Walen School of Investing - learn how to make money and have a better life!

MacWalen

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How often do you open new positions / close existing ones? Are you an active investor or do you usually hold the same stock for years?

rambling, if you would like to learn from me then I recommend you joining the seminar. If you know better, then why do you want more information form me? What I do works and I can teach others how to make money and have a better life. The interest is growing even in other parts of Thailand where I did not advertise.

Here is the update of Walen portfolio as of 16 Sep 2013. Rambling you are welcome to go ahead and criticise it, I know your style already. Very predictable.

Too funny. Sorry, but I'm not interested in a discussion on this level. I was just replying here because I'm always up for talking shop with serious guys who are into the markets. This is not the case here though so good luck to you in your endeavors.

good luck to you in your endeavours.

Thank you for your good wishes rambling. I did not mean to be unfriendly, it is not nice when someone keeps criticising you, at least that is how I felt. I'm not into disputes and arguments. I believe my seminar can help those you are interested in investing and they will get good value for the money.

Edited by MacWalen
  • Like 1

People who are looking for a good foundation and basics for beginning investing, and also checking their own personality if they have the right charachter for this field I think 3000 baht is not too much. What does one have the lose ? Either he likes it and might even be interested in broadening his knowledge in investing and create some wealth for himself, or one might say... this is not for me... fair enough. But honestly 3000 baht for a seminar to learn some basics about investing and learn something about yourself is not too much. And no I am not affiliated to mac but I am a trader/investor myself so know how this world works.

So if interested go for it, what does one have to lose 3000 baht, 100$ to find out if u could put ur savings to better use instead of keeping it in a bank.

People who are looking for a good foundation and basics for beginning investing, and also checking their own personality if they have the right charachter for this field I think 3000 baht is not too much. What does one have the lose ? Either he likes it and might even be interested in broadening his knowledge in investing and create some wealth for himself, or one might say... this is not for me... fair enough. But honestly 3000 baht for a seminar to learn some basics about investing and learn something about yourself is not too much. And no I am not affiliated to mac but I am a trader/investor myself so know how this world works.

So if interested go for it, what does one have to lose 3000 baht, 100$ to find out if u could put ur savings to better use instead of keeping it in a bank.

Seems ironic that you talk about " good foundation and basics for beginning investing " while some of the big boys are pulling out for now ?

Admittedly, you are concentrating on Thailand but MacWalen has already acknowledged earlier that whatever happens in USA will influence the rest of the markets around the world.

Because you say you know how this world works I would be interested in your interpretation of Seth Klarman's of the Baupost Group latest gesture saying he is going to be returning money to investors because of a lack of investment opportunities?

Baupost Group manages $28.1 billion in assets and this would be only the second time Baupost will be returning money to investors in the Boston-based investment firm’s 31-year history.

I thought this comment was particularly salient

“ If the economy is so fragile that the government cannot allow failure, then we are indeed close to collapse “ohmy.png

Sure, all could collapse but it will not. Businesses will keep doing business and people will keep getting up in the morning and going to work. The problem is US debt as US is spending more than the tax revenue brings in, however they have a money printing machine and they can print new money all the time and keep increasing debt ceiling and effectively lend themselves money central bank is printing. If things get better they can just forgive themselves the debt. It is very clever actually.

Investors have to observe what is happening and act accordingly but things are much better than in 2007 and 2008. Banking system works and that will keep things going.

Edited by MacWalen

Sure, all could collapse but it will not. Businesses will keep doing business and people will keep getting up in the morning and going to work. The problem is US debt as US is spending more than the tax revenue brings in, however they have a money printing machine and they can print new money all the time and keep increasing debt ceiling and effectively lend themselves money central bank is printing. If things get better they can just forgive themselves the debt. It is very clever actually.

Investors have to observe what is happening and act accordingly but things are much better than in 2007 and 2008. Banking system works and that will keep things going.

Do you honestly believe that is such a clever policy based on history?

If it was the answer to everything why would anyone need to conduct business or even go to work every day? If they just turned on the money printing machine as you describe it, everyone could just enjoy a life of leisure while the money is being printed. It's an absurd policy because it doesn’t increase economic output in any way.

it will lead to this............

post-6925-0-48895000-1379416524_thumb.gi

Seems ironic that you talk about " good foundation and basics for beginning investing " while some of the big boys are pulling out for now ?

Admittedly, you are concentrating on Thailand but MacWalen has already acknowledged earlier that whatever happens in USA will influence the rest of the markets around the world.

Because you say you know how this world works I would be interested in your interpretation of Seth Klarman's of the Baupost Group latest gesture saying he is going to be returning money to investors because of a lack of investment opportunities?

Baupost Group manages $28.1 billion in assets and this would be only the second time Baupost will be returning money to investors in the Boston-based investment firm’s 31-year history.

I thought this comment was particularly salient

“ If the economy is so fragile that the government cannot allow failure, then we are indeed close to collapse “ohmy.png

Macwalen I would like to post a link here if you don't mind?

I'm doing so because some of the people that might be attending your seminar may find it interesting to read Seth Klarman’s book. This is a link to the full 258 pages , which is a bargain because I have been told original copies sell for up to $2,400.00.smile.png( if you dont believe me see the wikpedia link below and the paragraph entitled " Career " tongue.png )

http://www.my10000dollars.com/MS.pdf

( Seth Klarman (born May 21, 1957) is an american billionaire who founded the Baupost Group, a Boston-based private investment partnership, and the author of a book on value investing titled Margin of Safety: Risk-Averse Value Investing Strategies for the Thoughtful Investor.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_Klarman

Edited by midas

I agree that the policy of printing money may lead to the run on the dollar but there are no signs of that and great financial minds not quite understand what is going on and how it works but economy will certainly not stop, consumption will not stop, there will always be winners in every situation.

Thanks for the link, interesting read not doubt.

I agree that the policy of printing money may lead to the run on the dollar but there are no signs of that and great financial minds not quite understand what is going on and how it works but economy will certainly not stop, consumption will not stop, there will always be winners in every situation.

It's already started (maybe in slow motion), according to yet another billionaire

do u believe everyting these people say ??? oh man I got lots of analysts claiming the sp500 will hit 2000 in no time, others say it will crash, u gotta do ur own homework man as a pro, listening to those analysts is not a great help. so pulling out, short sell out of it then or...... are they loooking for liquidity for retailers to go short so they can go long....... it is not that easy of jsut listening and accepting someones view, u gotta do the work urself if u want to make money in the markets, I have been doing it, now about showing portfolio with profits.... fine by me.... are u willing to show me ur bank account ?

Edited by Rimmer
profanity

I told you guys SET is not as bad as some posters would like you to believe and you can definitely make a lot of money here.

I hope you don't end up eating those words.

Stock markets will always present opportunities. It is all about timing and direction. If you can get it right you will do very well.

I told you guys SET is not as bad as some posters would like you to believe and you can definitely make a lot of money here.

I hope you don't end up eating those words.

Stock markets will always present opportunities. It is all about timing and direction. If you can get it right you will do very well.

Any update of the portfolio from the last 2 days Mac ?

It's already started (maybe in slow motion), according to yet another billionaire

Nobody quite understands how it works. I will not pretend I know. I am just observing what is going on and act accordingly. Midas, what about doing business together? Second source of income is always a good idea. I can assure you that people will still do business no matter what. Markets have the ability of adjusting really quick also.

Currencies are a very tricky thing. US buys a lot of stuff form China, China has pegged RMB to Dollar, if dollar gets cheaper their exports will become even more competitive so their economy will grow faster and so on. All very much interconnected. Those who say they understand it all are lying.

it is not that easy of jsut listening and accepting someones view

It is when they agree with and seem to confirm your own preconceived notions. If those notions are paranoid, many stand ready to make money from them.

Markets always go up and down--a good thing. Midas has lost a lot recently, clinging to his largely imaginary security blanket, which he wrongly calls "insurance."

Meanwhile, MacWalen has made money. :) Of the two, I'd take MacWalen.

Good news guys. Sky isn't falling yet. Should be a good day!

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But one day they have to stop taper, and that day I don't want to have any money in the market anymore, because it will be the mother of all crashes.

• Like 1

i will check in a few hours again whether the duel MacW/PaddyJ is going on. if that is the case i will invite both to settle their differences

venue: my backyard

date: August 15, 2013

time: at sunrise

weapons: heavy sabres

rules: sine sine (no protection)

first aid: provided by my gardener

Gentlemen, you are hereby served!

Can't you make it later.....I hate getting up early.

But one day they have to stop taper, and that day I don't want to have any money in the market anymore, because it will be the mother of all crashes.

Marc Faber Warns "The Endgame Is A Total Collapse - But From A Higher Diving Board Now"

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-09-18/marc-faber-warns-endgame-total-collapse-higher-diving-board-now

It is when they agree with and seem to confirm your own preconceived notions. If those notions are paranoid, many stand ready to make money from them.

Markets always go up and down--a good thing. Midas has lost a lot recently, clinging to his largely imaginary security blanket, which he wrongly calls "insurance."

Meanwhile, MacWalen has made money. smile.png Of the two, I'd take MacWalen.

erm………. It's not surprising that people that that believe in the tooth fairy sometimes contradict themselves

your own words in post 217 on 8 September in the “To Invest A Condo In Pattaya. Will It Be A Good Investment? “

“If you own an asset, and its value in the market falls, you haven't realized any loss until you sell that asset.”

whistling.gif

Edited by midas

Marc Faber Warns "The Endgame Is A Total Collapse - But From A Higher Diving Board Now"

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-09-18/marc-faber-warns-endgame-total-collapse-higher-diving-board-now

This quotation taken from the link you provided, is how I see it for several months already.

And quite frankly, they have boxed themselves into a corner where they are now kind of desperate."

erm………. It's not surprising that people that that believe in the tooth fairy sometimes contradict themselves

your own words in post 217 on 8 September in the “To Invest A Condo In Pattaya. Will It Be A Good Investment? “

“If you own an asset, and its value in the market falls, you haven't realized any loss until you sell that asset.”

whistling.gif

Ha! So very true--but I wouldn't expect you to grasp that point, so no need to bring it up in this context.

Midas, after the coming Great Apocalypse, you and the small band of survivors are gonna need the Georgia Guidestones to help you rebuild from the rubble.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Guidestones

And remember: people are gonna need soap a lot more than gold. Stock up!

do u believe everyting these people say ??? oh man I got lots of analysts claiming the sp500 will hit 2000 in no time, others say it will crash, u gotta do ur own homework man as a pro, listening to those analysts is not a great help. so pulling out, short sell out of it then or...... are they loooking for liquidity for retailers to go short so they can go long....... it is not that easy of jsut listening and accepting someones view, u gotta do the work urself if u want to make money in the markets, I have been doing it, now about showing portfolio with profits.... fine by me.... are u willing to show me ur bank account ?

When you become a billionaire by successfully managing other people's money ( as Seth Klarman did ) I might start listening to yougiggle.gif

In the meantime if Seth Klarman says “ If the economy is so fragile that the government cannot allow failure, then we are indeed close to collapse “ ( and in particular taken in the context of what happened at the Fed last night ) , I think most normal people would interpret that as being a clear warning.ermm.gif

Edited by midas

When you become a billionaire by successfully managing other people's money ( as Seth Klarman did ) I might start listening to yougiggle.gif

In the meantime if Seth Klarman says “ If the economy is so fragile that the government cannot allow failure, then we are indeed close to collapse “ ( and in particular taken in the context of what happened at the Fed last night ) , I think most normal people would interpret that as being a clear warning.ermm.gif

Seth's completely misunderstood. It isn't the economy that's fragile. It's the Democratic Party's majority in the US Senate. smile.png Yes, that majority may be near to collapse.

Midas, we all know your religion and how you defend it by quoting one of your saints after another who agrees with you. Opinions are a dime a dozen. But you just keep repeating it over and over. It's so tiresome and amounts to trolling. Mods!

Edited by JSixpack

whistling.gif

Ha! So very true--but I wouldn't expect you to grasp that point, so no need to bring it up in this context.

Midas, after the coming Great Apocalypse, you and the small band of survivors are gonna need the Georgia Guidestones to help you rebuild from the rubble.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Guidestones

And remember: people are gonna need soap a lot more than gold. Stock up!

Soap is all there will be left in the “ Greatest Nation on Earth “ ( description courtesy of Naam ) because the Chinese and Indians will have taken the all real money ( for 6000 years ) from yougiggle.gif

Edited by midas