CORDLESS HEADPHONES how do they work

chiangrai

Hi,

I need new headphones for my laptop but know nothing about them.

My questions are,

-are they easy to set up,

-what happens if there is another laptop in the same room,

-what brand should I buy and can I buy it online.

All help welcome

How do they work?

If they are like mine, extremely well (but mine cost GBP150).

There are three main sorts of cordless headphone:

infrared which relies on line of sight and doesnt work very well

FM radio which works somewhat better

proprietary wifi which works well

All are easy to set up. None should be subject to interference unless you have another similar transmitter in the room. The main thing to watch out for is background hiss and hum etc. The cheaper ones suffer from this a lot and it isnt until you start paying real money that you get a decent result.

• Like 1

How do they work?

If they are like mine, extremely well (but mine cost GBP150).

There are three main sorts of cordless headphone:

infrared which relies on line of sight and doesnt work very well

FM radio which works somewhat better

proprietary wifi which works well

All are easy to set up. None should be subject to interference unless you have another similar transmitter in the room. The main thing to watch out for is background hiss and hum etc. The cheaper ones suffer from this a lot and it isnt until you start paying real money that you get a decent result.

Although covered by the proprietry some are Bluetooth which is available on many laptops and mobile phones as standard or can be added to a computer with a usb key dongle.

Although covered by the proprietry some are Bluetooth which is available on many laptops and mobile phones as standard or can be added to a computer with a usb key dongle.

That's very true. I was thinking more of "proper" headphones for use with a hifi or PC for listening to music or watching TV/films etc., which is what I use mine for.

The OP could indeed be thinking more of Bluetooth headsets for telephony use etc. Maybe he could tell us what he actually wants from them?

That's very true. I was thinking more of "proper" headphones for use with a hifi or PC for listening to music or watching TV/films etc., which is what I use mine for.

The OP could indeed be thinking more of Bluetooth headsets for telephony use etc. Maybe he could tell us what he actually wants from them?

What do you mean proper. Bluetooth supports very high end hifi listening in stereo with very very good sound specs.

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/wireless-bluetooth-headset-headphone-smart-mobile-phone-stereo-mm-500-x gives one example.

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/sony/mdr-1rbt/455105/ is another.

Edited by harrry

o.k

I don't need super quality and don't need telephone.

just a reasonable quality set for movies.

What do I need to know before buying,can any computer take Bluetooth

and any place to buy online.

Most laptops have it built in.

check the skype shop for more info...once upon a time i used their old (years ago) freetalk model until it melted on my ear...up until then I loved them!

they weren't BT

they had their own usb plug in...wifi me thinks

I only wanted to spend about 1000bht and I was thinking of getting one for me misses

as-well.

Would I be better off geting corded headphones at that price.

I saw some cordless ones in CENTRAL for 600bht.I take it these would be crap

Thanks for the help so far.

I only wanted to spend about 1000bht and I was thinking of getting one for me misses

as-well.

Lets face it .....at our age our ears are crap too. Cheap ones are probably more than adequate.

They allways say tat by the time you can afford good speakers you do not need them.

"They allways say tat by the time you can afford good speakers you do not need them."

Guess I must have been old before my time - never could hear lyrics or tell the diff between good and bad speakers. But my nagging ex-missus always seemed to come through loud and clear - is that a peculiar woman thing? I couldn't even use hyperacusis as an excuse.

Anyway, just begun to investigate an LED screen (probably about 45 inches) to replace my very old analog (is that correct?) TV which weighs as much as 10 slabs of beer. Do cordless headphones work with those digital TV thingies? Or do they run through the computer? Sorry, stupid as well as deaf.

Wit

Funny you should mention about some of older folks not being so fussy with audio quality. I e-mailed a 29-year old friend about how I had just converted ("ripped") the rest of my music CD's to MP3 files on my computer using iTunes and threw out the actual disks. He replied that the default iTunes settings for ripping are not optimized and sent me a link telling me how to increase the audio quality (higher bit rate, and different compression, I think?) before converting the CDs. I'm not sitting in a soundproof room with $800 Bose headphones. I mainly listen to music on an airplane or train using B300 ear buds. Doubt I could tell the difference between higher quality MP3 files and what I've got now. Plus, the trash men had already picked up my disks.

I'm glad I found this thread as my laptop headphone jack just stopped working and I like to listen to online videos (news, music) without disturbing others. A Bluetooth headset might be a good solution (my laptop has BT) and I could also use them with my iPhone when I'm traveling and eliminate the cord tangle.

I mainly listen to music on an airplane or train using B300 ear buds. Doubt I could tell the difference between higher quality MP3 files and what I've got now. Plus, the trash men had already picked up my disks.

You certainly pay for what you get. I have a pair of Klipsch s4i's and Bowers and Wilkins C5's and can't fault either.

They're not cheap and have two year warranties on both and the Bowers and Wilkins will be going back this week as only playing out of one ear already. That's why I keep two pairs.

There's a huge difference in sound quality from the humdrum.

I may have exaggerated a little. The Sony ear buds I use for travel were about B600 or so, and have decent range of sound. Cheap no-name ones usually seem to have weak bass, but these Sony ones do all right.

I took a quick look at InvadeIT's web site and they have some folding BT headsets for about B2,000 that I'm curious about. I prefer :"in ear" buds for external sound reduction, but guess I can't have everything.

Under 600 Baht for cordless / wifif headphones and base unit bought in Thailand over 3 years ago and still working.

Base unit plugs into the tv and transmits to the headphones. I use rechargable batteries AAA size (4 of).

They will pick up Thai radio too.

You can also plug in headphones through a jack.

Available in many computer shops here.

Quality sound? I would not know as I am deaf on one side but they do work fine. I listen to the tv / music as I wander about the house making coffee or whatever.

as-well.

Cheapies

- Cheap wireless head sets use IR Reciever (infra red)

- Non rechargeable batteries

- Analog quality

- Ears can hurt from extended amount of use

Vs High End

- USB Bluetooth or Inbuilt-Reciever

- USB Rechargable head set

- 5.1 Sound

- Digital sound Quality

RRP (B1,500 - B5,000)

Right,

I've found INVADET headphones but can't find any cordless,

I recon I will get a pair for around 1000bht and see how they sound.

So i'm sttil trying to find a pair online and need to know if I get a pair for me missus as well

will they interfere with each other

I bought these Logitech H800 about a year ago and I have been very happy with them. They were US $90. They are great at night for watching movies or gaming without disturbing that special someone who is lying next to you and keeping you awake with thier snoring wub.png

They connect via usb dongle or bluetooth. I find the bluetooth works fine so I use that and keep the usb port free. The dongle stores in a compartment with the battery.

You can connect with stereo or VIOP telephoney. Stereo sounds full, deep and clear. Telephoney works great w/skype and my Magicjack. Volume control on the headset.

Comes with a usb cable for re-charging only! The cable will not carry signal for sound. But I have found that my Samsung phone wall charger will charge the headset as well! 6+ hours of use on a charge is no problem.

wpcoe..............thank you.

I've now got a page of wireless and a page of bluetooth headphones to chose from.

90% of them are RAPOO,is this a good brand.

I think I will go for wireless but I don't know how or why it's better,it just might be easier because I have no

bluetooth on my laptop.

My last question is,what if I get another pair in a months time so me missus can use them on her laptop in the same room.Will both sets of headphones interfere with each other

Thanks to all...............