Job application process for foreigner

Hello All,

I have been applying for jobs in Thailand prior to my departure there. One of the employers responded but wanted a copy of my passport first before doing an interview. Should I be concerned with this?

What is a typical procedure for this process?

Thanks!

Based on your monikor...assuming your female ?....one suspects who ever is interviewing you wants to see if your good looking or not ..

you may think I am joking, but appearances in Thailand are important and supplying photo's with a CV are common and required practice in a lot of cases, I have even seen job ads in Thailand which specifiy "physical" attributes.

but is to supply a copy of your PP details to an employer prior to interview a standard practice ?.....no its not....you would only supply this once you have the job and the company is putting the paper work together for your visa.

Should you be concerned ?.....probably not...just some little man wanting to have a "perv"

If you have never worked internationally before, just a tip....do not supply copies of your passport or other important doc's to people you dont know, whether on email or by hand on a speculation basis

• Like 1

Thank you for your honesty. I was thinking the same thing. I do understand the "physical" curiosity in Thailand. I am a bit lucky because I am half US, half Asian, so I normally fit the attributes they are looking for.

Nonetheless, I will certainly be careful and cautious when someone is asking for documents of that sort so early in the process.

Cheers-

M

Don't have any experience for hiring foreigners.

But when hiring Thais they are always required to bring their government ID to be copied/submitted with their job application. So I don't see why it would be any different for a foreigner (passport as a substitute for government ID). This simply shows that you are who you say you are, and that you are serious about gaining employment.

Honestly most of what Soulpeel said sounds like BS to me "some perv" wants to get off to passport photos? Get real.

Note that the copy should be black/white only and you should draw a line across it sign you name, date, and the reason that the copy was made. They should not be making scans or color copies.

Edited by pancakeman
  • Like 1

Don't have any experience for hiring foreigners.

But when hiring Thais they are always required to bring their government ID to be copied/submitted with their job application. So I don't see why it would be any different for a foreigner (passport as a substitute for government ID). This simply shows that you are who you say you are, and that you are serious about gaining employment.

Honestly most of what Soulpeel said sounds like BS to me "some perv" wants to get off to passport photos? Get real.

Note that the copy should be black/white only and you should draw a line across it sign you name, date, and the reason that the copy was made. They should not be making scans or color copies.

As someone who is involved with hiring foreigners in Thailand, all that is typically required for an inteview is a CV/resume, and as stated if someone gets the job, passport copy is then supplied for the visa paper work

Who said "some perv" and wanting to get off on a passport photo ?...go back and read what I wrote...having a "perv" is a collequial British term, ie your walking down the steet and see a good looking lady and you turn an look at her because of her good looks is can be termed "having a perv"

it doesnt mean while looking at said good looking lady on the street you open your fly and get your gentleman bits out and start pleasuring yourself on the street...

why are you signing/dating/ anything.anyway....one suspects your more used to dealing with Thai goverment departments..ie immigration etc who have a fasination with signing photocopies of things....

Thank you both. What I can do is provide a CV and link to my LinkedIn profile (which also has a photo) and then circle back with the employer for more info. At this point no expectations or information has been given save the job posting, which only consisted of- "female English speaker urgently needed"- there has been no elaboration on what job duties would be as of yet.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply to my post.

:)

M

• Like 1

Who said "some perv" and wanting to get off on a passport photo ?...go back and read what I wrote...having a "perv" is a collequial British term, ie your walking down the steet and see a good looking lady and you turn an look at her because of her good looks is can be termed "having a perv"

You might want to rethink your choice of words, as the term 'perv' has a completely different (and not good) meaning in the US and probably other countries. Using colloquialisms is never advised outside your own country.

As for signing documents, no it is NOT just Thai government/immigration.

You might want to rethink your choice of words, as the term 'perv' has a completely different (and not good) meaning in the US and probably other countries. Using colloquialisms is never advised outside your own country.

The strange thing is..I think the OP understood what I was saying and it appears she is from the US....thumbsup.gif

and why should I stop using colloquailsms...takes all the fun out of the English languge...not my problem that the poster who called BS has a dirty mind..tongue.png

Its either to check that you are from a native English speaking country (if you're applying for an English teaching job) or to view your appearance, which,sadly, is important here. But i think it's probably more important for male teachers. Female teachers are preferred here (regardless of what they look like) because, strangely enough, most expat teachers here are male.

So if you are applying for a teaching job, they probably just want proof of your native language, not to judge your looks. (i expect they are just happy to have a female teacher)

If you're not applying for a teaching job then i can't think of any reason why they would want that.

LOL -- "having a perv" means nothing more that turning one's head to get a second look at an attractive person. Really? Then I think the Brits should reconsider some of their colloquialisms. That meaning certainly isn't apparent by its use and sounds quite sleazy.

As for the original question about the passport page, I've lived and worked here in Thailand for quite a while, and it's true that physical appearances are extremely important to Thais. It's a superficial culture where not much goes deeper than the skin. I was never asked for a passport until the visa/work permit process began, but I met my potential employer face to face before a job was even discussed -- it was after learning about my qualifications and experience that I was offered my job. I guess if I were in your situation, I'd probably contact my passport office to see what they say. I can't really see what harm someone would do with an image of your passport, but they'll know best. (After all, places like banks and hotels have many copies of the first page of people's passports that are collected for legitimate reasons.)

• Like 1

"Female English speaker urgently required" sounds to me like they're looking for an English teacher for very young learners (as females are vastly preferred in these situations). I have friends who have been involved in teaching for ages in Thailand, and they often discuss the job market/employers. If my memory serves me, these jobs with kindergarten-aged children are often quite low paying, so do a bit of research before accepting any teaching job. My friends seem to think that a site called "ajarn.com" is a good one for teachers who are looking for work -- seems to be lots of real info and many jobs posted (for comparison if nothing else). Maybe somebody with lots of teaching experience here can confirm what I've said here.

• Like 1