Saraburi: Syringes may have been reused on 3,700 students

webfact

Syringes may have been reused on 3,700 students
by Coconuts Bangkok

blood-test.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) is looking into whether a private company tasked with performing the annual health checkup of 3,700 students in Saraburi province reused syringes.

The province's Internal Security Operations Command said the company may have also provided questionable results. Near-sighted students were recorded to be far-sighted, and all of the eight graders happened to share the same A blood type.

The DSI said that aside form the Saraburi Wittayakom School, the company was also responsible for the checkup at Saohai Wimol Witthayanukul School where 2,800 students received a low-standard health examination. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/08/22/syringes-may-have-been-reused-3700-students

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-08-22

Future news.

Public Health Minister Witthaya Buranasiri expressed surprise today on the rampant influx of HIV cases amongst young students in Saraburi.

He did say, however, that on a positive note, somehow everyone in that province now all have the same blood type thus easing critical blood shortages for trauma cases.

Edited by johnnie20110

If this is true it's a horror story but as usual where will it go ?

Well if it is true, it should .....go to jail, go directly to jail ,do not pass go, do not collect $200!

Is it just me or is the main story page now unavailable? Probably nothing I know but with recent events concerning the internet it makes one automatically suspicious.

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 1

I believe they are talking about syringes, not needles. Re-use of syringes might contaminate the results, but should not be a source of infection or at least not as dangerous as re-using needles.

We do have some posters with medical backgrounds and they may be able to shed some light on the topic.

• Like 1

I believe they are talking about syringes, not needles. Re-use of syringes might contaminate the results, but should not be a source of infection or at least not as dangerous as re-using needles.

We do have some posters with medical backgrounds and they may be able to shed some light on the topic.

http://www.nso.com/pdfs/db/NSO_Special_Edition_Risk_Advisor_Syringe_Reuse_webready.pdf?fileName=NSO_Special_Edition_Risk_Advisor_Syringe_Reuse_webready.pdf&folder=pdfs/db&isLiveStr=Y

not according to this

'Bogus' School Health Check-Up Prompts Fear Of Infection
By Khaosod Online

BANGKOK: -- The Division of Special Investigation (DSI) is launching an inquiry into a private medical firm that allegedly provides unsanitary health check-ups to school students, namely conducting blood test by using the same syringe.

Mr. Tharit Pengdit, chief of the DSI, said he had received many complaints about one such "bogus" check-up at Saraburi Wittayakhom School in Saraburi Province, where the firm reportedly employed uncertified personnel and used unclean medical tools throughout the check-up.

In the blood tests at that school, he said, many students and their parents had witnessed the medical team reusing the same syringe several times, prompting concerns that the practice would lead to infection of blood-borne diseases, particularly HIV, Hepatitis B, and Hepatitis C.

Many also complained to him that they received inaccurate eye-test results, while some said they had been identified as having Type A blood even though they belong to different blood types, Mr. Tharit added.

According to the DSI Chief, the firm has been contracted to perform annual health checks for over 80 educational institutions and business organisations across the country. Mr. Tharit estimated that nearly 80,000 people had undergone annual health checks with the company.

The name of the company is not identified by the DSI.

Full story: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM056RTFPVEF3TUE9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-08-22

If they have cross infected people, should be corporate manslaughter.

Why are they giving compulsory blood tests to anyone? I would tell them to stuff off....

I guess there are backhanders or other basic forms of corruption driven by greed, the education system is full of it.

'Bogus' School Health Check-Up Prompts Fear Of Infection

By Khaosod Online

BANGKOK: -- The Division of Special Investigation (DSI) is launching an inquiry into a private medical firm that allegedly provides unsanitary health check-ups to school students, namely conducting blood test by using the same syringe.

Means, issue an arrest warrant on the nasty, nasty doctors, pretty, pretty please surrender yourselves, and if you are not nice nice to come along, we will just forget about you, and the Thai public forgets and forgives as well... smiley smiley thank you, case mfr_closed1.gif have a nice day... sponsored by DSI neus.gifneus.gifneus.gif

• Like 1

Shown in the photo is the "vacutainer system" uses a hollow needle and a vacuum glass test tube with rubber end is pushed over the inner end of needle. it then fills with blood.

The tubes cannot be used again since the vacuum is gone and wont suck in blood. they probably refer to the needle, which must be discarded after on use. It would be easy to reuse the same needle . google vacutainer for more info. Those are not standard syringes cause they are only one way. Vein into tube.

Theoretically reusing these needles could cross infect many since the risk of needle/blood born infection is thought to be related to caliber of hollow needle as well as depth of penetration.

Edited by atyclb

Year 8 is children.

The people that did this should lose any right to take blood samples. If they have some sort of licence, it needs to be revoked.

Not reusing syringes is the FIRST thing you learn, and is the most basic precaution in anything involving blood for the last 30+ years since HIV was discovered.

Normally I'd expect the usual inaction, but medical scandals like this could seriously damage the medical tourism sector, which brings in big bucks, so something might actually get done.

Edited by bkk_mike
  • Like 1

"The province's Internal Security Operations Command said the company may have also provided questionable results. Near-sighted students were recorded to be far-sighted, and all of the eight graders happened to share the same A blood type."

"there is already too much prevention, the human body is powerfull enough to get rid of most of the diseases"

What else do you expect from someone who went to a medical school that advertises in the back of a comic book, right next to the ad for magic x-ray glasses?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Hey Choad , is this supposed to be funny ?

Future news.

Public Health Minister Witthaya Buranasiri expressed surprise today on the rampant influx of HIV cases amongst young students in Saraburi.

He did say, however, that on a positive note, somehow everyone in that province now all have the same blood type thus easing critical blood shortages for trauma cases.

Holy hell !!!! Let's hope and if you believe in a god, pray that they have not caused irrevocable damage to the poor kids. How can this ever be allowed to happen !!?? I will only let someone stick a needle in my arm if they can justify why it is necessary and if I can see for myself them opening the new packet with the needle in it. You MUST be so careful these days especially in a country where life is so damned worthless to seemingly everyone, even doctors

So you think this is funny?

Future news.

Shown in the photo is the "vacutainer system" uses a hollow needle and a vacuum glass test tube with rubber end is pushed over the inner end of needle. it then fills with blood.

The tubes cannot be used again since the vacuum is gone and wont suck in blood. they probably refer to the needle, which must be discarded after on use. It would be easy to reuse the same needle . google vacutainer for more info. Those are not standard syringes cause they are only one way. Vein into tube.

Theoretically reusing these needles could cross infect many since the risk of needle/blood born infection is thought to be related to caliber of hollow needle as well as depth of penetration.

The photo used is only a stock photo and doesn't reflect what they used at the school for drawing blood (the grown man's arm in the photo is the tip-off).

Re-using the same syringe runs the risk of infecting the students with HIV, hepatitis, and other blood borne pathogens.

• Like 1

No, it is not funny.

It's sarcasm of the inept manner that potentially has fatal consequences for the students in the first sentence.

The second sentence reflects the lack of even rudimentary knowledge displayed by those in charge.

So youn think this is funny?

Future news.

Edited by johnnie20110
  • Like 1

No, it is not funny.

It's sarcasm of the inept manner that potentially has fatal consequences for the students in the first sentence.

The second sentence reflects the lack of even rudimentary knowledge displayed by those in charge.

So youn think this is funny?

Future news.

I work in that school and those are my students that you are talking about.

Those are my co-teachers that you are talking about.

You clearly do not understand the gravity of this matter.

I work in that school and those are my students that you are talking about.

Those are my co-teachers that you are talking about.

You clearly do not understand the gravity of this matter.

I understand that the students nor the teachers were drawing the blood samples.

The problem lies with the contracted company that did the sampling and those in the school administration responsibile for the supervision as well as anyone in the education ministry who has oversight.

Was no one on the scene aware of how grevious and shoddy the blood sampling was conducted?

In the blood tests at that school, he said, many students and their parents had witnessed the medical team reusing the same syringe several times,

What more can you say after that? This idiots watch them re-use the needles and just let them keep doing it. Unreal.

The name of the company is not identified by the DSI.

Two cheers for Thailand's ridiculous libel / slander laws. The wealthy win again.

In the blood tests at that school, he said, many students and their parents had witnessed the medical team reusing the same syringe several times,

What more can you say after that? This idiots watch them re-use the needles and just let them keep doing it. Unreal.

To call them idiots is completely out of place. We are not in a primary school playground to keep on throwing those words around especially when you do not know much about the situation.

There was actually a time when the disgruntled parents and teachers called the police to investigate about the matter.

As expected, the "medical staff" just took off and left everything behind.