Temple Doi Suthep. Going up NOT by the stairs NOR by the elevator but this time through the air...

rcpilot

For all those would be helicopter pilots here is a note of warning.

Man scalped by remote-controlled helicopter

A teenager has died after being struck in the head by a remote-controlled helicopter he was flying in a city park in the US.

Roman Pirozek, 19, suffered the fatal head injury at Calvert Vaux Park in Brooklyn on Thursday afternoon, police said.

Witnesses told police the helicopter Mr Pirozek was flying crashed into him, cutting off part of the top of his head and slashing his throat. He died at the scene.

Mr Pirozek’s father, who introduced his son to the hobby, is believed to have witnessed the tragedy.

Mr Pirozek was vice-president of a local hobby club and appeared to have been an avid enthusiast of the remote-controlled miniature helicopters.

Videos posted by Pirozek on YouTube and photos on his Facebook page show him working on the machines and flying them.

One clip shows him performing tricks with his Trex 700 helicopter. The video culminates with him dropping the $1500 model from the sky and restarting the rotor when it was just centimetres from his head.

<snip>

Source - http://www.smh.com.au/world/man-scalped-by-remotecontrolled-helicopter-20130906-2t9mm.html

Edited by Tywais
Link to source added, trimmed for fair use laws

A teenager has died after being struck in the head by a remote-controlled helicopter he was flying in a city park in the US.

Roman Pirozek, 19, suffered the fatal head injury at Calvert Vaux Park in Brooklyn on Thursday afternoon, police said.

Witnesses told police the helicopter Mr Pirozek was flying crashed into him, cutting off part of the top of his head and slashing his throat. He died at the scene.

Mr Pirozek’s father, who introduced his son to the hobby, is believed to have witnessed the tragedy.

Mr Pirozek was vice-president of a local hobby club and appeared to have been an avid enthusiast of the remote-controlled miniature helicopters.

Videos posted by Pirozek on YouTube and photos on his Facebook page show him working on the machines and flying them.

One clip shows him performing tricks with his Trex 700 helicopter. The video culminates with him dropping the $1500 model from the sky and restarting the rotor when it was just centimetres from his head.

<snip>

Source - http://www.smh.com.au/world/man-scalped-by-remotecontrolled-helicopter-20130906-2t9mm.html

I don't know much about it,but I do know,that a copter with a fuel (benzin)engine is very different

than the copter with battery charged 4 or 8 small engines.These battery charged are not lethal.

<snip>

I don't know much about it,but I do know,that a copter with a fuel (benzin)engine is very different

than the copter with battery charged 4 or 8 small engines.These battery charged are not lethal.

I looked at some of his videos and he said he is using a Nitro powered benzene engine which has a significant amount of torque, that and the very large solid prop blades makes it significantly more dangerous on contact.

Watching the video clip, some things strike me as being a bit unusual... Helicoptors don't usually fly upside down. The model that he is flying looks like he would be using something else for propulsion and lift, as the rotor seems to be almost stationary at times..... or is that just a optical filming illusion> Some one with more knowledge than I maybe can answer...... RCPilot any comments.

It would seem to me if that rotor was spinning at the speed needed for lift and tilt, it would be a very dangerous weapon

Edited by Gonzo the Face

The model that he is flying looks like he would be using something else for propulsion and lift, as the rotor seems to be almost stationary at times..... or is that just a optical filming illusion>

Strobe effect due to the camera shutter speed matching a multiple of the rotation speed of the blades causing the appearance of stopping.

The model that he is flying looks like he would be using something else for propulsion and lift, as the rotor seems to be almost stationary at times..... or is that just a optical filming illusion>

Strobe effect due to the camera shutter speed matching a multiple of the rotation speed of the blades causing the appearance of stopping.

OH ! ok how about the upside down part

Using a collective pitch (CP) helicopter. The pitch of the blades, that is the angle, and a different shape for aerobatic work are adjustable so you can change which direction the lift works. In his case it may just be the blade shape and design with symmetric top and bottom.

RIP for sure, but he was playing with fire.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Using a collective pitch (CP) helicopter. The pitch of the blades, that is the angle, and a different shape for aerobatic work are adjustable so you can change which direction the lift works. In his case it may just be the blade shape and design with symmetric top and bottom.

Thanks for that Tywais..... great stuff...... now to get some type of innoculation for this bug that seems to be causing me probblems that no doubt will cost a pretty penny

G

now to get some type of innoculation for this bug that seems to be causing me probblems that no doubt will cost a pretty penny

I know what you mean, I think I need a double dose though as spending a lot of time researching this for the last couple of weeks. At first I thought a RTF (ready to fly) set but also wanted to know what all the pieces are that go into one and what they do. Being a techie I'm now looking into building my own. Have access to a machine shop to build the frame and mounting plates. Even found in one of my office drawers a 3 phase motor meant for RC. Believe my technician bought one locally when I was designing a motor system for a project and gave it to me. From the photo by rcpilot, it looks like he built his own and did a fantastic job of it.

Found an excellent Youtube video consisting of 8 or 9 chapters showing how to build one and what all the parts do.

Tywais,
You do know what you are talking about!
The booms I use, 0.5mm thick alu square tube, come from a shop where mosquitodoors, -windows etc. are being made.
You can make both centerplates to hold the booms together out of plywood. Light, strong and easy to make. Spray them with some nice colour and the neighbours will be impressed even more!
I mostly use kits but replace the booms with these alu ones amongst other modifications.

RIP for sure, but he was playing with fire.

This sure is a horrible and bizarre incident.
Laying on a bed in a bunker with walls and ceiling made of 3 meter thick reinforced concrete may be relatively safe but probably you will soon suffer with other more mental problems.
You can subsitute RC helicopter pilot with
Passenger/pilot on a helicopter/fixed wing plane/boat
And to keep it closer to our daily life:
How about being a passenger in a minivan in TH?
How about driver/passenger in a car/motorbike/bicycle in Chiang Mai?
How about walking on the sidewalk?

And how about travelling by train in TH?

Sorry if you have already answered this, rcpilot, by what would it take to extend the length of the video- batteries to fly the 'copter, SD card size, etc ..

My camera is limited to a recording time of 30 minutes. Then it stops. seems to be some legal thing in some global regions.
SD cards, with their large capacity, don't give any practical limitation any longer.
The batteries I use to power my copters give me a flight time of appr. 7 minutes.
Landing, swapping batteries and lift-off gives me another 7 minutes.
  • Like 2

When I said that he was playing with fire- I didn't mean that the ' sport' of rc helicopters was dangerous- just the bit where you put it in a dead fall and restart it above your own head.

RcPilot Would it be possible and would you care to show a photo of your rig? I know I would be very interested in seeing what it looks like and I am pretty sure there are some others who would also like to see it.

G

OK Gonzo the Face, you asked for it.

IMG_8613_800.jpg

You see that the copter is quite simple, it really is a workhorse. The flightcontroller, with compass, accelerometers, gyros, altimeter and gps together with the firmware, with lots of adjustable parameters, makes it a special machine.

Adjusting the parameters makes it a very smooth flying machine. I hardly feel the need for a sophisticated gimbal but one day I will mount one in the airframe.

There are quite some peripherals giving me real time info. An app on the tablet shows a HUD display with flightdata and Google Maps, showing the location of the quad on the map, logs, etc. The app also can give commands to the copter in midair.

The monitor shows me what a tiny videocamera in the copter sees and it also shows me an overlay with a lot of flight data like airspeed, altitude, vario, artificial horizon, pitch, roll, heading, number of gps sats, flight modes, battery conditions and all kinds of warnings. All the info is realtime.

In fact, it is a flying robot. The copter is able to fly missions (with waypoints, loiter, etc.) fully autonomous.

And some day it could crash. Also fully autonomous. That's why I do not fly above crowds, like the Saturday- or Sunday walking streets, or roads with pedestrians, motorbikes, cars, etc.

Enough info?

Unbelievable that such a chopter can make such stunning video's!!!!!

But can you fly it upside down to mow that grass?

That looks like quite a large and heavy camera on your rig. Do you have your still shots on-line....Flickr or something?

Do you take stills or just capture them from your video?

It is a Pana LX7, some 300 grams, I use mostly for the videos.

For stills I use a Canon G11 with special software uploaded to it, makes a shot every second now.

Sorry, I can not show what I have as stills, because they are all shot as "private property" but you can see some at

http://www.century21lanna.com/thailand-chiang-mai-unique-teak-wood-villa-&-country-retreat-en-1339

and

http://www.century21lanna.com/thailand-chiang-mai-golden-palm-resort-estate-en-12375

Only the aerial shots are mine.

• 2 weeks later...