us respite from the constant 43-44 degrees we've had for the last few weeks which has been brutal !!

It's the hottest season I've known since living here. Plenty more rain forecast this week, bring it on!

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

No rain in central BKK this afternoon.

But shortly before 3 pm, the official temperature reading says a chilly [ 😝 ]  97F degrees...

Which, I'm not complaining about at this point, given that the typical afternoon readings in BKK in past weeks have been at 100F or above.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK