Thai village under siege from marauding monkeys

webfact

Perhaps the monkeys could be placated with a new diet of rice. If the villagers asked the government nicely, maybe the environment minister could try and find a few tons of rice for them that the locals could fry or boil .

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stop developing shrimp farms. Stop destroying the monkey's natural habitat. Stop believing that humanity has the right to do whatever they like and anything that interferes with that is a pest. Solve this problem and others caused by humanity's rapicious appetites.

said the preachy guy who proposed no remotely practical way of reversing prevailing beliefs about humanity's unchecked endeavors, using an electricity-sucking computer made of plastic and oil in a room with artificial temperature control thanks to another energy-hogging appliance, probably from a room in a building on a property which 20 years ago was nothing but weeds, cobras & trees.

Nope. Used my phone. Don't own a computer. But yes I have things that cause some damage but don't complain if I have to pay a price for owning them. And having a view that I express on a forum discussing the consequences of mans destructive tendencies isn't preaching. It's called having an opinion.

• Like 2

The way it's resolved in South America is by capturing and painting one of the monkeys with vivid colors then releasing it. The other monkeys will run away from it as it runs to them, effectively scaring them all away.

Quite often done in Borneo as well. A lot of people may laugh at the idea but it really does work.

Vegetable dyes are used and they wash off after a few days but by that time the monkeys are a long way away running from the strangely coloured thing that wants to be friends with them

"They creep into my house when they see me sleeping, they go into the kitchen and take cooking oil, sugar and even the medicines that I hide in a cabinet," said Chaluay Khamkajit, after years battling with pesky primates who are thought to have been drawn into Khlong Charoen Wai village by habitat loss.

"They took my snacks, I can buy new ones, but the medicines are important to me," the 72-year-old said, as she and her husband demonstrated a variety of anti-monkey devices including a homemade lock for the fridge and the more direct deterrent of a sling-shot.

replacing the missing door of the house is not possible? huh.png

• Like 1

"They creep into my house when they see me sleeping, they go into the kitchen and take cooking oil, sugar and even the medicines that I hide in a cabinet," said Chaluay Khamkajit, after years battling with pesky primates who are thought to have been drawn into Khlong Charoen Wai village by habitat loss.

"They took my snacks, I can buy new ones, but the medicines are important to me," the 72-year-old said, as she and her husband demonstrated a variety of anti-monkey devices including a homemade lock for the fridge and the more direct deterrent of a sling-shot.

A little high tech for villagers....

Both in Petchaburi and in Prachuabkhirikhan I slept in hotels right beside a forested hill, where monkeys were a major problem. Staff warning to keep the door closed at all times, and being woken up by a monkey trying to open a window. Monkeys can get aggressive, and their bite leaves a nasty wound which has to be disinfected thoroughly.

Monkeys can get aggressive, and their bite leaves a nasty wound which has to be disinfected thoroughly.

So can Katoy, be warned.

cheesy.gif beatdeadhorse.gif sorry.gif just kidding,

It would be nice for an enterprising trader in dogs to see the error of their ways and engage in the Monkey Brains catering supply business.

These creatures can live in remote places unharmed but when they seek to get a free meal from humans with no restraint on attacking humans or our pets don't throw stones, use arrows and bullets, and lots of them.

If that is unsettling please provide your address and shipping to your home will be arranged.

I like the painting idea. If it works then that sounds like the best alternative. However if not then they should be culled down to a population that can be sustained by the remaining forrest land.

Sent from my GT-I9082L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

said the preachy guy who proposed no remotely practical way of reversing prevailing beliefs about humanity's unchecked endeavors, using an electricity-sucking computer made of plastic and oil in a room with artificial temperature control thanks to another energy-hogging appliance, probably from a room in a building on a property which 20 years ago was nothing but weeds, cobras & trees.

And I suppose you live in a candle-lit cave and posted your sarcastic comment with a tom-tom drum ! biggrin.png

Wow, seriously? You must strictly be a city person.

• 2 weeks later...