Making Polish Sausage at home.

kikoman

I received my new digital scale and wanted to try it out so I made Polish Sausage, a very simple recipe

5 lbs of pork butt (75-80% lean)

I tablespoon pickling salt

2 teaspoons fine ground black pepper

2 teaspoon dried marjoram

i cup ice water

post-91962-0-26487400-1377700198_thumb.jpost-91962-0-68518200-1377700250_thumb.j

post-91962-0-50382400-1377700296_thumb.jpost-91962-0-32119500-1377700351_thumb.j

I prepared the meat and spices, making sure to keep the meat as cold as possible, ground the meat in the food processor. ground the spices which was added to the cold water along with the garlic, added the spice mixture to the meat and mix well by hand for 5 minutes.

post-91962-0-57028700-1377700411_thumb.jpost-91962-0-17250300-1377700461_thumb.j

post-91962-0-01458600-1377700518_thumb.j[post-91962-0-17615400-1377700559_thumb.j

After mixing, placed the Sausage attachment on the meat grinder (for some reason the sausage stuffer did not work) went to plan "B" used a funnel and a chop stick to stuff the sausages. the last picture is of the finished sausages.

Brought my sausage casing at Makro, a bag for 280 Baht, we thawed out the whole bag and place about 14' lengths of casing in saran wrap and then placed them in a zip lock bag and refroze it, for later use. I had heard the casing were of bad quality, But was pleasantly surprised by the uniform size and quality of the casings.

The sausage came out great, and it was not to hard to make.

This is a fresh sausage, that will not be cold smoked and does not require any cure!

Cheers:wai2.gif

Edited by kikoman
  • Like 1

I just got lazy and my wife was using the food processor grinding some meat for her mother and asked if I wanted her to grind the pork also.

It did have a very fine grain as butterisbetter said, next time I will use the food processor, it is faster with less fuss.

No special reason.

Can I ask where you got the digital scale and how much it cost?

I like the idea of putting the cases in saran wrap and freezing them. I had thought to wind them around shortened chopsticks but didn't think abaout the saran wrap.

I like the idea of putting the cases in saran wrap and freezing them. I had thought to wind them around shortened chopsticks but didn't think abaout the saran wrap.

Makro Hang Dong generally has digital scales in stock downstairs near the bakery. They run about 700 baht. Can weight up to 5 kilos in 1 gram increments Yok also carries some. I bought one there, too, because it measures 1/10's of a gram.

Uncle Billd766,

How have you been doing?

I purchased the digital scale online from Verasu in Bangkok, it is a German Soehnle scale and cost about 1,500 baht it weights up to 15 kilos (33 lbs) (I gram/0.1 oz graduation).+ shipping.

If you need any more information, feel free to ask.

Makro Hang Dong generally has digital scales in stock downstairs near the bakery. They run about 700 baht. Can weight up to 5 kilos in 1 gram increments Yok also carries some. I bought one there, too, because it measures 1/10's of a gram.

Sadly I live about halfway between BKK and CM, 400 km each way and about 80km from Kikoman.

Uncle Billd766,

How have you been doing?

I purchased the digital scale online from Verasu in Bangkok, it is a German Soehnle scale and cost about 1,500 baht it weights up to 15 kilos (33 lbs) (I gram/0.1 oz graduation).+ shipping.

If you need any more information, feel free to ask.

Hi Kikoman

Thanks for the information.

I have just been living quietly and concentrating on my hobby of cooking.

I modified your make your own ham recipe and for me it works great. I also make bacon, pies, sausage rolls, cakes, biscuits, bread rolls and bread.

I have to stop every so often just to eat the contents of the freezer down a bit to make room for something different.

Have many more great days.

Cheers thumbsup.gif

Edited by billd766

Issangeorge

The salt I use for my curing is Thai rock salt that is available at any Thai market, and I grind it in my spice grinder.

If you would rather use the packaged pickling salt, I do not know where you can buy that, I would try at Villa, Foodland or any market that sells Western foods.

The only requirement for pickling salt is that it not contain iodine. If any one reading this post knows where Issangeorge can buy pickling salt , please post where he came find it.

Sorry I could not help you any more,

Edited by kikoman

billd766

I have been doing the same concentrating on cooking and building a wood-fired oven out of a 55 gallon drum.

I still bake a lot of Bread, and would like to expand my baking to include more than just bread and hot dog / hamburger buns.

I still make Queso Fresco and an looking for a source of raw milk near Nakhon Sawan.

Say hello to Mbox for me. I lost contact with him during the time I was sick.

Kikoman, where do you get your pickling salt from? Thanks.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I get my pure salt from a laboratory supply house called Union Science. It has locations in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. The salt comes in 50 kilo bags for 450 baht per bag or in 1 kilo foil pouches for 15 baht. It's sold as sodium chloride.

I'm going to take a wild guess and surmise that you are located in Isaan. See if you can find a laboratory supply house in the nearest big city. Often they are located near the major hospital.

Edited by butterisbetter

Issangeorge

The salt I use for my curing is Thai rock salt that is available at any Thai market, and I grind it in my spice grinder.

If you would rather use the packaged pickling salt, I do not know where you can buy that, I would try at Villa, Foodland or any market that sells Western foods.

The only requirement for pickling salt is that it not contain iodine. If any one reading this post knows where Issangeorge can buy pickling salt , please post where he came find it.

I use Thai sea salt also, but grind mine in the grinder attachment to my blender which can be disassembled and thoroughly washed. I wouldn't grind it in a "coffee grinder" or any grinder that can not be disassembled and thoroughly washed, it will eventually destroy it.

Butterisbetter thank you for the information of where Issangeorge can find packaged pickling salt. Maybe you would know where I could buy "brewers yeast" in Thailand?

Wayned, an old blender motor with the small top container is what I use to grind my spices, I just call it my spice grinder that is what I use most of the time, I used to use my Food processor to grind spices but now use the blender, thank you for the advise.

Issangeorge

I use nitrite brine and a contact place for you may be

I found mine at "Royal Exquisite Food Ltd. Part." in Pattaya, they have phone numbers listed in 3 other locations besides Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket and Koh Samui. I ordered it from Bangkok who never responded to my e-mails or phone calls, so I called the Pattaya office and within 3 days a very helpful lady had it delivered to my home.

From a post you made back in 2011 on another forum.

I will PM you with Reinhards details separately.

Cheers

Bill

Turkleton, As Billd 766 said it is in the freezer section, I had a hard time finding it and asked the butcher Department people for help. They went right to it, download a copy of billd 766's picture and take it with you when you go.

Good Luck.

Edited by kikoman

Billd766, I still use the Nitrite Brine salt, that I have always used as my "cure" or curing salt, the pickling salt is the (Sea, Rock, Koshered salt) that is the added plain salt to the recipe (it is not recommended to use plain table salt) because of the iodine in it.

I have increased the Nitrite Brine salt a little to 17 grams per kilo of meat cured, what I was using in the past was the right amount of salt as per the European cure calculator for .06% cure as the Brine salt we use is .08-.09% I have added 5 more grams of cure and cut back on the salt (Pickling salt) added to the cure.

Issangeorge's question was where I purchased the (pickling Salt) which is completely different salt than the Nitrite Brine salt. I hope that was the salt he was asking about, the place to purchase the Nitrite Brine salt is still in Pattaya. The price has gone up from 90 baht per kilo to 130 for Indasia and 150 baht per kilo for Hela.

By the way as I made a "fresh" Polish sausage, I did not use any cure (Nitrite Brine Salt) because I am not going to smoke the sausage. If I was going to smoke it I would have use the cure.

Butterisbetter thank you for the information of where Issangeorge can find packaged pickling salt. Maybe you would know where I could buy "brewers yeast" in Thailand?

Wayned, an old blender motor with the small top container is what I use to grind my spices, I just call it my spice grinder that is what I use most of the time, I used to use my Food processor to grind spices but now use the blender, thank you for the advise.

Sorry, I've never seen Brewer's yeast in Thailand. I have seen frozen cakes of fresh yeast (or, at least, undried yeast) at Bakersmart in Chiang Mai.

As I've noted in another thread in this forum, I make my own cure. If you have a gram scale it's really easy. Just mix whatever percentages of salt & nitrite or salt & nitrite & nitrate, then add enough water to make a slurry. Mix well and heat until water has evaporated. It's good to keep stirring at the end so the cure doesn't turn into one hard solid mass. Not essential, though, A blender should be able to turn it into powder.

I live way out in central Thailand and most of what I get has to be shipped in , I will stick with the Nitrite Brine Salt I have been using. I have had great success with it over the last 4/5 years.

As I use a European cure, I would not want to make my own cure as it is inexpensive and I have been happy with the meats I have cured.

Thank you, for bringing up the possibility of making ones own cure, other posters may have an interest in that subject.

• Like 1

Sorry, I've never seen Brewer's yeast in Thailand. I have seen frozen cakes of fresh yeast (or, at least, undried yeast) at Bakersmart in Chiang Mai.

The problem is that the guys most likely to make their own meats, bread, cakes, biscuits are people like Kikoman, me and many others who don't live near big cities with access to western style supplies. It means we look around a lot, ask friends who DO live in the cities to help us out.

For personal consumption and for friends I make bread, rolls, cakes, biscuits, pies, pasties, ham, bacon, pate etc but perhaps every 6 months or so I may go to a big city and buy in bulk the stuff that I can't buy locally.

If I send you a PM perhaps I could add an order on to yours every 6 months.

Cheers

Bill