A good report card for Phuket’s jet-ski operators

webfact

“In half an hour a jet-ski uses 12 to 13 litres of gasoline. If you cost it at B40 per litre, that’s B480 excluding additives. Those cost another B100 or so for half an hour. So that’s B580. Then you have to pay staff wages – that’s about B200-B300 per trip, depending on the location.”

I just checked a top-end jet ski, and it had a 1.5 liter engine -- about the same as an economy car. Unless the nature of how JetSkis work is vastly different from cars that's absurdly bad fuel economy. Can you imagine driving an economy car and sucking up 13 liters of gas in half an hour? Would you keep or drive a car like that? -- not likely. Oh ya, and let's not forget that each half hour of running a JetSki requires an additional 100 worth of "additives". If all this is true, these things should be outlawed because they are likely some of the most environmentally unfriendly contraptions in the world. Anybody who is concerned about the health of the planet should never ride one of these horrible little annoyances.

It's also interesting that these guys get paid so much. This guy talks about wages of 200-300 baht per trip and ties it into the 1/2 hour ride scenario, which could give us the impression that these guys are paying staff about 4000-6000 per 10-hour day. I really doubt that (without the extortion trick of swindling people out of money for false (or exaggerated) repairs).

So, the bottom line for me is that I have new reasons not to rent a JetSki -- terrible for the environment and I'm helping to grossly overpay somebody. Of course, the "facts" presented could also be highly exaggerated or simply lies, which would also prevent me from trusting these guys enough to rent one. Personally, I don't believe the costs this guy is quoting.

Well you have put together a good argument on over charging for the use of jet ski's.

How ever I believe a one and a half litter pushing a vehicle with the only friction being 4 rubber tires would use a lot less fuel than the same engine push a boat with a lot more resistance.

Also you have based your conclusion based on the premise that they got the machines for free and their is no upkeep on them. Also that they are going non stop.

I was more concerned about the lack of patrolling the rip offs people pay for fake damage. If indeed it is as bad as Thai Vista would have us believe.

At best, after all their years of criminal activities,it's merely paying off the Jet Ski Operators, with high hire charges to bribe them to mend their ways.

If that that doesn't please them? then it's a case of "One swallow don't make a summer, and back to business as usual" So lets put the Good Report Card on Ice,for the moment,until the sinners have proven that they have reformed????

What a bunch of nonsense. The great majority of what this ass clown is saying is a bunch of lies. Is anybody here actually buying this nonsense?

These officials issue their BS press releases with the belief tourists are like Thai's from Issan, and just accept what he says is true.

The power of the internet, media and word of mouth discredits EVERYTHING he says. They obviously underestimate how these forms of communication can desseminate negative incidents on Phuket, globally, and in rapid time.

Their old ways of of releasing a BS press release stating everything is fixed, or safe, or clean etc is simply not working anyone.

I think the higher spending western market would want to see real change here before they start returning to Phuket.

So, all the talk, with no action, will not change a thing here, anymore.

As I say, these guys keep fiddling whilst Phuket burns. (Nero fiddled with Rome burns)

Not too mention the chaos these idiots create getting these jet'skis off the beach - you know with the illegal 3 wheeled motorcycles, illegally towing an unsafe load! Whilst the speed boats are pulled onto the beach illegally, by non registered off road 4x4's.

Whenever my guests ask about the jet skis, I tell them to google the JJ youtube video & then let them make their own decision.

Edited by eezergood

What a bunch of nonsense. The great majority of what this ass clown is saying is a bunch of lies. Is anybody here actually buying this nonsense?

These officials issue their BS press releases with the belief tourists are like Thai's from Issan, and just accept what he says is true.

The power of the internet, media and word of mouth discredits EVERYTHING he says. They obviously underestimate how these forms of communication can desseminate negative incidents on Phuket, globally, and in rapid time.

Their old ways of of releasing a BS press release stating everything is fixed, or safe, or clean etc is simply not working anyone.

I think the higher spending western market would want to see real change here before they start returning to Phuket.

So, all the talk, with no action, will not change a thing here, anymore.

As I say, these guys keep fiddling whilst Phuket burns. (Nero fiddled with Rome burns)

You're right. Slow learners. But I don't actually think their sinecures depend much on ability, awareness, or success. This is why Thailand can't really play with the big boys.

This all smacks of a media advertisement for the corrupt mafia club. Having dismissed most of what is written as total BS, I did have cause to pause and reflect that I have not heard so many reports of problems with the jet ski lot of late.

Have things got better or are the media under pressure not to report issues given the international attention the subject was formerly generating?

• Like 1