Same same, but different: Second crane collapses in Patong

webfact

Same same, but different: Second crane collapses in Patong
Phuket Gazette

cr.jpg
No injuries have been reported in the accident. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- For the second time in just over a month, a crane being used to install water pipes on Phang Muang Sai Kor Road in Patong toppled over yesterday afternoon, landing this time on a garden wall.

No injuries were reported.

The accident occurred at about 4:30pm near Patong Hospital.

The crane operator, Phol Phongsaen, 32, said the crane fell because the soil under the vehicle was too soft.

A similar cause was given for the accident on July 31.

Mr Phol, who did not flee the scene, told the Phuket Gazette, “I had set two of the support arms for the crane and was about to lift a cement pipe. Then the arms sank into the ground, causing the crane to fall onto the wall.

“The soil was too soft, that’s why the crane lost control,” he said.

The crane is owned by the Siam Pan Wattana Public Co Ltd, said Patong Police Superintendent Chiraphat Pochanaphan.

The same company owned the crane – a different one – that collapsed on July 31.

The cost of damage from yesterday’s accident has yet to be estimated.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Same-same-but-different-Second-crane-collapses-in-Patong-22032.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-08-22

Jasus, it's right next to water !! Common sense would tell a crane operator that the ground would be soft !!!

totster smile.png

Judging by the number of your posts looks like you have been around a long time yet you seem shocked by the lack of common sense. However, I too continue to be amazed on occasion by some of the things which go on here especially the creative ways used in corruption.

I tried to get a truck of soil delivered, he checked if the ground was ok with a metal rod, he said, OK, backed in and sunk in my yard, needed a tractor to come and pull him out, left two 5 meter long 50cm deep tyre tracks which are now full of water,same same but different...

Mobile cranes can and do tip over all over the world,but if all precautions and correct operating proceedures are taken, the chances are reduced considerably..mechanical failure can happen regardless, but these two recent cases are just sheer incompetence..

The operator is in charge of the crane, it is part of his job firstly to check the ground under the outriggers to see if it is solid [a steel rod can be used as a tester]and as this was so near the water it should have been very obvious that the ground was not solid.

Depending on the weight of the load etc,etc, in these conditions he can place large thick steel mats over the area to spread the load on the outrigger bases which are quite small and successfully do the job.

I have never seen any more than a couple of pieces of timber used here and even saw one last week perched up on a couple of piles of sand about 30cm high..<deleted>?????

I guess this will keep on happening on this job until there are fatalities, and even then not much will change..its so basic a proceedure to work safe, but TIT...

Edited by andreandre

“The soil was too soft, that’s why the crane lost control,” he said. rolleyes.gif Typical clap2.gif

The ground did not lose control "the idiot operating the crane was incompetent"

The crane didn't 'collapse' it overturned. (because the operator was incompetent)

These clowns couldn't 'operate' a wheelbarrow safely.