New avian flu virus in China prompts Thailand's authorities to act

webfact

New avian flu virus prompts authorities to act
Pongphon Sarnsamak
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The discovery of a new strain of avian-flu virus, H7N7, in China has prompted Thailand's environment-watch agency to tighten its measures on emerging-disease surveillance and closely monitor suspicious bird illnesses and deaths nationwide.

The discovery of a new strain of avian-flu virus, H7N7, in China has prompted Thailand's environment-watch agency to tighten its measures on emerging-disease surveillance and closely monitor suspicious bird illnesses and deaths nationwide.

More than 200 wildlife-sanctuary staff and biologists have been told to keep a close watch on migratory birds from northern regions of Asia over next three months, as thousand of birds will flock to Thailand during the winter season.

"Hundreds of officials nationwide are now preparing to monitor any suspicious bird behaviour that might cause the spread of emerging diseases - especially this new strain of bird-flu virus," said Theerapat Prayurasiddhi, director-general of the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department.

State broadcaster China Central Television reported yesterday that a research team at the University of Hong Kong had found the new H7N7 virus in chickens. The virus was also found to cause severe pneumonia in ferrets.

To date, there is no official report about the spread of H7N7. During the past year, the Conservation Department has collected 4,200 samples of species nationwide to test the bird-flu viruses H5N1 and H7N9 and Nipah virus. The test results showed that no wild birds had been infected.

The department also monitors the spread of other diseases in wild animals such as chytridiomycosis, a bacterial infection, and coronaviruses.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-23

Perhaps the biologists & national-park staff might offer flimsy cotton masks to birds seen to have suspicious coughs or sneezes ? rolleyes.gif

Better still, re-instate Khunying Sudarat to organize the mother of all cover ups in case it comes to Thailand, just like last time. Worked a charm apart from decimating Thailands chicken farming industry for a few years and killing a dozen or so people.

• Like 2

Quite funny really, the discovery of a new strain of avian-flu virus is already starting, by some posters, to be the fault of the Thai Government!

Nonsensical, troll posts and Thai bashing posts have been removed. Please stay on topic.

one problem after another. Hope Thailand remains OK

I cringe everytime I read about a public/government agency measure to protect the public against emergency situations.

Yes, I can avoid the derailment prone trains.

I can avoid the oiled up beaches and associated toxic seafood caused by oil spills

I can evacuate in the case of flooding.

I can even limit my exposure to BKK air pollution.

I cannot control things when the authorities roll through my village unannounced and without warning fumigate for mosquitoes, letting the white/gray cloud drift through windows--I'm scared to death about what they use to spray.

And I have no confidence in any emergency measures to control a new strain of bird flu.

Life is becoming a little like Russian Roulette, here.