Cheap Nokia Smartphone - Nokia Asha 501?

nkg

Disclaimer: I am no expert on mobile phones, although I am reasonably good with computers :)

My teeruk has been pestering me to buy her a new phone, so I've agreed. She says she has seen a Nokia phone advertised on TV - it sounds like a genuine smartphone from her description - camera, big touchscreen etc.

She said that the price was 3000 Baht - seems very cheap. After a bit of Googling, I think perhaps the model she saw was the Nokia Asha 501?

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Her requirements are internet access, a big screen, a basic camera and Facebook. And for some reason she really really wants a Nokia.

I bought a Nokia 720 for my wife and she loves it. The operating system is windows so it is very easy to operate and to connect to our computers. I have a HTC and I hate it... It has colors that women love. Buy her one or two...

Edited by yimlitnoy

Thanks for the Lumia 720 mention. The on/off/sleep switch on my iPhone 4 broke and I'm thinking that's a signal to get a new phone. The price of the Lumia 720 is sure better than a new iPhone 5. smile.png Granted, less pixel density and slower processor than iPhone 5 (probably on a par with my iPhone 4?), but I think I could live with that.

Is there a way to browse the Windows Store for a Windows Phone before buying it? I'd like to see what apps are actually available for a Windows 8 phone.

Thanks for the advice!

I bought a Nokia Asha 311 in the end. It seems like a decent enough phone, but the screen is a little on the small side (3 inches) and the resolution isn't great. In hindsight, I should have probably bought a Nokia Lumia 520 - 5500 Baht from Big C. The Asha is still a nice phone though for 3500 Baht.

Big C don't do refunds or replacements for mobile phones, so if you buy from there, choose carefully!

Thanks for the advice!

I bought a Nokia Asha 311 in the end. It seems like a decent enough phone, but the screen is a little on the small side (3 inches) and the resolution isn't great. In hindsight, I should have probably bought a Nokia Lumia 520 - 5500 Baht from Big C. The Asha is still a nice phone though for 3500 Baht.

Big C don't do refunds or replacements for mobile phones, so if you buy from there, choose carefully!

By law they have to refund or exchange within 7 days of purchase.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6