Aircraft explodes at military airport in Rayong

webfact

I personally have never understood having the Thai air force. Who are they going to do air strikes on,

Cambodia ???

Don't you think Thailand has the rigth to have an Air Force just like you country does ?

Anyway, during WWII Thailand fought Laos-based Franchs. Apparantely the Thai AF did good that maybe another reason they want the tradition to continue.

Thailand was one of the first countries to have an air force (1913).

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can you believe anything these military people tell you? that these face saving thais tell you?

would you place money on saying categorically that this is not an excuse for some military personnel gone mad with a gun and shot these people or some other such bad face causing nonsense?

Edited by john baah jumper

I personally have never understood having the Thai air force. Who are they going to do air strikes on,

Cambodia ????

Neutral States like Austria,Switzerland or Sweden have an air-force.

To have an air-force doesn't mean you HAVE to strike on something. There are enough other scenarios where you may need an air-force, including securing the sovereignty over the airspace.

• Like 1

Cambodia ???

Don't you think Thailand has the rigth to have an Air Force just like you country does ?

Anyway, during WWII Thailand fought Laos-based Franchs. Apparantely the Thai AF did good that maybe another reason they want the tradition to continue.

Thailand was one of the first countries to have an air force (1913).

Well you would think that in 100 years even they could have worked out how to unload a gun safely and not have a plane explode..... whistling.gif

Cambodia ????

Ditto for having an aircraft carrier and I believe there was / is talk of getting submarines.

It's all just face and to stick it to all the near neighbours, we are bigger, better and stronger than you. As if they care.

What a stupid statement!!! MR super does your country of origin have an air force?? if so why do they need an air force?? Why do you think??

The Thai air force pilots are very good pilots and before making these statements you should think about how good your countries air force is and why they need an air force before posting such a stupid statement.

the second statement by Mr Platinum member mmmmm just as stupid. Thailand is one of the most progressive countries in the region so why shouldn't they get better military equipment?/

Is that only the right of powerful Western nations ?? no of course not

• Like 2

Cambodia ????

Neutral States like Austria,Switzerland or Sweden have an air-force.

To have an air-force doesn't mean you HAVE to strike on something. There are enough other scenarios where you may need an air-force, including securing the sovereignty over the airspace.

Treaty of Amity 1966

Thailand has something better than their current air force. They have a treaty with America that says basically

America will open a can of whoop ass on any country that attacks Thailand. So all these goofy expenditures

on military hardware is simply a way to enrich the 1700 military generals here in Thailand.

1. the blimp that cannot fly

2. mind boggling attempt to get a submarine.

3. the fabulous aircraft carrier that has no planes that can fly, and I read recently it is incapable of making headway

Edited by Rimmer
  • Like 1

Cambodia ???

they also surrended to the Japs.

Ask anyone between 15 and 45 about WW2 blink.png No such thing happened

Wonderful schools here, lets not teach the kids anything about the outside world w00t.gif

Thailand is proud to declare that it has never been colonised nor ocupied.

Period!

• Like 1

Well according to Janes when I last read it 2 years ago Cambodia has an Air Force of some 500 personnel but no planes. Both planes I believe were twin props and they were on permanent loan to the Prime Minister's security detail. Laos doesn't have any either. Myanmar and Malaysia both do. So Thailand is probably wise to have some too. They probably have training aircraft which would only be used for combat in wartime and would typically be older slower and less expensive in case the trainees prang them. I doubt whether the Gripen's use guns but I could be wrong.

Cambodia ???

Wonderful schools here, lets not teach the kids anything about the outside world w00t.gif

Thailand is proud to declare that it has never been colonised nor ocupied.

Period!

According to TAT it is colonised with High End Tourists.

• Like 1

Cambodia ???

Look at a map of pre WWII and post WWII. Thailand gained a lot of land thanks to the Japs.

All you people putting down Thai military and its ability. Do you know anything about firstly aviation ?? very easy to post these comments while you live here in Thailand and put everything about the country down.

Well I did 25 years in the RAF. Does that count?

How many years of military service did you complete and in which branch?

Edited by billd766

Well according to Janes when I last read it 2 years ago Cambodia has an Air Force of some 500 personnel but no planes. Both planes I believe were twin props and they were on permanent loan to the Prime Minister's security detail. Laos doesn't have any either. Myanmar and Malaysia both do. So Thailand is probably wise to have some too. They probably have training aircraft which would only be used for combat in wartime and would typically be older slower and less expensive in case the trainees prang them. I doubt whether the Gripen's use guns but I could be wrong.

It actually does have a single 27mm cannon.

From Wikipedia at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_JAS_39_Gripen

Armaments and equipment

The Gripen is typically capable of carrying up to 14,330 lb (6.50 t) of armament or equipment.[73] Munitions include various missiles, laser-guided bombs, and a single 27 mm Mauser BK-27 cannon;[78] missiles include the AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missile, the AGM-65 Maverick air-to-ground missile, and the RBS-15 anti-ship missile.[79] External reconnaissance and targeting modules, such as the LITENING targeting pod, have been employed upon the Gripen by some operators.[80] The Gripen's Ternav tactical navigation system combines information from multiple onboard systems such as the air data computer, radar altimeter, and GPS to continuously calculate the Gripen's location.[81]

Edited by billd766

These Grippens are good well equipped aircraft fully operational for anything -training-combat.

The only thing that bothers me is why they did this deal, when they have a treaty with the States, already use F16 etc -better the devil you know.

My guess obtaining these aircraft some special deal must be involved.

• Like 1

Cambodia ????

Ditto for having an aircraft carrier and I believe there was / is talk of getting submarines.

It's all just face and to stick it to all the near neighbours, we are bigger, better and stronger than you. As if they care.

What a stupid statement!!! MR super does your country of origin have an air force?? if so why do they need an air force?? Why do you think??

The Thai air force pilots are very good pilots and before making these statements you should think about how good your countries air force is and why they need an air force before posting such a stupid statement.

the second statement by Mr Platinum member mmmmm just as stupid. Thailand is one of the most progressive countries in the region so why shouldn't they get better military equipment?/

I know you may have difficulty understanding this Mr. Livinglifebydreamingonthebeach, but how about a hint........... would you let your toddler play with fireworks after he had learned how to strike a match or work a lighter?????

Never mind ..... better not answer that.

but maybe like not being in front of the working end of a gun when trying to unjam it...... Maybe huh, maybe

Edited by Gonzo the Face
  • Like 2

All you people putting down Thai military and its ability. Do you know anything about firstly aviation ?? very easy to post these comments while you live here in Thailand and put everything about the country down.

Where you a pilot??? I am an active pilot with over 28 years flying. I fly with x Thai Military pilots daily and they are as good as any British/American/Australian pilots I have flown with. I suppose you might live in Thailand now right?? If so with your Military service would be nice to have some mutual respect for the air force of the country you now live in!!

Cambodia ????

"Thailand is one of the most progressive countries in the region"

Seriously? I usually refrain from Thai bashing but could you let us know on what you base that statement on?

• Like 1

Where you a pilot??? I am an active pilot with over 28 years flying. I fly with x Thai Military pilots daily and they are as good as any British/American/Australian pilots I have flown with. I suppose you might live in Thailand now right?? If so with your Military service would be nice to have some mutule respect for the air force of the country you now live in!!

Respect is earned not demanded.......

If you are a current pilot ......may the deities in heaven protect us

• Like 2

Where you a pilot??? I am an active pilot with over 28 years flying. I fly with x Thai Military pilots daily and they are as good as any British/American/Australian pilots I have flown with. I suppose you might live in Thailand now right?? If so with your Military service would be nice to have some mutule respect for the air force of the country you now live in!!

You must have an exciting job Sir flying with x Thai Military pilots daily. Where do you fly to? This is not a baiting post I would just like to know.

I think the Thai military should be respected if only for it's officer class which is as amazing as anything in Thailand.

China has the biggest regular army in the world at over 2 million and yet can muster less than 200 generals. Thailand's army at under 200,000 is less than a tenth of the size and yet has more than 1600 generals at the last count.

So if I was a betting man I'd fancy a Chinese win every time.... unless they were playing snooker.

Cambodia ????

how about using it to patrol and crack down on illegal fishing in the Gulf of Thailand that would be a good start, whilst there still remains at least a slim chance of preventing every last piece of sea life being dredged out of there, which is the path they are currently on! How will Thailand look as a holiday destination when the Gulf is a lifeless pond and the beaches covered in oil slicks?

And lest we forget any country with huge landmass, shorelines and maritime space needs to have defenses - Thailand being no exception.

Still, should be more careful next time, a hammer is not a good way to unjam a gun!