Deportation Question

Hello, this is my first post here, and I have a question which I hope you don`t mind helping me with.

A friend of mine was recently deported from Thailand. It was for his own good, if he had stayed then there was a real chance that some unsavoury locals would have done some damage to him, but he didn`t see it that way.

The grounds for deportation were that his visa had expired, and he did not have his passport on him (he had used it as a deposit).

My question is, could he ever come back to Thailand, and if so, how soon?

Are the immigration officials who deported him aware of the circumstances/situation of unsavoury locals ?

Sounds quite harsh for them to deport and bar him for a small overstay---if infact it is small...

considering that german aids guy in chaiyaphum was able to return to Thailand after being deported for what? 10 years overstay???

Last 90 day check in at immigration, I saw they upped the fines for overstays...so it looks like officials are more occupied with payments then they are banning farang from ever returning...unless he/she is absolutely a pest for the country.

Can you give us more details on how the deportation took place...that way others who are at risk can know?

Did detectives actually do work and locate him and ship him to immigration cell...or was he busted at some border checkpoint or...?

My question is, could he ever come back to Thailand, and if so, how soon?

I believe according to the new overstay regulations either for one, or half a year he will be barred from coming back to Thailand.

Do you mean that

A. If one overstays one, or one half a year, they will be barred from ever returning to Thailand

or

B. If one overstays their visa, they will be barred for one, or one half a year before eligible to return

???

Edited by greenwanderer108

He had left the passport as a deposit on a vehicle.

I`m sorry but I`m not going to give any more details for fear of jeopardising my friend, except to say that the police knew all the circumstances and deported him for his own good.

We have some conflicting advice here, some say that he can return after 6 months or a year, some that he would be on a blacklist (indefinite exclusion?).

Does anyone have a definite answer, or isn`t there one? Many thanks in advance.

I think i remember now that if the 20 000 baht maximum fine was reached it was either a year, or half a year not allowed back into Thailand. And with the new rates of 500 baht a day overstay that is only 40 days overstay and more. I reckon being deported officially might be the same.

Just call the immigration and ask them.

He had left the passport as a deposit on a vehicle.

I`m sorry but I`m not going to give any more details for fear of jeopardising my friend, except to say that the police knew all the circumstances and deported him for his own good.

We have some conflicting advice here, some say that he can return after 6 months or a year, some that he would be on a blacklist (indefinite exclusion?).

Not wishing to appear unhelpful, but without knowing precisely what was written or stamped in your friend's passport when he was deported, I cannot see how anyone can give you a definitive answer.

I'm not really sure of how they connect the dots on things, but I would think a new passport issued from his country of origin would have a new, untracable number for Thai officials, thus allowing him to re-enter and cock up the whole epxperience again, thus allowing the 'unsavory' sorts to finish what they missed out on the first time.

If that's the case, maybe you're better off not telling him for his own good.

Of course, if there is a way to connect the dots, then I guess the pretty lady at Don Muang politely ushers him to a quiet room where they thoroughly explain he will be getting onto his return flight a bit sooner than expected. :o

Burrito

According to number 11 on the blacklist link above

11. Those who have been deported by either the Government of Thailand or that of another foreign country; those who have been sent out of the Kingdom by competent officials at the expense of the Government of Thailand unless the Minister makes an exemption on an individual, special-case basis.

sounds like boy's on the black list...though depending on who sponsored his deportation and how competent he is with Thai officials, language, manners, customs, etc.. ,

doesn't sound like it's impossible for him to return. In the meantime, he should make mends with the issues that got him booted in the first place. A good start might be the local Thai wat in his home country...

Regards

I'm not really sure of how they connect the dots on things, but I would think a new passport issued from his country of origin would have a new, untracable number for Thai officials............

I am not sure this will work. See the last paragraph of the Immigration blacklist.

He would need to change his name then apply for a new passport.