Lamphun - School Recommendations & House/Apartment Rentals

stament

Hi,

Just looking for some information on good schools in Lamphun for a 7yr old and also some info on prices for a nice apartment or small house (2 bedroom) in a nice area?

I did search on the forum but most posts seem to be a few years old, so I thought I'd start a new one.

Many thanks

I see this is your 2nd attempt for information on this subject.

In the first one, you mentioned Li, which is a city at the opposite end of Lamphun Province and a good couple of hours drive away from the city of Lamphun. You also mentioned that your son is 7, has been educated in England for the last 3 years, and has poor Thai language skills. Good luck in finding a school in this area that will be able to accommodate him. Your best bet for his education will be in Chiangmai.

My kids were 3 when they started kindergarten at a local private school in the city of Lamphun, as we wanted to keep them closer to home. Both had very good English language skills (for their age) and very poor Thai language skills. They both had difficulties adjusting to school, even at that very young age, especially my son. We sent them both to Chiang Mai for their secondary school education. I do not know any other mixed couples with school age children here, but I do know many Thai couples who send even their very young children to Chiang Mai for their education. The schools in Chiang Mai are considered much better.

I can give you some names of private primary schools here in Lamphun, but you will have to check them out and talk to them yourself. I assume you have a Thai wife or someone who will be able to communicate with them in Thai, as English is not widely used here. You can do your own google searches, but the results will mostly be in Thai. I can get you phone numbers and/or email addresses and specific locations if you need it.

Orapin School, which is where my kids went but does not necessarily mean that I recommend it.

Rapeelert School, which is currently advertising for their new primary school English program.

Baiboon School, and

Laohajit School.

As far as places to rent, I have no direct experience, but I have a friend who recently found a house here to rent. This is something that you are going to have to come here and do for yourself. Houses that are for rent go very quickly. Most people want to sell, but will rent if they can't find a buyer, especially if the house had been sitting vacant for a while. There are plenty of one room dorimatory style buildings, which you probably don't want to live in, especially with a child. There are a couple of new "condos", one which was just completed and one still under construction. However "condos" seems to be the new catch phrase to also describe appartments and flats. Again, you will most likely have to come and look around yourself.

Personally, if I were you, I would not be looking to live here with a British educated school age child, I would be in Chiang Mai.

• Like 2

Just to echo what has been said, I know some people who work in Lamphun (at the Industrial Estate) and they all choose to live in Chiang Mai. If you pick something on the South side of town, possibly off the Third Ring, then it's a fairly easy commute. Of course that's for the Industrial Estate which is right off the highway; if you're in Li, colloquially referred to as 'the middle of <expletive> nowhere' then that may be harder.

If you have a typical morning work start time that makes you hit morning rush hour then I'd pick to live somewhere just East of the super highway on the Outer Ring. That makes for an easy left turn on to highway #11.

But again, staying in Li is completely crazy.

Just to echo what has been said, I know some people who work in Lamphun (at the Industrial Estate) and they all choose to live in Chiang Mai. If you pick something on the South side of town, possibly off the Third Ring, then it's a fairly easy commute. Of course that's for the Industrial Estate which is right off the highway; if you're in Li, colloquially referred to as 'the middle of <expletive> nowhere' then that may be harder.

If you have a typical morning work start time that makes you hit morning rush hour then I'd pick to live somewhere just East of the super highway on the Outer Ring. That makes for an easy left turn on to highway #11.

But again, staying in Li is completely crazy.

Who said anything about working???? ;-)