Burmese workers, wp?

What are the requirements for Burmese people to come and work here?

I know there are many Burmese working as maids, are they really allowed to get a work permit for that? Or is it all "illegal"?

Also, I notice there are many construction low paid workers who are Burmese, are they all here having work permits?? I find it hard to believe. On the other hand, I also find it hard to believe they all work illegal?

Anyone knows anything about this?

The vast majority of migrant workers from Myanmar are undocumented. The requirements are that they have enough money to pay a broker who colludes with an employer in Thailand.

Edited by pookiki

I believe 2 year work permits are available for them [burmese], but only for low-skilled laborers. For white collar workers, they get the same 1-year visas and work permits as the rest of us. Exactly why low-skilled laborers get 2 years while everyone else only gets 1-year at a time is beyond me...they should really change the system.

First of all they need a pasport, its cost arround 15.000 bath en they apply for it in birma.

It takes 1 day on the border and the same day they are back.

Than the have to go to the hospital for a medical test cost arround 2500 bath.

When the constructor or landlord will let they work on his site he have to make a quota cost about 2500 bath.

And takes 3 days.

Whit this quota en pasport en medical test the constructor/landlord or who else can aply then for a wp for this person cost about 2500 bath.

The person have than only a wp for 1 location where he/she is register by landlord/constructor and not allowed to work some where else whit this wp.

Want the worker works somewhere else than must he/she again to make a medical test (when older than 6 mounths) and change it to the new constructor and workplace (for the same price as above)

All previous postings are total rubbish, a Burmese national (with 100% no documents) can get a temporary (one year) permission to work in Thailand by having someone to guarantor them for work (Thai or Westerner) and by paying 3,900 baht to the labour department (not immigration), this also covers medical insurance. Why do people post such stupid postings when they have no idea what they are commenting about?

All previous postings are total rubbish, a Burmese national (with 100% no documents) can get a temporary (one year) permission to work in Thailand by having someone to guarantor them for work (Thai or Westerner) and by paying 3,900 baht to the labour department (not immigration), this also covers medical insurance. Why do people post such stupid postings when they have no idea what they are commenting about?

two years!

This has been discussed many times here on Thai Visa. Do a search for 'migrant labour permit'.

BrianCR's post is closest to the mark, though as Naam pointed out, the permits are for two years.

They aren't hard to get nor are they prohibitively expensive, so long as the applicant is actually a national of Myanmar, Cambodia or Laos. Sponsors can be Thai or Foreigners who have a long term visa in Thailand, and applications are done via the local labour office. Requirements for 'normal' work permits (min wage, thai staff ratio's and paid up capital) are not applicable for these types of work permits.

This has been discussed many times here on Thai Visa. Do a search for 'migrant labour permit'.

BrianCR's post is closest to the mark, though as Naam pointed out, the permits are for two years.

They aren't hard to get nor are they prohibitively expensive, so long as the applicant is actually a national of Myanmar, Cambodia or Laos. Sponsors can be Thai or Foreigners who have a long term visa in Thailand, and applications are done via the local labour office. Requirements for 'normal' work permits (min wage, thai staff ratio's and paid up capital) are not applicable for these types of work permits.

biggest hurdle is that a lot of migrant workers are "undocumented". Myanmar citizens do not need a regular passport for the work permit but a photo ID which is issued in Thailand by a certain Myanmar authority. don't know what applies to Laotians or Cambodians.

System has changed slightly in the past few years, in that for Myanmar citizens at least, they now need a temp passport issued by the authorities back home (usually just over the border in Mae Sot). With this, they get their non-immigrant visa, are stamped in for 2 years, following which they are issued their WP's.

The process is called 'Nationality Checking' as in previous years all you had to do was claim you were Burmese and you'd get a visa under this programme.

Interesting.

My GF, is here on a student VISA, but if I hire her in my company, I can do this for 3900 thb. She will be able to work in my company for 2 years?

I have a work permit here, so it would be possible for me to hire my GF in my company?

Also, can a Myanmar citizen do job tasks other foreigners are prohibited to do, like drive taxi, work as a food vendor etc?

"Also, can a Myanmar citizen do job tasks other foreigners are prohibited to do, like drive taxi, work as a food vendor etc?"

Now that is a very interesting question - anyone know?

he/she can to do these kind of jobs but is not allowed.

"Also, can a Myanmar citizen do job tasks other foreigners are prohibited to do, like drive taxi, work as a food vendor etc?"

OK I appreciate your sense of humor.

I was hoping they might have some exceptions for the type of work to go along with the easing of paperwork...

OK I appreciate your sense of humor.

I was hoping they might have some exceptions for the type of work to go along with the easing of paperwork...

the permits of most of the migrant workers are issued based on working in construction or fishery industries. but that does not mean they carry out other jobs.

a good example are the "Indian tailors" a lot of resident Farangs are bitching about, i.e. the young men on the boardwalks who bother passing tourists with "suit, shirt and tie only xx dollars Sir!"

they are ethnic Indians who's families are living in Myanmar since generations, generally rather educated and with a fair command of English.

the same applies to the majority of nannies/maids in Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya who are much sought after by foreigners, especially foreign couples with children.