Big Boy Is Back

britmaveric

Big Boy is back

bull4182006-4947-1.jpg

Back in the neighborhood: Big Boy, photographed by Milton Lister of West Coast Divers.

PHANG NGA: A popular whale shark nicknamed “Big Boy” has been spotted off Koh Surin, and around Richelieu Rock, Hin Daeng and Hin Muang, Pakdee Khruthanang of the Phuket Eco-Tourism Association told the Gazette today.

“Big Boy has been spotted off Koh Surin nearly daily since the beginning of last month,” she said.

“He is about eight meters long and weighs more than a ton. Whale sharks average about five meters in length, but can grow to as large as 12 meters,” K. Pakdee explained.

She recommended that tourists and divers alike take the opportunity to see this prime example of the world’s largest fish. “Whale sharks live in oceans with water temperatures between 21ºC and 26ºC, and Big Boy migrates from Alaska every year to escape the cold temperatures there,” she said.

“Now is the best time of the year to see him. He is rarely spotted here after April,” she added.

K. Pakdee said that another, smaller whale shark has been spotted in the same areas. “It is five meters long and has been nicknamed ‘Son of Big Boy’ by local divers,” she said.

Dive companies frequently complain that whale shark sightings have become increasingly rare due to the activities of fishing boats in the Andaman Sea.

-Phuket Gazette

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

companies frequently complain that whale shark sightings have become increasingly rare due to the activities of fishing boats in the Andaman Sea.

And of course, the numerous dive-boats with their hundreds of paying guests that swarm around any whale-shark that has been spotted has nothing to do with the rarer sightings?

Sir Burr,

Meeting a whale shark in Thai waters is pure luck.

Whenever one shows up on a Thai dive site, only the divers present at that moment can enjoy it.

IMHO it has indeed nothing to do with your remark.

Edited by limbos

companies frequently complain that whale shark sightings have become increasingly rare due to the activities of fishing boats in the Andaman Sea.

And of course, the numerous dive-boats with their hundreds of paying guests that swarm around any whale-shark that has been spotted has nothing to do with the rarer sightings?

Earlier closing hours have nothing to do with it, I suppose........

Quote - "She recommended that tourists and divers alike take the opportunity to see this prime example of the world’s largest fish. “Whale sharks live in oceans with water temperatures between 21ºC and 26ºC, and Big Boy migrates from Alaska every year to escape the cold temperatures there,” she said."

LEAVE HIM ALONE :o

Big Boy is back

bull4182006-4947-1.jpg

PHANG NGA: A popular whale shark nicknamed “Big Boy” has been spotted off Koh Surin, and around Richelieu Rock, Hin Daeng and Hin Muang, Pakdee Khruthanang of the Phuket Eco-Tourism Association told the Gazette today.

-Phuket Gazette

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Obviously one reason for hte3 lack of Eco Tourism. Its the first time i have even heard of them.

I did find their website http://phuketeco.com/ (also old links for www.phuketeco.org that didnt work).

There are 5 members . Probably just an orgainization trying to get money from tour operators fro their lame endoresement. Clearly clueless. COuld be why the Gazette printed the quoate, because it does sound sort of ..stupid.

Sir Burr,

Whenever one shows up on a Thai dive site, only the divers present at that moment can enjoy it.

It's pure luck for an individual diver. They have a very small chance of seeing a whale-shark, but, from the shark's point of view, it has a 100% chance of running into divers at Similan, as there are always divers there (in fact, far too many).

If the shark gets stressed, then maybe it chooses not to go back again. Sounds logical to me.

When I was diving the Similan islands in the eighties, whale-sharks were not all that uncommon, but then again, there were only ten to twenty divers there at any one time.

PS. Once word gets around that there is a whale shark at the Similans (like now), the dive shops go into a frenzy advertising this fact to drum up customers. Whale sharks usually stick around for a few days and sometimes even weeks.

Is the dive shop you work for displaying the Gazette article?

Edited by Sir Burr

to see or download mini-video of whale shark report, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=169751

from Andaman News TV11 Phuket City, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, 10.05am Tuesday 18 April 2006 & www.Thaisnews.com

Five beautiful whale sharks about 8 metres long were just seen again at the famous diving point of Richelieu Rocks near Surin Islands by divers during March to this April. It is believed that the creatures came out looking for plankton near the islands as there are rich sources here, and this is a favourite place for divers although whale sightings are not always guaranteed. The information was given to press members during a governor meets the press conference yesterday at the provincial hall. Whale sharks are reported to be the world’s largest cool blooded animals and like to live in 21 – 26 centigrade sea water. In Thailand they are mostly found near the Richelieu, Purple and Red rocks in the Andaman Sea.

to see or download mini-video of whale shark report, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=169751

from Andaman News TV11 Phuket City, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, 10.05am Tuesday 18 April 2006 & www.Thaisnews.com

Five beautiful whale sharks about 8 metres long were just seen again at the famous diving point of Richelieu Rocks near Surin Islands by divers during March to this April. It is believed that the creatures came out looking for plankton near the islands as there are rich sources here, and this is a favourite place for divers although whale sightings are not always guaranteed. The information was given to press members during a governor meets the press conference yesterday at the provincial hall. Whale sharks are reported to be the world’s largest cool blooded animals and like to live in 21 – 26 centigrade sea water. In Thailand they are mostly found near the Richelieu, Purple and Red rocks in the Andaman Sea.

Its a mystery then why Richelieu is not protected under the jurisdiction of a National Park. The Boundry ends somewhere south of it. Strange really.

That wasn't very clear, since it was posted under my quote.

However, I do agree that better behaviour by divers upon meeting a whale shark may cause more sightings.

Apparently it's not good to touch a whaleshark, since man's natural skin oils can damage the whaleshark's skin. On the other thand, it's been said that whalesharks like the bubbles under their skin when divers are below them.

That wasn't very clear, since it was posted under my quote.

However, I do agree that better behaviour by divers upon meeting a whale shark may cause more sightings.

Apparently it's not good to touch a whaleshark, since man's natural skin oils can damage the whaleshark's skin. On the other thand, it's been said that whalesharks like the bubbles under their skin when divers are below them.

Speaking of thands.... if there were ruly, RUUUUUULY HUGE thands that could exploit whalesharks to their fullest economic capabilities ..........

Do you FINK the whalesharks would mind????????? :o

Opposite of finks.

Any diver would want to see a whale shark, it's only natural curiousity. If the dive operators organize shark spotting tours it's greed. If the shark has been spotted nearby and there are only two dive boats in the area, why not take your chance. If there are dozens of boats, then operators should exercise their judgement. Next time the shark might not come at all.

I'm against a total ban on shark spotting - just leave it to your luck, not greed.

Opposite of finks.

Any diver would want to see a whale shark, it's only natural curiousity. If the dive operators organize shark spotting tours it's greed. If the shark has been spotted nearby and there are only two dive boats in the area, why not take your chance. If there are dozens of boats, then operators should exercise their judgement. Next time the shark might not come at all.

I'm against a total ban on shark spotting - just leave it to your luck, not greed.

I agree totally, I'd rather run across something naturally and be pleased then go out with the intended purpose of finding a Wale Shark. :o

Sir Burr,

It's pure luck for an individual diver. They have a very small chance of seeing a whale-shark, but, from the shark's point of view, it has a 100% chance of running into divers at Similan, as there are always divers there (in fact, far too many).

If the shark gets stressed, then maybe it chooses not to go back again. Sounds logical to me.

When I was diving the Similan islands in the eighties, whale-sharks were not all that uncommon, but then again, there were only ten to twenty divers there at any one time.

PS. Once word gets around that there is a whale shark at the Similans (like now), the dive shops go into a frenzy advertising this fact to drum up customers. Whale sharks usually stick around for a few days and sometimes even weeks.

Is the dive shop you work for displaying the Gazette article?

Better here than in Japan though.Those dirty buggers kill them.

how do we know it's not a big girl? bloody chauvinists! :o

Whale Sharks are quite timid considering they're size....? So if he wasn't happy he'd go....?

As said before, if I happened across one I'd be chuffed to bits but, I'd not go out of my way to find one. One of my greatest dreams in life is to swim with a Great White, something that really couldn't give a <deleted> if you're there or not. Maybe they should make a rule, you can only see the Whale Shark if you've swum bareback with a Great White.... :o

redrus

Whale Sharks are quite timid considering they're size....? So if he wasn't happy he'd go....?

As said before, if I happened across one I'd be chuffed to bits but, I'd not go out of my way to find one. One of my greatest dreams in life is to swim with a Great White, something that really couldn't give a <deleted> if you're there or not. Maybe they should make a rule, you can only see the Whale Shark if you've swum bareback with a Great White.... :D

redrus

I bet Mr Great White could give a <deleted> if he/she* was hungry. :o

* No assumption on gender. :D

Edited by chuchok