'Drugs planted on Australian couple' in Thailand

webfact

'Drugs planted on Melbourne couple' in Thailand

BANGKOK: -- A Melbourne couple say they believe drugs were planted on them at Bangkok Airport for bribes.

The woman, known only as Georgia, and her boyfriend were just about to check in for a flight to Phuket when they noticed their luggage had been tampered with, Fairfax Radio reports.

Georgia said the locks were missing off one of the suitcases and the straps had been cut.

"As we looked into the suitcases we realised the lock was missing.

"My boyfriend went to close his suitcase and noticed it had been cut."

The pair checked into a local hotel and did a thorough search of the bags.

Full story: http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/latest/18657003/drugs-planted-on-melbourne-couple-in-thailand/

-- YAHOO!7NEWS 2013-08-26

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The link looks broken Webfact, page not found.

If there's any truth in this story that's both appalling and terrifying. That would be my ultimate travelers nightmare.

Incidentally I have noticed an increase in bags being tampered with. I went for four years without my bags being opened in transit and the last three trips have seen them opened. Customs are entitled to check the bags in transit, but I'd prefer if they put a sticker on the bag saying "Security checked and cleared in Glasgow/ Dubai / BKK" or whatever. I don't like the idea of nameless people rummaging around in my bags.

Worked ok fo me, theblether.

Goes on to say that they found a handful of mj in the case and they believe it would have been about (extorting) money.

• Like 1

The link looks broken Webfact, page not found.

If there's any truth in this story that's both appalling and terrifying. That would be my ultimate travelers nightmare.

Incidentally I have noticed an increase in bags being tampered with. I went for four years without my bags being opened in transit and the last three trips have seen them opened. Customs are entitled to check the bags in transit, but I'd prefer if they put a sticker on the bag saying "Security checked and cleared in Glasgow/ Dubai / BKK" or whatever. I don't like the idea of nameless people rummaging around in my bags.

Link works for me.

• Like 2

This is all over the Australian media at the moment and more damaging publicity for Thailand. Remarks also about the corruption that is rife in Thailand and the BIB are getting a good mention in dispatches.

The media will be all over this. I heard one report in Oz this morning that made a comparison to the Schapelle Corby case.

There is no evidence that the drugs were planted to demand a bribe from the victims. Using unsuspected travelers is a well known way to smuggle things. A scarry expeirence nonetheless, as the consequences for them when caught would have been very serious.

You think it was a gift?

It was a handful of weed. That is not someone trying to use someone's bag for smuggling.

• Like 2

Its a good thing they noticed the damage to thier luggage, if they hadn't then they could have become victims of extortion, or worse, found themselves residing at the Bangkok Hilton for a few years. This is the reason I pay a little extra and get my luggage wrapped at the airport.

Lucky their baggage was over weight at check in which resulted in them noticing the damage.

The thing missing from this article is if the couple packed their own bags, when the locks were "locked", when they noticed the locks were missing, and if the couple were in possession of their luggage the whole time that the bags were locked. They obviously were not if the locks were cut, but establishing this would quickly narrow down the places and periods of time which the locks could have been cut and who would have been responsible.

If you located such items in your luggage at the airport and you declared it, would one still be charged with possession? My concern is that in the Kingdom there would be little consideration given to honest declaration, which I am sure has caused huge complications for some in the past who are forced to traffic drugs by international drug gangs but do not want to.

They weren't in possession of their bags the whole time, they left the bags with hotel staff for around 30 minutes whilst they took a walk waiting for their ride. The woman gives her story in the link attached. They were very lucky and a good move I think to immeadiately contact the Australian Embassy for advice.

• Like 1

I'd agree with Georgia's assessment - almost certainly an attempt at extortion, either by bogus officials or by real officials such as the recent ATM case at Soi Nana. Scare the pants off tourists with dire threats of years in gaol until they're ready to pay almost anything to be let go. For example, this has been the technique of low-grade police in Thailand for decades, even for real or imaginary minor traffic offences - look serious, intimidate with threats of dire consequences until nice and soft, then move in for the sting.

Edited by asdecas
  • Like 2

More bad news for Thailand and it's tourism money maker.

I look forward to the TAT's spin on this one...

"This will have no effect on tourism" People will be flocking from Australia now that this has gone viral down under. lots of talk back about Shappele Corby and set ups by Thai authorities.

I had the same sinking feeling awhile back coming back from the US. Got back to BKK and found the lock on my suitcase missing. And the strap I had tucked inside was missing. Got home and found a note from Homeland Security saying they had cut open the lock (never mentioned the strap they kept for themselves) and it was my problem if anything was stolen or missing. And what if someone put something INSIDE, as happened to these people, well, that was my problem, too. Get to Asia and get the death penalty for "smuggling" drugs, all because Homeland Security makes your suitcase a target of opportunity by cutting off the locks.

I doubt that Homeland Security would leave a note if they were smuggling drugs.

• Like 1