Immigration Checks in Rawai Sai Yuan Residential Housing

McFarang

I just read on Phuket Wan that three over stayers were arrested at the PTT gas station on Chao Fa West in Chalong at 10 AM this morning. Maybe time to carry my passport around.

Is there any reason why they can't check your visa status from you passport number that is on your driving/riding licence, via the radio?

Losing you passport, or having it stolen or damaged, would be a real pain.

Since these arrests were today, Saturday and the immigration office isn't open, I'm not sure how they would check by radio. But I suppose it's possible.

I also wonder if anyone was asked for money for not producing their passport.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read on Phuket Wan that three over stayers were arrested at the PTT gas station on Chao Fa West in Chalong at 10 AM this morning. Maybe time to carry my passport around.

Crazy and very sad.

For the first time, I'm carrying a photo-copy of my passport, TM stamp and card.

I would never carry my passport around with me. To lose it would be a massive pain-in-the-arse, not to mention, a loss of income.

If I get stopped and the photo-copy is refused, then a quick call to the missus to bring the original, is a much better option.

Edited by KarenBravo

Crazy and very sad.

For the first time, I'm carrying a photo-copy of my passport, TM stamp and card.

I would never carry my passport around with me. To lose it would be a massive pain-in-the-arse, not to mention, a loss of income.

If I get stopped and the photo-copy is refused, then a quick call to the missus to bring the original, is a much better option.

I am never without my passport, it's what you should do so that is what I have always done!!

Crazy and very sad.

Unfortunately my wife is visiting her family for several days, so I don't have that option. I did damage my old passport by washing it twice! Never lost one though! I'll just have to be extra careful with my new one that I never carried around here before. In the US this whole thing would be called racial profiling and illegal. But I'm not in Kansas anymore as Dorothy said...

Crazy and very sad.

Unfortunately my wife is visiting her family for several days, so I don't have that option. I did damage my old passport by washing it twice! Never lost one though! I'll just have to be extra careful with my new one that I never carried around here before. In the US this whole thing would be called racial profiling and illegal. But I'm not in Kansas anymore as Dorothy said...

Are we being overpoliced here on Phuket, compared to other places in Thailand?

At the service station, how do they pick an expat from a tourist? Maybe the rental bikes with the signs on them, but not all rental bikes have signage.

Their selection process must be a little age based, looking for older retirees.

Edited by NamKangMan

Crazy and very sad.

Are we being overpoliced here on Phuket, compared to other places in Thailand?

At the service station, how do they pick an expat from a tourist? Maybe the rental bikes with the signs on them, but not all rental bikes have signage.

Their selection process must be a little age based, looking for older retirees.

Yes, I would say so compared to other provinces. But yet nothing has been done to address the real problems here that all the ambassadors and local consulates say are the real problem. It's once again been deflected onto us "aliens."

Is there any reason why they can't check your visa status from you passport number that is on your driving/riding licence, via the radio?

For you there would be for sure, since your DL has the number of your old passport on it. At least, I do remember you asking that question some time ago.

For you there would be for sure, since your DL has the number of your old passport on it. At least, I do remember you asking that question some time ago.

Yes, that is correct stevenl. My compliments on your memory. I was thinking more into the future if this is going to be at regular checkpoints, crackdowns, house to house etc etc. I will go asnd get another licence.

I seriously don't fancy carrying my passport around with me everywhere.

I’ve been through more active checkpoints in the past 3 weeks, than in the past 3 years. I have been waved through every time. However, I just put a fresh color copy of all the important passport stuff in the car and motorbike. No way, I’m carrying my passport around.

Have to say I carry my DL, passport, and WP all the time I am out and about. Started doing this about a year ago.

If it's going to get serious, maybe it's time the Thai Government consider issuing ID cards to foreigners, when they renew their retirement visa, for a fee, of course. :)

I'm sure it will make a few more baht for them and save foreigners having to carry their passport around.

Just a thought.

Have to say I carry my DL, passport, and WP all the time I am out and about. Started doing this about a year ago.

If it's going to get serious, maybe it's time the Thai Government consider issuing ID cards to foreigners, when they renew their retirement visa, for a fee, of course. smile.png

I'm sure it will make a few more baht for them and save foreigners having to carry their passport around.

Just a thought.

It's all supposed to be so tourist feel more secure, according to the local government BS. It surely doesn't make me feel more secure. That would take actual police patrols and real enforcement of the laws, not just against us farang where they can collect the biggest fines. Until I see some big money Thai government official arrested and actually prosecuted, then I just think it's more smoke and mirrors as usual. We all know the biggest problem and most corrupt people here are the BIB and other government officials. Yet they're all patting each other on the back with their arrests of overstayers!

• Like 2

Wow it seems there are many scared people here!!

And rightly so. I've had a Thai woman (not bar, so could be anyone) tell me that's exactly what she would do for some revenge on some guy who dissed her. Together with a recent planting by a couple of BiB on two young tourist guys on the now notorious Chalong Bay road.

As to myself, I just tell them to bugger off.

If you have nothing to hide why would you tell them to bugger off? You are now a target good luck you wont be here long and I think thats maybe a good thing. Good Riddance! Edited by McFarang

Crazy and very sad.

I am never without my passport, it's what you should do so that is what I have always done!!

NO WAY....I am with KB on this one....

Never carry original passport around town.

You take your passport with you to the beach to the bar out for a run,?? just asking for trouble damage or lost passport to risky....

A photo copy of passport picture page and TM arivial card stuffed under the motorbike seat is all you need ....

Crazy and very sad.

You take your passport with you to the beach to the bar out for a run,?? just asking for trouble damage or lost passport to risky....

A photo copy of passport picture page and TM arivial card stuffed under the motorbike seat is all you need ....

Exactly what I have started doing since this latest cr$p started. Never been stopped yet though.

Crazy and very sad.

My passport has never left me and it is always with me!

I have never carried my passport.

My Thai drivers licence has the passport number on it along with photo.

The amount of copies I've made at immigration for residence certificates, I'm sure if they weren't lazy they could dig through their filing cabinets instead of harrassing people like criminals.