My Planned estimated monthly budget for Thailand

kscott

@ OP:

u will be fine. i'm living in thailand a great life with less than u but then i don't drink nor party nor have people to take care of/look after. and i don't do "girls" (nor boys, nor transsexuals). i'm not in CM but i'm not in some remote rural village either. my furnished 2-bedroom house (not condo), internet, water, electricity costs me +/- 7330/month. and that includes aircon which i don't run during the day though. best of luck!

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are not going to have a date with a Thai woman until you at least speak Thai. Age is way down the list of requirements. You have to get Thai Ized. You have a wife at home for land and business connections and children and a Mia Noi for dating. But the first step is to become fluent in The language. Age? Don't worry about it. If I had to put a number on it I would say age was about 22nd in importance. After, what kind of aftershave you wear and before what kind of socks you like.

I date 2-3 new Thai women every week and we converse in English as my Thai is quite basic. I go for students and university graduates mostly so majority can speak English.

I'll pass on the wife part though.

Age is definitely important. Old guys who have rented girlfriends and wives try to tell themselves differently I've noticed though.

If you date 2 or 3 new women every week sounds like you are coming up with a bunch or losers.

Ok, kif you are going to jusdge others then i think its appropriate that i pass comment on your situation aswell. You are in your 60's with a considerably younger gf whom you support financially for her studies, rent, family, travel, living expenses. You also say that she "found" you.

My conclusion? You are in a "relationship" with a girl that see's you as being somebody who will pay for her needs. She didnt find you, she targeted you and is happy to stay with you until a better situation or "target" present itself. harsh, but if you are going to judge people then i think its right if you are judged yourself. not nice is it?

• Like 1

I date 2-3 new Thai women every week and we converse in English as my Thai is quite basic. I go for students and university graduates mostly so majority can speak English.

Sure about this ?...as in my experience with Thai university students even those from the like to Chula, very few can even speak conversational English well enough to talk to a farang, futher than hello, how are you ?

pretty sure you are embellishing a few of the "facts" you are stating..as has been discussed at length on various threads on TV, on average, usually the best English conversational language skills in the the Thai population is found among the bar girls...thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

@ OP:

u will be fine. i'm living in thailand a great life with less than u but then i don't drink nor party nor have people to take care of/look after. and i don't do "girls" (nor boys, nor transsexuals). i'm not in CM but i'm not in some remote rural village either. my furnished 2-bedroom house (not condo), internet, water, electricity costs me +/- 7330/month. and that includes aircon which i don't run during the day though. best of luck!

Thanks bud, you sound like you have a really chilled lifestyle there, enjoy.

• Like 1

You are not going to have a date with a Thai woman until you at least speak Thai. Age is way down the list of requirements. You have to get Thai Ized. You have a wife at home for land and business connections and children and a Mia Noi for dating. But the first step is to become fluent in The language. Age? Don't worry about it. If I had to put a number on it I would say age was about 22nd in importance. After, what kind of aftershave you wear and before what kind of socks you like.

Age is definitely important. Old guys who have rented girlfriends and wives try to tell themselves differently I've noticed though.

If you date 2 or 3 new women every week sounds like you are coming up with a bunch or losers.

Ok, kif you are going to jusdge others then i think its appropriate that i pass comment on your situation aswell. You are in your 60's with a considerably younger gf whom you support financially for her studies, rent, family, travel, living expenses. You also say that she "found" you.

My conclusion? You are in a "relationship" with a girl that see's you as being somebody who will pay for her needs. She didnt find you, she targeted you and is happy to stay with you until a better situation or "target" present itself. harsh, but if you are going to judge people then i think its right if you are judged yourself. not nice is it?

My conclusion?: Go back to chemical engineering. You don't seem to know much about anything else.

JlCrab - Well thought out response. Well done. Perhaps you should refrain from criticizing others without knowing the facts. Particularly if you get upset so easily when others reciprocate.

People in glass houses and all that.

Apologies for the way i put my point across. Again, if your happy then who am i to judge. maybe just think on next time, now you know what its like to be criticized by a total stranger who is bereft of any actual facts.

Cheers

We all like different types of girls, thank god ! The spade ... likes girls 50kg or more , short with black skin. He does not speak Thai and believes ladies like cheap dinners and paying their own way. Nothing wrong with the type of ladies he likes if that's what he thinks he wants, to each his own. I just have to say that there are tons of that type out there. Now if he ever finds a real sweetheart at 44kg, light brown skin, so cute and sexy that every eye follows her, which I don't think they would be interested in him, he would stop looking. I think the truth is that he wants what some of us who are not cheap have but he will never get. Also, Youth is nice but some of you guys are just plain losers. Educated, lovely Thai ladies like good looking, professional men who can speak some Thai and carry themselves well. Age is a factor for some but only if the difference starts to get in the 25 to 30 year range.

We all like different types of girls, thank god ! The spade ... likes girls 50kg or more , short with black skin. He does not speak Thai and believes ladies like cheap dinners and paying their own way. Nothing wrong with the type of ladies he likes if that's what he thinks he wants, to each his own. I just have to say that there are tons of that type out there. Now if he ever finds a real sweetheart at 44kg, light brown skin, so cute and sexy that every eye follows her, which I don't think they would be interested in him, he would stop looking. I think the truth is that he wants what some of us who are not cheap have but he will never get. Also, Youth is nice but some of you guys are just plain losers. Educated, lovely Thai ladies like good looking, professional men who can speak some Thai and carry themselves well. Age is a factor for some but only if the difference starts to get in the 25 to 30 year range.

Too many presumptions here to be taken seriously for me.

I agree, everyone has personal preference but a handsome, educated, professional younger man will always have the edge over a similarly qualified older man with the best looking girls. thats just the way it is. hey, i'll be old too in the not so distant future. even now i wont go for a girl who isnt over 20 years old. At 34 i leave the teenagers to those in their early to mid 20's.

Life moves on, hey ho.

Edited by kscott
  • Like 1

JlCrab - Well thought out response. Well done. Perhaps you should refrain from criticizing others without knowing the facts. Particularly if you get upset so easily when others reciprocate.

People in glass houses and all that.

Apologies for the way i put my point across. Again, if your happy then who am i to judge. maybe just think on next time, now you know what its like to be criticized by a total stranger who is bereft of any actual facts.

Cheers

You joined ThaiVisa 3 days ago -- you don't have the slightest idea of the posting history of some of these guys who you seem to think are your comrades in arms. I have come on here in the last few months and posted about what might interest a girl maybe long-term and other than a one night stand with some farang -- I have been called stupid, an imbecile, a walking ATM machine, a washed up old farang who has to shell out money to get a girl's attention, a jaded fool, and more.

None of this takes into account how I spend my time in Thailand, what I do although I'll note that my first 3 extended trips to Thailand were with an NGO under Auspices of HM the King.

My glass house is actually bullet proof Plexiglas and I at least don't judge people by how many Thai girls they claim to have screwed over the course of the week. I just hate it when people are sloppy with numbers yourself included. I like to make people happy and on that score my place in Thailand is well secured.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

It may have been mentioned earlier but if you are paid in overseas monies you need to take into account currency fluctuations. Expats everywhere get into difficulties budgeting based on an exchange rate that later drops. In this case if the monies are paid in UK in sterling then it is possible that the exchange rate is changing for the better (at the moment) but I think you need to factor in a buffer. With savings, medical and other on top essentials I would guess 60k Bht/month would be comfortable for a young guy on his own. I hope you are strong willed, as if you are like me you quickly learn to spend to the level of your income. Also, I find every time I move to a new country I spend far more than I expect in the early stages. Then I slowly cut back on costs until I find I get bored and start spending again on entertainment, food, drinks etc.

As mentioned by other posts above - learn Thai ASAP. This will keep costs down and make the whole experience wore enjoyable.

Sure about this ?...as in my experience with Thai university students even those from the like to Chula, very few can even speak conversational English well enough to talk to a farang, futher than hello, how are you ?

pretty sure you are embellishing a few of the "facts" you are stating..as has been discussed at length on various threads on TV, on average, usually the best English conversational language skills in the the Thai population is found among the bar girls...thumbsup.gif

I don't know how many interactions did you have with uni students, but I work with a bunch of them and they speak quite a decent English and most dont even come from top unis. We also have a lot of students coming to do their internship and I am amazed how well most of them can speak English. Some have studied at international schools and speak much better English than I'll ever be able to speak lol

If you do a search on the ajarn forum. I know that you are not a teacher, but there was a guy that made a daily log living on 30k baht for 30 days. It showed very detailed account for what he spent money on and what he did during those days. It is a few years old but still worth the read.

It does seem that you are an alcoholic. Anyone that plans on spending more money on drinking than living is most likely an alcoholic.

the problem with any budget is that what you detail for a month is not what you will spend x12 for a year.

Your travel budget is a little low unless you really don't get out much or like to walk everywhere. 3k a month would be more accurate.

the OP will be fine on his budget, but needs to be cautious about being a drunkard. A lifestyle of exercise and health seems incongruous with so much drinking and partying. But I am a puritan so it is a little tough for me to comprehend spending that much energy and money on toxins but I don't judge and if that is what someone wants enjoy. Ill even hold your head up when you pass out in your own vomit.

It is safe to say you havnt met many, if any well educated thai then.

Too many presumptions here to be taken seriously for me.

I agree, everyone has personal preference but a handsome, educated, professional younger man will always have the edge over a similarly qualified older man with the best looking girls. thats just the way it is. hey, i'll be old too in the not so distant future. even now i wont go for a girl who isnt over 20 years old. At 34 i leave the teenagers to those in their early to mid 20's.

Life moves on, hey ho.

Yes, everything being equal youth will have the advantage. But normally age has some advantages that are not always visible. Experience, security, nest egg, etc are all attractive. Add to that the confidence that is shown in a real man. Few young men or boys can show same without appearing cocky, it just takes time. Too many factors involved when selecting a mate.

If you do a search on the ajarn forum. I know that you are not a teacher, but there was a guy that made a daily log living on 30k baht for 30 days. It showed very detailed account for what he spent money on and what he did during those days. It is a few years old but still worth the read.

It does seem that you are an alcoholic. Anyone that plans on spending more money on drinking than living is most likely an alcoholic.

the problem with any budget is that what you detail for a month is not what you will spend x12 for a year.

Your travel budget is a little low unless you really don't get out much or like to walk everywhere. 3k a month would be more accurate.

the OP will be fine on his budget, but needs to be cautious about being a drunkard. A lifestyle of exercise and health seems incongruous with so much drinking and partying. But I am a puritan so it is a little tough for me to comprehend spending that much energy and money on toxins but I don't judge and if that is what someone wants enjoy. Ill even hold your head up when you pass out in your own vomit.

As posted previously

" Firstly with regards to my food budget. i follow a diet over here which is a low carb low sugar diet. My typical day over here consists of an omelette for breakfast, home made mushroom and (any green veg) soup for lunch and chicken or fish with green vegetables for an evening meal. For snacks i have homemade fruit smoothies using low sugar fruits. Thats it, its boring but i'm not reallly a food person. i think i could adopt this eating plan in thailand without problem. It would be cheap and it is what i am used to here in the UK. I like to have a steak for lunch on a sunday but thats the only time the diet changes. I dont drink beer or cider or spirits with mixers like coke or other sugar mixers hence the reason i added soda to my budget. My tipple is whisky soda or vodka soda and the occasional gin and soda with a slice of lemon or lime.

I run approx 5 kms every morning and swim 1.6 kms 4 times a week(1.6kms is a mile here in UK). Obviously i can go running anywhere in Thailand but i will have to find a good pool in chiang mai. I also play 5-a-side twice a week here and would like to keep that going when i move over there. This was included in the initial budget but i dont have an idea about costs of those things so may be wide of the mark. I imagine they will be relatively cheap activities that would keep me busy for a lot of the time during the week as i will be working approx 5 hours a day.

Over here i work 5 hours per day monday to friday and 2 and a half hours on a saturday and sunday. My initial post was misleading so apologies for that, all i meant was to convey was my average daily pay for the month, it does not mean i work every day. I will continue to work the same hours as i do in the UK."

This is my lifestyle and i still drink when i want.

Thats it, its boring but i'm not reallly a food person.

This was my fav part of the post.

Rarely hear people say this nowadays, but im the same. Whatever. I just eat to live. Id prefer to be doing other stuff.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, everything being equal youth will have the advantage. But normally age has some advantages that are not always visible. Experience, security, nest egg, etc are all attractive. Add to that the confidence that is shown in a real man. Few young men or boys can show same without appearing cocky, it just takes time. Too many factors involved when selecting a mate.

Youth, looks and money will always trump wrinkles & money and I say that as a 46 year old so I'm hardly talking up my own shop here.

I'm just telling it like it is.

Cheers for the info, i think maybe some of you have missed the point. The budget was based on worst case scenario. In the UK now i'm making £75 a day and have been told that the work will remain available for the next few years. Even if it doesn't there are other clients out there. What i was essentially asking was, is the budget set out realistic? Obviously a lot of you think i might struggle on that which is fine, thats good to know and i will adjust the budget accordingly. Like mentioned, I have ample savings but i wouldnt want to dip into them if necessary as every 60 days i'll be flying to Phils for a week or two of very hard partying.

When i'm in Chiang Mai I will be concentrating on work and having a good blow out at the weekend, Thats enough for me as i'll be looking forward to a fortnight in Phils every couple of months.

Again, thanks for the input, i'm happy that 44,000 baht seems to be realistic if a bit tight, it assures me that what i will probably earn will be ample.

Cheers

stay at home in the uk you are a dreamer no chance

And for the girl of my dreams? well, there'll be a bit left in the pot for any of that carry on. I've still got a minimum of £206 left for anything like that.

£51.50 a week to woo the Lucky girl of your dreams.

Cheap Charliecheesy.gif

CCC

Not everyone has to buy women.

obviously CCC does and he pays way more than 51.50 UK pounds.. cheesy.gif

Raising a family costs us about £25,000 pa .

Keep hitting the cue ball, you might pot something soon.

CCC

pretty sure you are embellishing a few of the "facts" you are stating..as has been discussed at length on various threads on TV, on average, usually the best English conversational language skills in the the Thai population is found among the bar girls...thumbsup.gif width=25 alt=thumbsup.gif>

Very sure. It's kind of a prerequisite of going out on a date that they can speak English otherwise we wouldn't be able to communicate very much past some basic Thai.

You seem to know a lot about bar girls. I avoid them whenever possible so I wouldn't know if they all speak good English or not but what I do know is that the girls I meet are definitely not hookers.

No I don't like girls 50kg or more.

I said the type of most girls most farang get are considered not beautiful by Thai standards (brown skin, short etc) over weight by Thai standards (and used 50kg as an example of what is considered really fat in Thailand) or single mums.

I also said I didn't mind a girl being UP TO 50kgs max (depends on her height some look fine at 50kg and some look pudgy) and have no problem with dark skin (it's exotic to me) or short girls (though obviously not midgets) as I'm not exactly a basketball player myself though I also like the tall and pale skinned ones. I also like girls who are not Thai and have had the pleasure of being with many girls from around the world.

Good looking girls come in many forms.

Let's not pretend you date an abundance of Thai girls that all the Thai guys drool over. If they are looking at you chances are it's because they can't believe you'd be seen n public with something so ugly and are laughing at you.

I don't know how many interactions did you have with uni students, but I work with a bunch of them and they speak quite a decent English and most dont even come from top unis. We also have a lot of students coming to do their internship and I am amazed how well most of them can speak English. Some have studied at international schools and speak much better English than I'll ever be able to speak lol

I haven't met any uni students or uni graduates who can't hold a conversation in English as of yet. I'm sure they exist but most I meet I can have a proper conversation with them no problem.

Which are you...

1) A whore monger?

OR

2) Someone who rents his 'girlfriend'?

You have to be one or the other if you're claiming that a single man who doesn't plan to pick up bar girls or pay his girlfriend a monthly wage to stay with him can't live in Thailand off 45,000B per month and have a good life here.

Edited by TheSpade
  • Like 1

Cheers for the info, i think maybe some of you have missed the point. The budget was based on worst case scenario. In the UK now i'm making £75 a day and have been told that the work will remain available for the next few years. Even if it doesn't there are other clients out there. What i was essentially asking was, is the budget set out realistic? Obviously a lot of you think i might struggle on that which is fine, thats good to know and i will adjust the budget accordingly. Like mentioned, I have ample savings but i wouldnt want to dip into them if necessary as every 60 days i'll be flying to Phils for a week or two of very hard partying.

When i'm in Chiang Mai I will be concentrating on work and having a good blow out at the weekend, Thats enough for me as i'll be looking forward to a fortnight in Phils every couple of months.

Again, thanks for the input, i'm happy that 44,000 baht seems to be realistic if a bit tight, it assures me that what i will probably earn will be ample.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice, flight and accommodation cancelled. Cheers, wow that was a lucky escape.

I'm a dreamer? I think you should also have a look at my revised budget on page 7 you muppet!!

:-)

• Like 1

Hello

there are several things to concider which i NOT see in your budget:

- First of all , you mentioned that you are continuing your work as a writer , this defenitly needs a workpermit !

Sure, thailand isnt pro-active in seraching for this types of 'hidden' work , but one guy speaking bad about uyou can be enough to get a searchwarrant ) IN ALL EVENTS - KEEP QUIET ON WHAT YOU DO - EVEN YOUR BEST FRIENDS

- as i understand , you are planning to go in-out to remain your visa 90 days .... BUT

90 days is only given when enetering by AIRPLANE for tourist visa ( the one you will start with ) , doing by land they will only grant 7 days

90 days means 90 days ( is not 3 months - 30+31+30 ! ) and you can use this tourist entry only 3 times a year ( is not 9 months ) AVOID OVERSTAY - EVEN ONE DAY

so what are you planning to do the other 3 months ? continue paying for your condo to not loose the rent ?

Please be advised verry well on this visa issue !

working in Thailand without a valid workpermit ( and when caught ) is pain in the ass, deportation and a Blacklist.

- Rent a condo for 250 ? seems a bit low as you want to be in center - 300-350 would be ok if you want i little bit of luxury ... unless you want to spend your days and nights in a ROOM with a fan. I guess you need some deascent internet as well ?

- you want to find a girl out of the bar scene ? sure , good luck , you young and attractive ... THATSWHY

she will demand from you to take care her as well . ( she will try the family thing as well )

she will demand more luxe then your FAN-room .. of course her room has airco , why downgrade ??

- Going out every 2 days , a draft beer : 50 baht/piece , some pool 20 baht/game ..

- Going out wild : transport ( as you do not want to get caught drunk or having accidents ... )

And what about the weekends ? guess you are still adventure minded ? sight seeing , LIVING ??

In my opinion, 50.000 THB will get you very far and relaxed , but no holiday feelings included...

The main thing is : DO NOT BRAKE ANY LAWS and STAY AWAY FROM ALL THE REST

Rent a condo for 250 ? seems a bit low as you want to be in center - 300-350 would be ok if you want i little bit of luxury ... unless you want to spend your days and nights in a ROOM with a fan. I guess you need some deascent internet as well ?

- you want to find a girl out of the bar scene ? sure , good luck , you young and attractive ... THATSWHY

she will demand from you to take care her as well . ( she will try the family thing as well )

she will demand more luxe then your FAN-room .. of course her room has airco , why downgrade ??

His accommodation budget will get him a nice enough apartment or condo with aircon in the centre of CM.

Sorry but I've dated tons of Thai girls and never, ever, been expected to take care of the family or asked for money for anything. Many I've known for over 2 years now and even when I've not been in Thailand have kept in touch with and there was never any sob stories or attempted scams.

If you hang out with certain types of girls, are over 40 and / or give out that provider vibe then sure maybe that's what happens but otherwise it's just not an issue.

Thai girls that have an education and real job who are dating guys their own age know that you're not going to be giving them cash or sending money to their families.

• Like 1

welcome to thaivisa, the home of bitter old farts who wanna piss all over anyone with the sense to come here when they are young enough to enjoy the place. They tell everyone oh you cant live in thailand for less than a million baht a month blah blah blah, total crock of shit, your young so you wont have to pay for women and their families like they do so. After six months in south east asia you may be 'burned out' then decide to go home or go elsewhere. Im 27 and just got home after 6 months in chiangmai, loved every minute of it. Have fun and good luck, don't let the 'deferred gratification' generation and the people who live their lives in a perpetual state of fear get you down, they are just jealous smile.png

You tell them Capt Ron. Nothing like words of wisdom about the ways of life from a 27 year old. Hell, I've got underwear older than you. facepalm.gif

• Like 1

i hope my post didn't come across as too rude to you older chaps, i understand that as an older guy 'looking after' a wife or long term girlfriend may be part and parcel of the relationship. I didn't mean to suggest you don't love her or that she doesn't love you but the fact is if the money runs out and shows no sign of coming back she will leave you - countless horror stories abound of old farangs who dropped their retirement money on a house blew the rest and the wife kicked them out when the funds stopped flowing. A younger guy doesn't have to budget for ongoing assistance to a partner or her family he can get a girl who will pay some of her own way and has the option to pick and choose until he finds one that will, once costs for wife/girlfriend and her family are removed i am simply at a loss as to how people spend the sums they claim to. In my experience people that claim big expenses generally are paying very high prices for their condos unawares that places down the street are half the price for the same quality, the eat in 'high class' thai restaurants where the bill is quadrupled but the food is no better than the 30-40baht neighborhood restaurant. If the op wants to stay in chiangmai he can get a room at green hill place for under 10k a month, 1k a month for use of the awesome pool, 4 for elec and water, internet and wifi free,( purchases a bike for 25k and the only cost for transport then is fuel), that still leaves him 30 k a month.

How do people spend one thousand baht a day every day?

or the people who say they could scrimp by on 60k a month, if you spend 15k on rent and utilities, you are still left 1500 baht a day - where does it all go?, perhaps some of you chaps are paying double the going rate for bar girls, are you really getting more joy or just spending more because you think it will make you feel better, are you really getting value for the inflated amount you spend, do you spend that much just to feel that your somehow more 'successful' more hi-so than penny pinchers like me smile.png

I eagerly await the howling screams of 'cheap charlie' from the old timers smile.png

Edited by willfreeman
  • Like 2